PM angry at us

Hi guys,

I need some info urgent please!! We have an IP in a country town about 2hours from Perth. Our IP is on the market for the last 8 months and a week ago we got a renewal form to sign for the agent to have the authority to sell our house. We took that away from him but kept the property manage side still with him and today we got an e-mail from him saying he is not going to PM our property anymore due to the fact we took the selling part of the house away from him. Can he do that although we signed a manage form that states he can manage the property until August. Is there someone I can call for advice please???

Kind Regards
Blikkies

I don't understand people in business who turn down paid work. I use agents for a "leasing only" service to find me tenants who I then manage myself. I have been told by quite a few agencies that they don't provide that service.

I don't understand people in business who turn down paid work. I use agents for a "leasing only" service to find me tenants who I then manage myself. I have been told by quite a few agencies that they don't provide that service.

That is because finding suitable tenants and setting up the lease is the hardest part of managing. The "cream" comes from the ~10% they collect for being a rent depository.

That is because finding suitable tenants and setting up the lease is the hardest part of managing. The "cream" comes from the ~10% they collect for being a rent depository.
Plenty of agents offer this service. Fees are over $1k per tenant found. Not too bad.

Plenty of agents offer this service. Fees are over $1k per tenant found. Not too bad.

Wow didnt know it was 1k. Perth PMs for ya.

I still wouldnt offer that service I dont think. Put the effort into doing something, would at least want income stream from it. And the value increase to the asset base (rent roll).

Hi guys,

I need some info urgent please!! We have an IP in a country town about 2hours from Perth. Our IP is on the market for the last 8 months and a week ago we got a renewal form to sign for the agent to have the authority to sell our house. We took that away from him but kept the property manage side still with him and today we got an e-mail from him saying he is not going to PM our property anymore due to the fact we took the selling part of the house away from him. Can he do that although we signed a manage form that states he can manage the property until August. Is there someone I can call for advice please???

Kind Regards
Blikkies

You need to read your PM contract with him. In it, it will stipulate when and how the contract can be terminated.

It's **** of him to do that though. He could make more money from PMing the place than selling it most likely.

To answer the first question. yes the agent can cancel the management agreement but has to give the same notice you are required to give them if you wanted to exit the agreement. check your management agreement for this time frame.

regarding let only

a lot of agencies don't do let only as its not covered under there insurance.
and they may be liable for any issues. or they don't have the time and would prefer to spend the time they have on the owners that pay for the full service

most owner managers don't follow the rules and the tenant always calls the agent who ends up dealing with it.

Every time i have done a let only i have always had issues only around 5 in the past 2 years.

Our IP is on the market for the last 8 months

due to the fact we took the selling part of the house away from him. Can he do that although we signed a manage form that states he can manage the property until August.

understandable, you haven't given him very long and he must have been T-H-I-S close to getting a contract signed up on it :rolleyes:

Wow didnt know it was 1k. Perth PMs for ya.

I still wouldnt offer that service I dont think. Put the effort into doing something, would at least want income stream from it. And the value increase to the asset base (rent roll).

Hi

I agree with this comment. Why go to all the work to find a good tenant to not have them in one of your loyal landlords properties who are prepared to pay you commission on the monthly rentals which also adds to the overall value of your rent roll...wise decision.

Or maybe the agent can put a problem tenant into an investor's property that doesn't want to commit to the agent's rental management!

Regards,

alicudi

I agree with this comment. Why go to all the work to find a good tenant to not have them in one of your loyal landlords properties who are prepared to pay you commission on the monthly rentals which also adds to the overall value of your rent roll...wise decision.

Or maybe the agent can put a problem tenant into an investor's property that doesn't want to commit to the agent's rental management!
I don't know about problem tenants because I never paid an agent to find me a tenant who turned out to be a problem. My last tenant in Melbourne was looking for an owner managed property because he was so fed up with property managers. Actually, I have had a few tenants who were looking for owner managed properties over the years. They have been my best tenants.

Back