PO Box

Howdy

Just wondering how many of you use a PO box?
As much as I try to Virtualize all of my mail, there are still silly companies that like to send snail mail.
Is this Fee tax Deductible?

Cheers

We use a po box, it was initially because we moved around lots a few years back, but we have kept it becasue its only about $2 per week and it feels a bit more secure than having all your mail hanging out of your letterbox. My work is only a 5 min walk from the post office so I just walk up and check it at lunch time, so not really inconvenient.

In most circumstances its no tax deductible because its a private expense.

I do, but use it for everything and have never claimed it....good for those online shopping purchases ;) Has been very handy when I moved house a few times though!

Howdy

Just wondering how many of you use a PO box?
As much as I try to Virtualize all of my mail, there are still silly companies that like to send snail mail.
Is this Fee tax Deductible?

Cheers

Yes, cheap for a 'small' box like $65 a year. But you need to access it.... mine is a place where i need to drive.

In my business I need to to have packages delivered so I have the office address, daily get the posties delivering the packages to reception, no worried about privacy so it works fine for us.

Has its advantages, but gets a little painful if you have to lift your butt to get to the box on a regular basis.

Cheers, Ivan

Works out well when I remember to actually check it :rolleyes:

When I was living in Australia I used to have one.

I would then pay an additional fee to have it re-directed to either my work or home address.
This was also cheap, it just saved me from changing my address everytime I moved (which was regularly).

Blacky

Been using one for many years, it's very handy.

If you're willing to pay extra, you can also get the post office to send a text message when you've got mail. Saves a visit when if there's nothing in there.

When I was living in Australia I used to have one.

I would then pay an additional fee to have it re-directed to either my work or home address.
This was also cheap, it just saved me from changing my address everytime I moved (which was regularly).

Blacky

This is exactly the service I was hoping they provided.
Don't want to miss out on my tip vouchers!!!!!

I've been using one for years but have nearly transferred all my mail to electronic emails. There are still a couple of bills that I can only get through snail mail but they will eventually be transferred to emails as well. Now I would only receive mail every few weeks. I just keep the po box for online purchases now. Once I make a purchase I give it a week or two then go check my po box and collect what ever other letters I have received.

I would if there was a post office with PO boxes that I could conveniently access. The one closest to home is way too busy and I could never get a spot which would infuriate me. And there's not one anywhere near my work so I'd have to drive somewhere to get it. So if they put some closer to my house I'd definitely get one.

I'd rather it close to home than to work as I can't imagine anything worse than having to drive all the way to work just to pick up my mail if I was having a day off!

My mortgage broker asked me to consider PO box and redirect all investment related mails there to safeguard against identity theft.

It is a bit hassle to go and collect them though.

PO Box all the way. Business and personal.

We have moved a few times in the last year and wouldn't be without one.

Aside from the above, it offer security that a normal box can't really, and offers you some address anonymity for certain things.

Won't miss out on tip vouchers. The council know where all of your properties are anyways as they have to charge you rates!

I know a few who have boxes in a few different areas to make it look like their businesses/& IPs are local.

A redirection only lasts 6 months. Why would you redirect your mail to your personal address considering the risk of lost mail or theft?

I can't avoid some items that are sent home eg OFT, licenses etc but you can get a redirection for these.

Snails and redbacks love our mailbox so we'll stick with Australia Post.

Luckyone, have you considered MBE for an alternative mailbox? or collection at night/before work? They have the mail boxed by 9:00am usually earlier (can collect parcel post from 6:00am).

I've had one for a decade.

I used to run a website and got sent a few dozen CDs every week to review. It didn't take long before someone was pinching my mail on a regular basis and I had to get the PO Box.

Mail can be redirected indefinitely so long as you pay the fee. Better off getting a large enough letter box that will cater, securely, small letters, large letters and most parcels. I've seen such a letterbox near a dealer's house.

It's built into the brick fence (made of metal) and stands abou a metre high. Top section for letters, bottom for parcels ..up to say 400mm wide x 300mm high x 300 mm deep could fit in it.

Back