Pods over granny flat

Hi all

I'm looking into building a pod for my dad on his property. This is for him to live in and ren the main house. Looking at the price it looks really good. The land is big and there is a detached garage, is it easy to get council approval?

What exactly is a pod? Could you please provide a link or company name? You would need to check the relevant Council's LEP to see if it's permissible to have the dwelling on the property.

Yes that's what I meant... I know you can build 1 bedroom granny for like 70k but trying to keep the cost down as possible. my dad is not fussed and it doesn't have to been really nice or anything... just something he can live in and earn some income from the house... my mum passed away not long ago and he's old and unemployed... house is paid off and only has small amount saved... just trying to help him have a comfortable life

here's a couple of pod examples from APG "from" $34,797.00

Exterior

mypod9_4.jpg

Two Bed

apg_jupiter_floorplan.jpg

& One Bed Open Plan

apg_venus_floorplan.jpg

v-petn,

Each council is different, but generally they are sympathetic to this style of expansion.

Would probably pay to have a word with a town planner or a pod manufacturer in your area. They know the councils and which way to go.

Best of luck for you and your dad!

here's a couple of pod examples from APG "from" $34,797.00

Yea but people just dont realise how much these 'kits' cost to finish off:

Foundations: $7k
Plumbing $7k
Electrical $5k
Approvals $5k
BASIX (energy efficiency) Commitments: $7k
TOTAL: $70k+

You can build a fully appointed and insured granny flat with really good internals, 600mm eaves, concrete roof etc for that. Kit companies just deliver and run like the wind. Then you realise the above costs are not only substantial, your left with a crappy job in the end. That's my experience of it and Im in the industry.

Back