polished floorboards

I've recently purchased a 1910-20s Edward house. It has polished Baltic pine floorboards which we intend to repolish prior to moving in. How do you know if you can repolish? I.e is the wood sufficiently thick

I've recently purchased a 1910-20s Edward house. It has polished Baltic pine floorboards which we intend to repolish prior to moving in. How do you know if you can repolish? I.e is the wood sufficiently thick

Get a quote from a professional floor sander/polisher.

Its worth spending the money. I've seen some really dreadful DIY on this and it devalues the property instead of adding value.

Main problem I would think is if there are lots of small holes showing in the wood.Sometimes if they have been restored before you will see the use of putty in these holes and also another tell-tail is new wood being a little different in color.

If you have these holes just imagine it as a honeycomb timber very fragile and easily to fall through or high heels will hole it easily.

An expert will be able to confirm.

Stick a bit of cardboard between the boards until it hits the tounge this will show you how much depth is left in the boards.

hi everyone, didnt think my question warranted a new thread
2m27yw7.jpg

ex DOH House, is it possible just to touch up the floorboards without having to spend $2000 polishing the entire house? I will if i have to but I seriously think im overcaptilising being a DOH house and DOH area

obviously looking for best bang for buck, was hoping I could get some stuff and just glide over it

2m27yw7.jpg

ex DOH House, is it possible just to touch up the floorboards without having to spend $2000 polishing the entire house? I will if i have to but I seriously think im overcaptilising being a DOH house and DOH area

obviously looking for best bang for buck, was hoping I could get some stuff and just glide over it

First give the floor a good clean to get rid of the plaster grit, dirt and wax, then try to work out what the current surface finish is.

If it's oiled then it can be re-oiled again quite simply. An oiled finish will look rather like bare timber with no thick glossy layer covering it. It if has a thick layer it's probably a polyurethane finish. This cannot be re-coated, it can only be sanded off and re-done completely.

2m27yw7.jpg

it'll probably have polyurethane and will most likely need resanding. looks worn through the polish in a few areas too? best get a pro in to have a look and give you your options

The picture says everything,
Ring a professional,ask him what product is on it and ask for a quote for a light sand and one coat to freshen it up.

If it to expensive,you already have the right information so you can do it yourself if you want.

Back