Polished Pine in rental?

After advice on polishing pine boards for my current PPOR which will eventually become a rental. Have ripped all carpets up, radiata pine is in reasonable condition for a home built in 1980.

I'm trying to steer clear of the yellow/orange look in which the pine generally comes out over time. Floor sander has noted best option is water based as it will not yellow and says both are very well wearing. Was going to go with a lime wash to keep floors light but apparently this adds significant costs.. Does anyone have advice or knowledge of which is best for a potential rental? Thanks in advance.

Price for water based was approx $2100 and polyurethane approx $1800.

Other option is to fit bamboo floating floors although the levels of the pine substrate are out by upto 20mm over 4m span in areas therefor am reluctant to choose floating. Polished boards are also easy..

Attached is an image of the floors in current state (awaiting new kitchen :D)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 98
I have radiata pine in my ppor. We got ours sanded and stained a dark colour so it,is less likely to show up any marks. It cost us $2500 cash for 100m2

I have radiata pine in my ppor. We got ours sanded and stained a dark colour so it,is less likely to show up any marks. It cost us $2500 cash for 100m2

Hi Brian, how has it worn? and did you go water based? I am nervous about the softness of the radiata pine but I'm sure it will be ok.. a few imperfections always add to the character I say!

We got it done in nov 2011 and the colour and shine is still the same as the day they did it. I think it might have been oil based but I'm not 100% as I wasn't there when they did the staining. I wouldn't recommend the misses and her friends wear high heels on the floor as you said it is pretty soft. I have a 2yo son who likes to drag stuff around the house which has marked it a bit. If your just walking on it normally and not dragging stuff then you will be fine.

Floorboards in two of our rentals are baltic pine, we ripped up carpets and had them polished and coated with water based coatings about 2 years ago. Tenants have a dog and so far the floors have held up very well. No major scratches or marks when I last inspected a month or two back.

Gives the places a wow factor and more hygienic than carpets.

Hi Dan,

I would recommend you do what Brian has done. Don't go to the expense of a new floor if you don't need to - especially for a rental.

If you go for a darker stain it will tend to minimise the knots in the Radiata Pine too.

Keep your walls a light colour to make sure not too much light is sucked out of the room though!

Pine I find is very soft.

Just ensure you have exclusion clauses for damages above normal west and tear. No heels on floorboards, furniture protectors ect.

Back