Polished Porcelain Tiles

hi folks

I'm undecided whether to use polished porcelain or use the matt finish. The polished porcelain looks awesome. Tile shop owners have recommended not to use polished porcelain if it's for a rental property as these tiles are prone to scratching.

What would you recommend?

All indoor tiles are slippery when wet.

Porcelain tiles are tougher than ceramic tiles they should not scratch. However, as they have a smooth shiny surface dust and scuff marks will show up more.

I was debating the same issue with my current property. After speaking to my tiler, he suggested I go for the matt finish because if it gets a chip in it, they can use an epoxy to fix it and you can barely tell if it's a neutral colour. If it's gloss he said you would always see any attempt to fix it up. I am glad I went with the matt in the end. But I guess it depends on whether it's your PPOR or purely for investment purposes.

Inspected a house with tiling in all living areas, there were 3 badly damaged tiles, would have cost a fortune to replace all the tiling.

Inspected a house with tiling in all living areas, there were 3 badly damaged tiles, would have cost a fortune to replace all the tiling.

I always buy 1 box of tiles for spares when I purchase new tiles. It's easy to knock out a tile or two if it's cracked or damaged and replace, just difficult to source an exact replacement years later.

If you ever see damaged tiles in a property you can always ask if the owner has any spares to replace, or check under the house for a spare box (if possible).

Back