POLL: Using water when Showering effects : Please Help!

When you are showering and someone else starts to shower...

• Showers on the same level. No effect, can't feel it. No Interference.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Showers on the same level. Minor affect, can still shower and make it through.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Showers on the same level. Majorly affected, Freezing cold water. No pressure. *Cry*

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I'm on level 1 and ground floor showers. No effect, can't feel it. No Interference.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I'm on level 1 and ground floor showers. Minor affect, can still shower and make it through.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I'm on level 1 and ground floor showers. Majorly affected, Freezing cold water. No pressure. *Cry*

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The place I live only has 1 shower.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other?_______. If other please post what happens?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi All,

I'm doing a quick poll to confirm my understanding. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Basically this question is for anyone living in a house with multiple bathrooms (showers). Especially if you live in a house when the showers are upstairs and downstairs.

When you shower and someone else then enters their shower and turns on the hot and cold water to shower, are you affected, if so how badly affected are you?

Golden rule in our house - check to see if anyone is in a shower BEFORE turning on another shower, bath, dishwasher or washing machine.

We are big time affected. Even if it's just the cold water being turned on for dishwasher or washing machine. It steals the water from the shower in our house disrupting their temperature.

New PPOR is getting 2 water systems - yay!

Golden rule in our house - check to see if anyone is in a shower BEFORE turning on another shower, bath, dishwasher or washing machine.

We are big time affected. Even if it's just the cold water being turned on for dishwasher or washing machine. It steals the water from the shower in our house disrupting their temperature.

New PPOR is getting 2 water systems - yay!

Hi Thanks for your response, I understand, cooperation is the key.. and alot of users here will post along these lines like say check if others are using the shower, check if others using washing machine or dishwasher ... HOWEVER Please still answer the poll. It will help my study. Thank you for your time.

I grew up in a 2 storey house and it was the rule that you do not use the water if someone is in the shower so we always announced when we were about to have a shower and when we were finished.

Then when my husband and I moved in together I would always get burnt/frozen in the shower so after a while I asked him not to use the water when I was in the shower and this was a completely foreign concept to him as he had never had this issue. His response to me asking him not to use the water while I'm in the shower is "That never happens when I'm in the shower" *sigh* no, it doesn't dear because I don't use the water when you're in the shower.... Even after 11 years of living together he still 'forgot' about the no water when showering rule.

Now we're in a new PPOR that has tank water to the toilets and washing machine so I now mostly get to have temperature consistent showers!

Whoops... shared my story before seeing post #3....

When you shower and someone else then enters their shower and turns on the hot and cold water to shower, are you affected, if so how badly affected are you?

well that would entirely depend if the other person taking the shower was in the shower with me !!!!!

How badly it would effect me: id be devastated

I have two HWS at the PPOR so not a problem.

However, bought a Beach House and have discovered if I turn on the water upstairs when son is in the shower downstairs it does affect the water supply....he is not happy. So now he calls out when he is going in the shower.

Not used to sharing these days :)

Chris

We only have one shower but make an effort not to use the washing machine or other taps in the house while someone's in the shower. Otherwise it results in getting either scalded or frozen! Typically both, in short succession :eek:

since we have young kids, our hot water is not burning hot. So, having two showers is always an issue. Also, I have purposely reduced the water pressure from the mains so that water doesn't blast through, which impacts two showers.

I discussed this issue with plumber at our house.

Many shower heads have flow limiting valves HIDDEN inside them. We found that was our solution. When our pool went in Syd water required water limiting devices. Shower head was replaced. It had flow dial and also a flow limiting sleeve hidden inside. Combined effect was like vapour !! Plumber put our old head back on and problem was solved.

These days many new builds have these stupid devices and nobody realises. Can be inside taps, shower heads etc...

I have only showered on the 2nd level not the ground level. Shower is slightly affected. However it takes forever (about 2 minutes) for the water to become warm.

I discussed this issue with plumber at our house.

Many shower heads have flow limiting valves HIDDEN inside them. We found that was our solution. When our pool went in Syd water required water limiting devices. Shower head was replaced. It had flow dial and also a flow limiting sleeve hidden inside. Combined effect was like vapour !! Plumber put our old head back on and problem was solved.

These days many new builds have these stupid devices and nobody realises. Can be inside taps, shower heads etc...

We had a similar problem once. The shower went down to a drizzle because of the multiple restrictors. Just removed the restrictors and flow was perfect.

Too bad for the Murray though.

I had a freezing dribble this morning while my daughter was also having a shower. But in our house I know what the problem is. When the solar hot water system was installed, the very nice plumber at Solahart advised that a thicker tube should be used coming from the hot water system. I can't remember what he called it.. If a normal width is used, water distribution through the house is minimised, especially if two people want to have a shower at the same time. Unfortunately, the builder's plumber used the thin pipe, so we are stuck with it.

I got around this problem by using the neighbours shower. The only condition was that I had to occasionally mow his lawn. Thought that was fair.

Too a small or large extent, this has always been the case in every house I've lived.

Hi All,

I'm doing a quick poll to confirm my understanding. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Basically this question is for anyone living in a house with multiple bathrooms (showers). Especially if you live in a house when the showers are upstairs and downstairs.

How old are you?

To confirm my understanding.

Back