Poll: What's your annual household income from your day job only?

What's your annual household income from your job only?

• $0 - $50k

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • $51 - $70k

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • $71 - $90k

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • $91 - $110k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $111 - $130k

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • $131 - $150k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $151 - $170k

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $171k - $190k

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • $191 - $210k

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • $211 - $230k

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • $231 - $250k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $251 - $270k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $271 - $290k

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • $291 - $310k

• $311 - $330k

• $331 - $350k

• $351 - $370k

• $371 - $390k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $391 - $410k

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $410k+

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Piston broke

I didnt know accumulating assets, education and culture were necessarily mutually exclusive...

Formal Education can be the most overrated of them all though. I have 3 degrees and most of the world realises the major advantage of a formal education is the piece of paper you get at the end of it (the end justifies the means).....

They are not.
Though some may get that impression reading a "son of many dads" books, and reading this forum.
Maybe your degrees are just a piece of paper because you did'nt go for the education but the piece of paper, as most seem to do.

Everyday is an education - I dont need a dude in a tweed jacket with a phd to legitimise it! (I say this having done just that).

Education for the sake of education is a seperate issue. In the main education systems are set up to help people get JOBS. People get jobs to earn money. If you can bypass one part of the process you should!

Comment about the high incomes.

My sources tell me that partners at the big law, consulting and accounting firms can typically make $500K in a decent year. Becoming a partner in most places is a fairly difficult task involving years of 80 hour weeks getting paid less than you are worth. I've heard it described as a pyramid scheme. In most of the accounting firms the grad intake might be 200 per year of whom 1 will make partner is 10-20 years time.

I know some guys in IT who make very large $$$ contracting. $200/hr is not uncommon, that projects to around $400K.

The figures are often quite unbelievable but in the corporate setting if you are working on Billion dollar deals then spending $10 million for the lawyers/accountants/etc.. to make sure everything is correct is less than 1% of the total cost.

Everyday is an education - I dont need a dude in a tweed jacket with a phd to legitimise it! (I say this having done just that).

Education for the sake of education is a seperate issue. In the main education systems are set up to help people get JOBS. People get jobs to earn money. If you can bypass one part of the process you should!

yeah, why do we still even have these idiots going to uni & spending all that time becoming surgeons etc ?:rolleyes:

Monty Python - All those things count for something..... but not much!

I dont tend to gravitate towards people with 5 degrees, enjoy scrabble and watch antique roadshow. I dont avoid them either. its is what it is. Like wealth creation.

Jaycee...and yes their are some professions where an education is important -building, accounting and brain surgery for example. Although surgeons are just motor mechanics with robes and fast cars. Its funny how you mentioned surgeons and not a plastering apprenticeship as an example of education!

(Education has always been used as a bit of class thing over the centuries)

Formal education for the sake of education is neither here nor there.

(BTW I went to melbourne high school and was dux of my Post Grad University faculty...so you might assume I would take the other side).

And yes I am as ambivalent about my spelling as i am about other things.

Cheers
Aussie (in an argumentative mood)

Last edited:
Sorry to go off-topic - I just find when someone can't be bothered spelling words correctly or putting together a proper sentence, it makes their message less meaningful, as perhaps they are not as clever as they would like to seem? I'm not saying I'm clever, that's just how I react when reading posts. No offence intended, it just takes so much longer to decipher the meaning hidden among the misspelt words and confusing sentences.

I've said it before high incomes have nothing to do with real wealth. In the context of wealth generation, only what you do with what's left over after all the spending is important. This has been a painful lesson for me after seeing the successes people can have on this forum on one tenth of my income.

Amen.

Just as I know many who's wages are 10 times mine and have bugger all in terms of net wealth.
And to make it worse their lifestyle is that of a "Rat in the city."
Good name for my next book lol

"Rat in the city":
The life of a poor millioniare that never had spare time...

yeah, why do we still even have these idiots going to uni & spending all that time becoming surgeons etc ?:rolleyes:

Used to be able to become a doctor through an apprenticeship.

I don't think that becoming a doctor is something that should still be done as an apprenticeship, but there is plenty of very important jobs that could/should be.

I also hate the stupidity of Uni, how it forces skilled workers shortages on us, doctors are a good example, make the UAI requirements stupidly high to limit the number of places to a number smaller than we require to have the appropriate number of doctors in the country.

Monty - You are allowed your own prejudices. My prejudice is about people who dont think before they speak (or write) not necessarily the spelling.

Ive looked at every major philisophical / religious book and none of them mention good spelling as a way to the kingdom of god!

And yes im being cheeky again..

cheeky is fine - just expressing my opinion like everyone else ;)
I would love to have the time to read every philosophical book there is ...

Working is far better then a degree IMO for fast tracking your investments.

I agree, for the record i am quite smart and i don't see the relevance of proving this on a piece of paper. Thus why i didn't bother applying for anything to further my education.

(sorry to offend anyone that may believe school is "the" way to go)

But working is more than just for fast tracking investments, IMO it's reality, what do you learn about life with your head in books? You get no expeirence and many come out as naive teens when they're actually 20 something.

Apologies for taking the thread back i've been without internet!!

I respectfully disagree.

Going to university allowed me to further my education in order to get a professional job. As an actuary I'll be able to earn upwards of $250k when I qualify (and for those who say they have no work-life balance... work in a consulting firm! It's great :) )

Without having gone to university, my UAI of 99.75 would have virtually counted for nothing... I wonder what job I would've ended up in? I've done my fair share of retail work as a student and that's probably what I would've ended up doing without going to uni.

I respectfully disagree.

Going to university allowed me to further my education in order to get a professional job. As an actuary I'll be able to earn upwards of $250k when I qualify (and for those who say they have no work-life balance... work in a consulting firm! It's great :) )

Without having gone to university, my UAI of 99.75 would have virtually counted for nothing... I wonder what job I would've ended up in? I've done my fair share of retail work as a student and that's probably what I would've ended up doing without going to uni.

And that works for you, so that's great! (and with a UAI of 99.75 the course you did would actually be one that deserves to be at a uni, so in your case uni may have been the better option)

I must say i was going to go to uni for the whole "i can earn more with a degree", then i woke up realising studying for 8 years wasn't my thing, and that there are many other ways to do it.

As for the retail thing, i did that too, hated it. But IMO you put limits on yourself, if you say that's where you'd probably be without uni, then that's where you'd be. (no offence intended!)

I may at some stage go to uni, but not to further my education. It would be to guarentee myself a job in an industry, but only if a degree was absolutely needed to do that job.

Fair 'nuff. Coming from an Asian background it was always engrained into me to go to uni and get a good job! It's funny how one can be very much a product of one's upbringing...

I'm very much looking forward to going back to uni. To further my education, for fun.

School really wasn't my thing.

Very smart, but never did my work :eek: half the time i was telling the teacher they were wrong, or being so loud that no one could get anything done. :D

(then again the classes i took didn't have many in them!)

Back