Poll: What's your annual household income from your day job only?

What's your annual household income from your job only?

• $0 - $50k

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • $51 - $70k

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • $71 - $90k

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • $91 - $110k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $111 - $130k

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • $131 - $150k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $151 - $170k

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $171k - $190k

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • $191 - $210k

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • $211 - $230k

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • $231 - $250k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $251 - $270k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $271 - $290k

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • $291 - $310k

• $311 - $330k

• $331 - $350k

• $351 - $370k

• $371 - $390k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $391 - $410k

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $410k+

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, this poll is for those in the acquisition phase only that need\want to work to reach their goal. I realise that there a lot of people that now live off property generated income, dividends, super, etc and may only be working part time or not at all, so please don't vote because you have made it!

I'm just trying to get a feel for what the average take home pay BEFORE TAX is for the Somersoft investor who is building their empire, but still hasn't reached it(whenever that may be).

Annual household income for the purposes of this poll is purely take home pay from your day job BEFORE TAX and excluding super. No income generated $'s from investments. So by household, I mean husband and wife(or partner) or either if one isn't working. So if husband earns $80k and wife work parts time(because she has kids for example) earning $55k, that's $135k before tax. This same couple also have 3 IP's generating $50k per annum, but this amount is not to be included in poll. They would vote "$131k - $150k"

Poll is anonymous of course.

Bludger,
Great poll - kudos to you. I sometimes get the impression that so many of the posters may be "above average" with their income, allowing them to grow their portfolio quicker than I can see myself doing.

According to the ABS the average wage is about $61k as of August last year. So I find it both interesting and encouraging that so far, nearly 70% of respondents have an income of less than about 2x average wage, with peaks at average ($51k-$70k) and at about 2x average ($131k-$150k).

Although the sample size is still relatively small, and without further qualifying breakdowns, one conclusion I draw is that there are high proportion of contributors on average wage, with a partner also on average wage or below. (This is certainly the case with us; me = average, wife = 1/4 average, so I probably biasing based on own circumstances.)

Whether my analysis is correct or not, doesn't matter to me! It's encouraging for me to think that investing on an average wage can lead to wealth.

So thanks for everyone who has voted and for Bludger for putting this up. And if anyone else has a different slant on the poll results, please share.

In our case, DH earns a pretty decent (above average) income, but We are esentially a single income family (I have a casual job, which I am on maternity leave from).

I didn't vote because my income over the last few years has been subject to wild fluctuations. It used to be about average, then had 2 high income years (that ended pretty much 3 minutes after the GFC kicked in), now I'm back to below average (although I still have 4.5 months left of the financial year to do something about that).

I didn't vote because my income over the last few years has been subject to wild fluctuations. It used to be about average, then had 2 high income years (that ended pretty much 3 minutes after the GFC kicked in), now I'm back to below average (although I still have 4.5 months left of the financial year to do something about that).

hey ianvestor,

just curious if your income is based on IT at all?

thanks.

Sorry to be a killjoy - there is little chance that there is 6 respondants with salaries above 400k.

I think there are a certain few people on this forum that enjoy pushing up the averages in order to look good (or feel good).

If you earn above 400k (bewteen 2) then put your hand up! that way we know for sure!

So far in most of the threads i havent seen too many people state that they have a combined household salary of anywhere near that amount.

cheers
Aussie

I earn about $80k, my wife $85k.

I have been asked in the past what it's like to have a wife who earns more than the husband.

Answer: It's great!!:D

Sorry to be a killjoy - there is little chance that there is 6 respondants with salaries above 400k.

A very good friend of mine is a big manager at a large corporate who earns $300K. His wife earns $200k for another large corporate. They too are property investors so it does not surprise me at all that we got 6 respondents over $400k. It's hard to comprehend sometimes, but there a some really big wage earners out there...

Thanks for a great response everyone. Just goes to show that property investing isn't just for those on high salaries, almost anyone can do it with the right knowledge and a "can do" attitude. Most of all, thanks to all of the regular contributors that make this happen.

A very good friend of mine is a big manager at a large corporate who earns $300K. His wife earns $200k for another large corporate. They too are property investors so it does not surprise me at all that we got 6 respondents over $400k. It's hard to comprehend sometimes, but there a some really big wage earners out there...

Still, I tend to agree with Aussierogue that I am surprised we have 6 household incomes above $400K. My guess is that these aren't what most of us would consider incomes, i.e. salaried incomes, but that they are in fact including property related income despite your guidance not to. They might argue that their job is property, so therefore that's their day job income. I dunno. But if you were to strip out all property related income I'd guess that 6 would drop.

I voted $200K because that is my income and my wife doesn't work. We have the potential to have a $260K household income if she did, but why should she when I earn enough for us to live comfortably and invest significantly in property as well.

Was surprised at the number of people well above $200K per household though. Well done guys!

Cheers,
Michael

I thought that when I saw the results, but it doesn't actually seem that far fetched, all it takes is a few successful married professionals to make up that number, there's been 111 votes that's a lot of unknown quantity votes.

I think there are a certain few people on this forum that enjoy pushing up the averages in order to look good (or feel good).

If you earn above 400k (bewteen 2) then put your hand up! that way we know for sure!

So far in most of the threads i havent seen too many people state that they have a combined household salary of anywhere near that amount.

cheers
Aussie

Interesting comment there..??

I wonder how many people in Australia earn above 400k? No many wage earners I suppose, and people with business's might, but sometimes it's hard to really know what you earn when running a business as it can be so complicated.

I didn't vote in the poll. If things happen to go perfect for me on the farm, like striking a cracking bumper season just at the start of a global drop in grain output and food crisis, like what happened to me 2 years ago, I can make a million dollars of profit. Of course that has to be divided up between my wife and parents.

And in theory if things went really bad I could lose half a million or more if prices were bad and the season crook. How do you put that into a figure on a poll?

See ya's.

I ticked my base salary (71k to 90k) no including super but I also get a lot of additional benefits included in my package which kicks it to the next level. Interestingly enough, the gross rental income from one of my properties exceeds my base salary :rolleyes:

I ticked between 250 and 280 and my wife earns 25k. Maybe im just jealous that their are others who are earning more!

The poll is about salaried work not investments....good luck to ian investor if you are. I guess contracted IT work is one area where the figures can be skewed. Who are th eother 5?

Back