Pool refurbishment cost / process

In my search for a new PPOR I've come across a house which has an inground pool which has been filled with something (has a tarp on it so not sure what exactly). While I'm not necessarily looking for a house with a pool I know my 4yo would be an extremely happy little man if one came along with the move.

Does anyone have any idea of what is likely to be the cost of bringing it back to life? Am I likely to need council permission to do so?

I guess it could be a how long is a piece of string question but your thoughts are appreciated.

Do you know what material the pool is made of (concrete/fibreglass?) and when you say it is filled with something, what is the something?

We encountered a similar prospect at one of our recent purchases. Pool wasn't listed on RE.com and for good reason, it was just a concrete shell with a nice collection of toads and who knows what else...

To get the concrete ground smooth, a new liner made and fitted as well as piping for the new motor/filter cost around $6.5k. Ours was in a pretty bad way. The liner was the big ticket item. This pool is 10m x 4 m, so a fairly decent size.

Would have filled it in if it were an IP, but worth resurrecting for PPOR.

I haven't looked at the pool yet, initially crossed it off my list but going to look to look at the house this weekend. I'll have a look under the tarp when I inspect the house.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 73
We encountered a similar prospect at one of our recent purchases. Pool wasn't listed on RE.com and for good reason, it was just a concrete shell with a nice collection of toads and who knows what else...

To get the concrete ground smooth, a new liner made and fitted as well as piping for the new motor/filter cost around $6.5k. Ours was in a pretty bad way. The liner was the big ticket item. This pool is 10m x 4 m, so a fairly decent size.

Would have filled it in if it were an IP, but worth resurrecting for PPOR.

Great info, thanks!

Back