Pool resurfacing

The pool at of an IP needs to be resurfaced (or so the pool doctor says), the cost was estimated to be $10K ($10,000), after recoverying from my impresssion of a cat coughing up a fur ball, it just seems far too much. It's just a standard pool, has anyone had any experience with resurfacing a pool and the cost involved? I though the surface would need sandblasting then sealing and then a final coat of paint, I can imagine it is not a couple of hours work, but $10K...ouch!!

always_learning said:
The pool at of an IP needs to be resurfaced (or so the pool doctor says), the cost was estimated to be $10K ($10,000), after recoverying from my impresssion of a cat coughing up a fur ball, it just seems far too much. It's just a standard pool, has anyone had any experience with resurfacing a pool and the cost involved? I though the surface would need sandblasting then sealing and then a final coat of paint, I can imagine it is not a couple of hours work, but $10K...ouch!!

Sorry I have no idea..

But it sounds like the "roof restoration" process, scare the bejesus out of someone about broken tiles, leaks etc, then pop a $10,000 quote under their nose for about $2000 worth of work.

If its a crappy pool in an ordinary house you could just punch some drainage holes in the bottom of it and fill it in..

There has already been some "investment" into the pool over the last few years.

a) Solar heating after the electical heater broke $3K
b) Solar blanket and roller $1K
c) New filter pump $2.2K
d) Spa pump $1K
e) Broken pump for solar heater $500
f) Broken blower nosels for spa $600
g) Cleaning and title repair $500

Good thing about a pool is it differentiates the property, easy to get tenants...bad thing is that consumes money like a solicitor working by the billable hour, very marginal increase in rent, much better to have filled in the pool and put in an upstairs extention with an extra 2 bedrooms!

I, too, have one IP with a pool. NEVER AGAIN. The maintenance costs on this IP alone is more that 5 others put together. I keep thinking about selling as it is a real lemon (bought to be PPOR then we didn't end up moving into it), then I decide to hold on until the next boom and sell when I get another round of capital growth. Apparently to fill the pool in I need Council Approval and an engineers certificate. Just can't win.

Cheers

Hi Always_learning

Resurfaced with what???

Price will depend on the surface area and surface choice.

I have a concrete pool that is approx 6.5meters x 6.5meters in size and averages approx 1.5 deep.
This pool holds about 65,000 litres. So the surface area of this pool would be about 64m2. (floor + walls).
3 years ago when we had the pool constructed we had a choice of surfaces on the concrete. Pebble, fibreglass, tiles etc.
The cheapest then was pebble at about $4000.

10k sounds a lot if it is an average size pool, but this may include draining, removing old surface, applying new surface, refilling and getting chemicals back into balance.

Back