Pop-up wastes blocking

I have installed pop-up wastes in several sinks the past few years, both in my IP and in my PPOR. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the newer-style drainage holes in porcelain sinks:

images

My perception is that the drains below these wastes are significantly more prone to blockages than the older grid-style wastes. Has anybody else noticed this, and do you know why? I wondered if it's because hairs, for example, would get caught on the older grid-style ones, and be pulled out when cleaning the sink, whereas these ones allow the hairs to go down into the drain. But that's just my theory... could be complete rubbish.

I'd never had problems with blocked vanity sinks before, but I've now had two instances where a plunger and draino-type chemicals haven't been sufficient to unblock, and at my IP had to have a plumber remove and clear out the trap. (Unfortunately I wasn't there and didn't ask what it was that was blocking the trap.)

Any suggested remedies?

I have installed pop-up wastes in several sinks the past few years, both in my IP and in my PPOR. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the newer-style drainage holes in porcelain sinks:

images

My perception is that the drains below these wastes are significantly more prone to blockages than the older grid-style wastes. Has anybody else noticed this, and do you know why? I wondered if it's because hairs, for example, would get caught on the older grid-style ones, and be pulled out when cleaning the sink, whereas these ones allow the hairs to go down into the drain. But that's just my theory... could be complete rubbish.

I'd never had problems with blocked vanity sinks before, but I've now had two instances where a plunger and draino-type chemicals haven't been sufficient to unblock, and at my IP had to have a plumber remove and clear out the trap. (Unfortunately I wasn't there and didn't ask what it was that was blocking the trap.)

Any suggested remedies?
No above ground plumbing system is perfect that a blocked waste pipe
will never occur,strange that the sink waste plunger did not fix this problem,maybe look at it this way and depending on how the trap and pipework is set up,but water cannot be compressed all the plunger does is too convert the water in the pipe into a ram that will unblock the pipe,sometimes it looks like you are getting nowhere but continue with the plunging because you will be moving the obstruction further and further along the branch waste pipe until it will be forced into the main waste pipe,or it maybe something that has become solid and it may be wedged in the trap itself,most u traps have a acess cap near the base
that can be unscrewed,have a bucket handy unscrew the trap cap and have a look but you may be right the hair factor maybe is the problem
We just don't have those in any of the properties all the old style and the never give many problems,hope this help Prep..good luck willair.

We have one of these in our bathroom, and you are right that "gunk" clogs up the bit just under the pop-up plug bit. We just unscrew it and grab the gunk, ughhhh!!!

We've got one in one bathroom. It doesn't seem to be any different to the old type. Mine's plastic and you can take the middle part out to give a good clean.

Actually mine is more flush with the bottom of the sink, looks like yours sits higher.

12mths after the new vanity was installed it started draining really really slowly, i unscrewed it and it was full of long blonde hairs and other gunk ew ew ew

So now about every 3mths i pour some "Drain Clean" down there and haven't had any blockages since

Thank you all for your replies. The blockages in mine are definitely not in the fitting, but further down, in the trap. I do think it's because it allows more "gunk" through than the older style wastes. But thanks for the tip on the access cap, willair, I'll check that out.

Back