Population growth exacerbates housing crisis - Bernard Salt

Great article as always from Bernard Salt. I share these views on the factors causing the current shortage of housing in Australia, and as a result, the rising house prices and low vacancy rates.

What the D&Gers don't seem to get, is that Supply and Demand is the ultimate fundamental. Houses are no different to any other commodity... a shortage of supply relative to demand will result in an increase in price.

The statement below is very important. I believe our crash is on hold, until those baby boomers start to die off...

"What we really need to slow down the national growth rate is for those pesky baby boomers to start presenting to the death age group (say 75+). However, we won't pass this point until the beginning of the 2020s."

Shadow.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,24138613-14741,00.html

Population growth exacerbates housing crisis
Bernard Salt | August 07, 2008

WHY all the fuss about the cost of housing and high rents? New house construction is down and rents are up in all capital cities. But surely this crisis cannot simply be a function of high interest rates. After all, today's rates are still 10 percentage points below peak rates in the late 1980s. If anyone had reason to complain about housing affordability it was 25-34 year olds in the late 80s and early 90s. So what's going on?

There are several factors that have affected the supply of residential dwellings, including heightened demand. The number of people added to Australia during calendar 2007 was 332,000 or 1.6 per cent. This is the greatest number added to the national population in any year in our nation's history. And it's evident in our city's growth rates.

Melbourne is adding more people (62,000 per year) than any other Australian city. But also running at high rates are both Brisbane and Perth. Even Adelaide and Tasmania are growing at annual rates of 1 per cent instead of 0.5 per cent (or worse) as was the case in the 1990s.

But what is driving this extreme growth?

The most obvious cause is a record level of net overseas migration. Last year we added a net 185,000 migrants, up from a long-term average of 110,000.

At the peak of the last recession in 1992 Australia attracted just 52,000 migrants. Net migration ramps up with rising prosperity: the more jobs on offer, the higher the rate of overseas migration. And judging by a mix of low unemployment and runaway labour costs in some regions, there is probably scope for even greater levels of migration.

But the forces behind the population boom don't end there. The birth rate has been trending up for six years.

Indeed this rate has taken on the likeness of a hockey stick: a long decline from the early 1980s followed by a modest up-turn from 2002. In 2007 there were 285,000 births in Australia, up from 248,000 five years earlier. The national population increase is now being boosted by a tidy birth-rate kicker equivalent to 37,000 extra babies.

But wait, there's more. Not only are migration and births up but, wouldn't you know it, the death rate has plateaued at 135,000 in 2007, up barely 1000 from the previous year.

What we really need to slow down the national growth rate is for those pesky baby boomers to start presenting to the death age group (say 75+). However, we won't pass this point until the beginning of the 2020s. No use holding our collective breath waiting for the boomers to stop breathing; they aren't budging. For the moment.

All of these factors push up the demand for dwellings. And it's not as if we aren't producing record numbers of households. Some 121,000 households where formed in 2007, up from 64,000 exactly 15 years earlier during the recession. The problem is that this accelerated demand is not finding its way into a sufficient pool of completed dwellings to keep a lid on costs and to provide a healthy alternative to renting. The question is why?

There may be record numbers of new people and households but the odd fact remains that the average household size has flat-lined since 2001. More than 40 years of social change leading to a diminution of the average household size came to a grinding halt this decade. Persons per dwelling dropped from 2.97 in 1991 to 2.76 a decade later and to 2.74 in 2006. It's almost as if the Australian population is bunching up in existing dwellings rather than forming new households.

The bunch-up factor may be due to increased fertility (more kids per house) but it must be more than this. I suspect that Generation Y is increasingly remaining in the family home postponing commitment to forming their own household.

This might be because they've got a good thing going at Mum&Dad's or, and this is perhaps more accurate, they are dissuaded by the high cost of housing in capital cities.

Neither of these trends were evident in the late 80s: the birth rate continued to drop and Generation X much preferred cruddy student digs to living with the olds. Now the difference may well be that Generation Y are a bunch of middle class softies or Generation X didn't know how to play the game to their economic advantage.

Lots of people bunching up in burgeoning households preferring not to buy but to rent places pressure on the rental market. The demand for housing remains high, but is out of reach of many Australians who are reluctant to make long-term commitments in uncertain times. Also the cost of housing is a factor: perhaps the result of high interest rates and a constricted supply pipeline.

Planning policy from the beginning of this decade introduced urban growth boundaries designed to limit sprawl. But in so doing this policy acted a bit like a lid on a steaming kettle: rising population growth builds a head of steam and the whole housing issue then threatens to blow into a political issue. And why shouldn't access to affordable housing be a political issue?

Here we are in one of the richest nations on the planet, having passed through one of the longest booms in this nation's history, and we're saying that we cannot deliver housing at an affordable rate to Middle Australia, let alone to Battler Australia. How is it that previous generations could manage this process but we can't? Not only should housing be affordable to the vast majority but it should also be available to below-average income earners.

In the short term the resources boom will continue to attract labour and the birth rate will remain ascendant, placing pressure on the demand for accommodation, which will in turn push up rents.

The solution is to either moderate demand or to fix supply. But here's the problem. To significantly lift the supply of affordable dwellings requires investment in urban infrastructure such as public transport. The reason is that affordable and developable tracts of land on the edge of capital cities that could make a difference to supply and affordability are located beyond the city limits.

Perhaps the reason why previous generations could deliver affordable housing was because at that time there was not the public consciousness and concern about car usage and the provision of associated urban services. And if this is the case, then perhaps the early decades (not just years) of the 21st century will be seen as a transition periods where Australian cities and funding priorities are fundamentally realigned.

Bernard Salt is a Partner with KPMG; [email protected]

But govt policy is to increase demand (via baby bonus & immigration), so the demand problem will be around for a long while yet.

The Senate Select Committee on Housing Affordability released its report A good house is hard to find: Housing affordability in Australia in June.

One of the main recommendations was to decentralise and create or invest in regional towns. From Chapter 11
The committee recommends that the forward plans of the Australian, state and territory governments incorporate policies for mid-size regional cities to ensure they are better able to form sustainable communities, to cope with the transport impacts of peak oil and climate change, and to invest in infrastructure.

Australia has no mid-sized cities (of between 500,000 & 1m people), whereas most developed countries have quite a number and they have 20 per cent, 30 per cent or 40 per cent of their total population living in cities of that size. That would go some way towards fixing the supply problem.

Australia has no mid-sized cities (of between 500,000 & 1m people), whereas most developed countries have quite a number and they have 20 per cent, 30 per cent or 40 per cent of their total population living in cities of that size. That would go some way towards fixing the supply problem.

Good point KeithJ, your stats got me searching the web to find out what size towns we actually have in Aus as off the top of my head I thought places like Geelong or Newcastle would have been in that range.

The ole wikipedia had some intresting easy to ready table which confirmed your point, and proved how way off I was in guessing populations :eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Australia_by_population

yes, i've found it puzzling that for such a huge country there is a perceived land shortage - population is growing fast but it seems the economically active ones (not retirees) only want to live in the main cities (of which there are few) - this means that they either live in new unit developments or subdivisions if they can afford it & want to be close to the city centre - or right out on the edge of town if they want a 3/4 bedder with garden -

surely the market says that there should be a load of people who move to smaller cities where they can get more value for money from their property & live closer to the city centre - regional towns like bendigo, dubbo, ballerat, mount gambier, albury, armadale, - & i don't think this shift is happening - why? - lack of work? lack of decent income jobs? poor transport infrastructure? nothing to do at night? perception of being regional = backward? news coverage is certainly capital city centric - so it's probably a mix of all these - i know places like bunbury & geraldton have grown in recent times (fueled by migrants who don't qualify to live in perth/metro areas for the first 2 yrs of their residency) - but this should be replicated across the country - regional towns should be thriving - any ideas?

yes, i've found it puzzling that for such a huge country there is a perceived land shortage - population is growing fast but it seems the economically active ones (not retirees) only want to live in the main cities (of which there are few) - this means that they either live in new unit developments or subdivisions if they can afford it & want to be close to the city centre - or right out on the edge of town if they want a 3/4 bedder with garden -

surely the market says that there should be a load of people who move to smaller cities where they can get more value for money from their property & live closer to the city centre - regional towns like bendigo, dubbo, ballerat, mount gambier, albury, armadale, - & i don't think this shift is happening - why? - lack of work? lack of decent income jobs? poor transport infrastructure? nothing to do at night? perception of being regional = backward? news coverage is certainly capital city centric - so it's probably a mix of all these - i know places like bunbury & geraldton have grown in recent times (fueled by migrants who don't qualify to live in perth/metro areas for the first 2 yrs of their residency) - but this should be replicated across the country - regional towns should be thriving - any ideas?

The emotional attachment to family, friends and social networks, especially if you have kids.... probably outweighs the financial benefit of moving to a smaller regional area i would guess.

Good point KeithJ, your stats got me searching the web to find out what size towns we actually have in Aus as off the top of my head I thought places like Geelong or Newcastle would have been in that range.

The ole wikipedia had some intresting easy to ready table which confirmed your point, and proved how way off I was in guessing populations :eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Australia_by_population
As a comparison with other developed countries (see below from ch 11 of senate report) -
US has 17% of population in 2 biggest cities, Oz has 54%.
attachment.php

They tried it with Canbrrrr & elsewhere....
In the longer term, decentralisation policies offer scope to allow more people access to housing that is affordable both in regard to its purchase price and in regard to the cost of commuting from it to work.
11.9 As one senator asked at a hearing:

Does it seem peculiar that we always seem to be trying to take the mountain to Mohammed? …rather than trying to find affordable houses in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, how about we try and stimulate employment where there is cheaper land and a greater prospect of people getting into the housing market at the ground level?

11.10 He gave a good example of this being successfully achieved. While it had more to do with Sydney-Melbourne rivalries than a concern about housing
affordability, the founding fathers chose to put the national capital away from an existing city. The result was that there are now '350 000 people living on a creek in southern New South Wales'5 who would otherwise be adding to the pressure on housing prices in Sydney or Melbourne.
11.12 The best-known example of a push for decentralisation was the mid-1970s 'growth centres' initiative in Albury-Wodonga and Bathurst-Orange. These projects had some success, and may well have had more if government support for them had been sustained.

And it doesn't have to be big to be successful.......
the European experience demonstrates that cities do not have to have populations in the millions to offer good jobs and attractive lifestyles. For example, arguably the richest town in Switzerland is Zug, the headquarters of, among others, multinational mining company Xstrata, and it has a population of only 25 000. The world's largest food company Nestlé is headquartered in the smaller town of Vevey. Basel, with a population of under 200 000, is home to the headquarters of the global pharmaceutical companies Roche and Novartis. Geneva, with a similar population, hosts many international organisations. As well as offering good jobs, these cities are culturally rich with excellent rail connections.

Attachments

• DemographicsAus.jpg
    DemographicsAus.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,452
I'd be happy to move to Geelong if they end up getting the Bullet train to Melbourne via Tullermarine. Getting to Melb in 20 mins would be fantastic! But Bendigo is a shiz hole wouldn't want to live there. The Melbourne 2030 Transit Cities plan looks good!

Oh my god, some simple logical analysis!!!

I feel like shouting:

The 3 rules of:

Property : Location , Location and Location.

Property Investment: Supply and Demand, Supply and Demand and Supply and Demand.

Peter 14.7

PS live the graph on demographics. It clearly shows why you cannot simply compare Country to Country and say because it crashed or boomed here, it will do the same there.

I'd be happy to move to Geelong if they end up getting the Bullet train to Melbourne via Tullermarine. Getting to Melb in 20 mins would be fantastic!

This is the problem. Lots of people say: 'I would move out of the city, provided I can back there very quickly.' Regional centres need to develop to a point where people more or less forget about the city.
Schools are a big problem. I know a family that has moved to Cootamundra (from Sydney) so their kids can have a farm experience in their early years, but they are intending to move back to Sydney before the kids hit high school.

I can't believe how city based this forum is. There is a massive population shift going to regional areas, and no one here even see's it. Rural residential property prices have flogged the city in growth in recent times, and the reason for the rental shortage in the cities is because the housing construction moved to the bush. I see it in all the little towns I go through. There has been an explosion of houses and people moving to where it is cheaper and simpler to live.

http://hia.com.au/Latest News/Artic...07&AID={26AEEC8C-F5C3-4217-A618-AA5FB0E7874F}

........."HIA’s Executive Director of Housing and Economics, Mr Simon Tennent, noted that, according to the ABS, population growth in regional areas was equal or faster than capital city growth in the three largest States over 2005/06.

“Record low housing affordability in many State capitals has forced an increasing number of first home buyers to relocate into non-metropolitan areas, which in many cases has caused these people to give up their current jobs in the hope of finding a home to start a family,” Mr Tennent said.

“In addition, the balance of residential building work is also moving out of capital cities and into non-metropolitan areas, with many building and population ‘hotspots’ being located in regional centres where housing is considerably more affordable.”..............

http://www.femail.com.au/properties-and-the-regional-boom.htm

"..........The real estate boom in regional cities, towns and coastal areas can largely be attributed to population growth in these areas. But why are people heading out of the cities?............

There must be a heap of people moving out of the cities if rural population growth is so high, as not many immigrants come to the bush.

There is no shortage of work in rural areas. Non at all. If unemployed numbers are higher it's because your better off being on the dole in the bush than the city as it's cheaper to live and more to do that's costs nothing. Most on the dole in my area have moved here from the city.

Rural areas have also benefited from the soft and hard commodity booms much more than the cities, and I expect this to continue as well. I have a lot of mates who have gone from $600 a week wages to $2000 as they took up mining and contracting work related to mining.

I would bet the single best real estate investment in the last 5 years in Australia would be hobby farms and acreage on the edge of thriving regional towns.

See ya's.

But govt policy is to increase demand (via baby bonus & immigration), so the demand problem will be around for a long while yet.

I can't believe that many of the population see a baby bonus as an incentive to have another one.

Considering the cost of raising a child is around $250k+, the bb is a drop in the ocean.

It's scary how dumb the population is if they fall for this one.

Hey, but it'll pay for a plasma!

This is the problem. Lots of people say: 'I would move out of the city, provided I can back there very quickly.' Regional centres need to develop to a point where people more or less forget about the city.
Schools are a big problem. I know a family that has moved to Cootamundra (from Sydney) so their kids can have a farm experience in their early years, but they are intending to move back to Sydney before the kids hit high school.

And that is the problem. Everyone wants affordable housing were they want to live. But if everyone wants to live in the same place it stops being affordable.

If everyone wanted to live in say Dubbo it would rise to the price of Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs.

Again, demand drives price.

It is very affordable to live in Campelltown Sydney. Go another 30 minutes out it should be more affordable yes? Well No…. if you are talking Southern Highlands like Mossvale, Mittagong, etc… Even more dramatic is in the same area of Narrellan = affordable which is next door Camden = expensive. Why?

Camden has the cafes, antique stores, old money, private schools, etc… That serves those with the money so they live there and spend what they can.

In Australia we are not serious about affordable housing, we just the housing we want cheaper for us. They it can go up to keep others from moving in.

I bet if any State Gov said we are going to apply the European solution:

1. Buy vacant land
2. Build town from ground up
3. Put in parks
4. Put in essential shops, doctors services etc.
5. Put in fast rail Link to city in 30 minutes
6. Everyone can buy a brand new 4 bed home for $100k less than existing
7. By the way that home is walk up apartment and only apartments are to be built to minimise cost, demand on the environment and maximize density.

It would fail!

Peter 14.7

I would bet the single best real estate investment in the last 5 years in Australia would be hobby farms and acreage on the edge of thriving regional towns.

See ya's.

Again TC speaks simple country truth.;)

I live in regional Town VIC and yes we would have hobby farm if Wife had not vetoed it. :( But 1/2 of her playgroup mum recently moved here have them. All semi-professional woman and above. Expect a boom in Pony Club membership in 5 years.

And LA Aussie. Other than the very low social demographics, the baby boom has been driven by economic success and the fact all the new mums are now in the mid thirties and keen to have kiddies.

Recent article in paper quoted stats as such and my experience is the same. In our playgroup for 2 to 3 year old bubs we have 12 mums: 2 mums are 40+, 9 are mid 30's and only 1 is under 30 around 29ish.

Regards

Peter 14.7

Sure we do, Gold Coast has about 530,000.

Didn't you get to page 187 of the report ? :) .... where it says....

In Australia the only 'city' of around that size is the Gold Coast, and in some ways it functions more as an outlying suburb of the greater Brisbane conurbation.

Anyway, the point is that most of the Oz population live the 2 largest cities.... and that is presumably where they choose to live.

Like TC, Peter & others, I just don't get what the attraction is.... I'm on a v. quiet 20 acre block, 5 mins from pleasant village & 1.5hrs from Syd CBD by car.... that's quite close enough for me.

If Supply and Demand is the ultimate fundamental, why is property falling? Don't say its not because you know damn well it is.....

Great article as always from Bernard Salt. I share these views on the factors causing the current shortage of housing in Australia, and as a result, the rising house prices and low vacancy rates.

What the D&Gers don't seem to get, is that Supply and Demand is the ultimate fundamental. Houses are no different to any other commodity... a shortage of supply relative to demand will result in an increase in price.

The statement below is very important. I believe our crash is on hold, until those baby boomers start to die off...

"What we really need to slow down the national growth rate is for those pesky baby boomers to start presenting to the death age group (say 75+). However, we won't pass this point until the beginning of the 2020s."

Shadow.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,24138613-14741,00.html

- i know places like bunbury & geraldton have grown in recent times (fueled by migrants who don't qualify to live in perth/metro areas for the first 2 yrs of their residency) - but this should be replicated across the country - regional towns should be thriving - any ideas?

Totally agree that regional towns should be thriving.
The city centric view of the world is so....centric.
Bunbury and Gerro. have grown rapidly due to Govt. focus and spending in infrastructure with their previous vision of 'decentralisation'.
The whole program seems to have stalled.
And yes it should be replicated across the country.
More vision and long term planning is what is required.
Not compatible with the short term governments we currently have in place.

Back