Population growth figures

I'm completely against this. Anyway, if it happens it does.
As if any of us have a say in it lol
Hard to see how property investing anywhere will not be good in the decades ahead.
I doubt it would stop the boom & busts or recessions.
The "we are going to run out of everything" line of thinking will ensure the booms, as those who have an interest in release reports and articles to promote that line, and eventually it will bust when nobody is left to buy or onsell at a higher price because they ran out of credit.
People will just keep concentrating around CBD's in smaller dwellings, and/or more people per dwelling. The only direction to build is up or down.

As if any of us have a say in it lol

We do have a say. We all vote. The opinions I'm hearing from people everywhere are that they are dumbfounded that we could be doing something so stupid as pile another 14 million people into this place.

Governments have only one objective. And it's not to do a great job running the place. It's to keep their own jobs and get elected at the next election.

If there is a popular groundswell of support to cut our ridiculously high immigration rate, then either the sitting government, or the opposition will use that to get re-elected or elected. I think there will be a groundswell of opposition to this. We are all very lucky to be here and to have the lifestyles we do. We are under no obligation to fill this place up and ruin what we have.

See ya's.

Should we send the convicts and their families back?
They are descendants of criminals after all, and
they might ruin all that the immagrants worked hard to build,
or even try to steal it... :rolleyes:

just a thought, if our population will grow so fast, what the hell are others going to do, asia, india, us, uk, they seem to be a peek capasity now, and if they imigrate to australia, ?????
i think it will be a larger number than 40 million, in this time span, :rolleyes:

we are a country of 20million people on an extremely large landmass, its silly to think that 40million people would be too much for Australia, we could support 100 million people with some changes to our country.

But there would need to be some absolutely massive infrastructure projects...like sending all the water from far north qld down south, building more huge dams to capture all the flood water.

The main problem with Australia is that we get nowhere near as much water as we would like to the area's we need, and we don't put much effort into keeping that water or using it wisely.

Reactions: BV
we are a country of 20million people on an extremely large landmass, its silly to think that 40million people would be too much for Australia, we could support 100 million people with some changes to our country.

But there would need to be some absolutely massive infrastructure projects...like sending all the water from far north qld down south, building more huge dams to capture all the flood water.

The main problem with Australia is that we get nowhere near as much water as we would like to the area's we need, and we don't put much effort into keeping that water or using it wisely.

i so agree with the water sharing, its should be done, No , it must be done,

You perhaps will be shocked to learn that 25% of your water consumption is for flushing the toilet. Another 25% is for watering the garden. What we do now- is collect reinwater into the gutters, drain it to the street polluting it with dog poo, bird poo, cigarette butts, motor oil , godknowswhatelse and dump it into waterstreams. Then we build dams, collect this water, clean it at pump it back to the source - your house - often tens of kilometers.
If we end this environmental vandalism and start flushing toilets with your roof water we can sustain another 15 million. If we flush toilets with the water collected from showers and water garden by greywater from washing machine - we will have enough water to triple population. With our

Agriculture producing three times food we consume 20 million people we have now is a total disgrace. Now we serve as resource appendix to the third world, while we would have the ability to stop stealing from future generations by selling raw resouces should we have population sufficient to support decent industrial output.

Important thing that we get people with education and skills, while current immigration program largely misses this target.

Agriculture producing three times food we consume 20 million people we have now is a total disgrace. Now we serve as resource appendix to the third world, while we would have the ability to stop stealing from future generations by selling raw resouces should we have population sufficient to support decent industrial output.

Important thing that we get people with education and skills, while current immigration program largely misses this target.

ToDo

You've made some very good points.
Our past and current governments boast of all the deals they sign up with China but the fact remains that we are selling too much of our dirt, we're selling it cheap and haven't invested in infrastructure or in our industrial development..

Also, the way things are going 1 day the chinese will be controlling our major companies and our economy so we could eventually end up being be a province of China.

And the chinese are smart, they also have a lot of resources but aren't using them, they're buying ours and saving theirs for their future generations .......

Our past and current governments boast of all the deals they sign up with China but the fact remains that we are selling too much of our dirt, we're selling it cheap .......

How are we selling too much dirt? [as in coal, iron ore, metals, etc].
We are still running a current account deficit. We are still importing more goods than we export on average. It's our dirt and energy we export that make up the majority of our exports.

We have no other choice. We have to export something to maintain our standard of living, and it's our dirt and energy that the world needs and that we are globally competitive at. We can't manufacture stuff, as we get blown away by other countries like China. We have to concentrate on what we are good at.

How are we selling our dirt too cheap? It's a global commodity market. We either take the market price for our commodities or we don't. If we don't, we don't sell it, and we then have no exports to pay for our imports.

I don't like the fact that my wheat this year is only worth 20c per kilo on the world market. Dairy farmers aren't happy that milk is only worth 26c per litre. But there's nothing we can do about it.

Strange thing to say I reckon.

See ya's.

And the chinese are smart, they also have a lot of resources but aren't using them, they're buying ours and saving theirs for their future generations .......

You may be right, and they are definately smart. If that's the case, then we should be thankfull. The fact that our commodities have held up in price duing the GFC is why Australia has done well.

I believe though that if China had an excess of commodities they'd be using their own. They certainly are only just managing to feed themselves. They need to import coal and oil. Perhaps a lot of their mineral and coal reserves are under farm land.?

Dunno.

See ya's.

Agriculture producing three times food we consume 20 million people we have now is a total disgrace. .

What's a disgrace about that?

Are you saying we should have a population of 60 million to consume all our food? Or are you saying we should cut agricultural output so we just feed our 22 million and not export any? Agriculture accounts for about 15% of our exports, so what replaces that if we have none?

Some countries have to import some food to feed their populations. Eg, Great Britain, Japan, China, India, most of Africa, Middle East and asia. Some countries have an excess and can export it, eg Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Brazil etc.

If all the food exporting countries increased their populations so there was no excess, where do the food importing nations get theirs..?? Sounds like a good excuse for a war..??

See ya's.

Last edited:
To put this in another perspective, the govt is suggesting our population will grow just over 1% per year....

1.1% compounded over 40 years based on current 22 mill is just under 35mill

As a comparison, China growth is about 0.7%, India 1.6% and US 0.8%, highest growth will be India, China, Pakistan, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Indonesia, United States of America, Bangladesh, Zaire, and Iran - in that order.

Most growth concentrated in Asia.

Oz growth rate is certainly high in comparison as a percentage.....

TIm

Most growth concentrated in Asia.
Oz growth rate is certainly high in comparison as a percentage.....
TIm

Population growth is not an issue for me but the majority of new arrivals IMO need to be skilled and all governments need to spend more money on infrastructure.

We need a better transport system, more roads and a better hospital system and we need all these things now before they bring any more people in......

And who built most of the current infrastructure?
Immigrants!
They do all the unskilled jobs that the locals can't lower themselves to do.
While the yobbos bludge off the tax payers, the newly arrived are here, by large majority, to make something of themselves.
And they are happy to live in the dilapidated slums that some people on this forum provide as "accommodation". They will work and save for 10, 15 or 20 years to then pay market rate for those ratholes, giving your illusion that property never goes down.

I remember reading an article from an SMH microfiche in the library written in the 50s stating that the "Italians and Greeks who come out to this country threaten the Australian way of life with their different culture blah blah blah"
What way of life? Working the least possible and then getting drunk at the pub?
Eating food they would've give to the pigs?
They too were going to "ruin it all", and look how ruined it's turned out.
And those that did'nt work in infrastructure taught the locals how to farm and use the land to grow fruit & vegies.

Sure you can't have an open door, but I'd swap screened immigrants for yobbos and full time surfers anytime.

You perhaps will be shocked to learn that 25% of your water consumption is for flushing the toilet. Another 25% is for watering the garden. What we do now- is collect reinwater into the gutters, drain it to the street polluting it with dog poo, bird poo, cigarette butts, motor oil , godknowswhatelse and dump it into waterstreams. Then we build dams, collect this water, clean it at pump it back to the source - your house - often tens of kilometers.
If we end this environmental vandalism and start flushing toilets with your roof water we can sustain another 15 million. If we flush toilets with the water collected from showers and water garden by greywater from washing machine - we will have enough water to triple population. With our

No i think that more like 80% of our water washes back to the ocean,

And who built most of the current infrastructure?
Immigrants!
They do all the unskilled jobs that the locals can't lower themselves to do.
While the yobbos bludge off the tax payers, the newly arrived are here, by large majority, to make something of themselves.
And they are happy to live in the dilapidated slums that some people on this forum provide as "accommodation". They will work and save for 10, 15 or 20 years to then pay market rate for those ratholes, giving your illusion that property never goes down.

I remember reading an article from an SMH microfiche in the library written in the 50s stating that the "Italians and Greeks who come out to this country threaten the Australian way of life with their different culture blah blah blah"
What way of life? Working the least possible and then getting drunk at the pub?

I agree completely Piston Broke, but we aren't different from other countries, every (or almost) country loves to blame immigrants for their problems or imagined problems, and whichever group of immigrants of that time is the largest and most "different" is usually the group targeted.

But I would love for the government to actually try and tackle the welfare system in an intelligent way instead of just increasing payments and trying to harass people until they get themselves declared medically unfit to work.

But I would love for the government to actually try and tackle the welfare system in an intelligent way instead of just increasing payments and trying to harass people until they get themselves declared medically unfit to work.

Well spoken....

Tim

And they are happy to live in the dilapidated slums that some people on this forum provide as "accommodation". They will work and save for 10, 15 or 20 years to then pay market rate for those ratholes, giving your illusion that property never goes down..

What the heck, where is the dilapidated slum owners thread?

Sure you can't have an open door, but I'd swap screened immigrants for yobbos and full time surfers anytime.

Agreed, not sure multi-culturalism is working though? Intergration seemed to work better, but only time will tell.

I'm not sure how current this is but it's topical

If you could fit the entire population of the world into a village consisting of 100 people maintaining the proportions of all the people living on Earth, that village would consist of:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 Americans (North, Central and South)
8 Africans

There would be:
52 women and 48 men
30 Caucasians and 70 non-Caucasians
30 Christians and 70 non-Christians
89 heterosexuals and 11 homosexuals

6 people would possess 59% of the wealth and they would all come from the USA.

If you currently have money in the bank, in your wallet and a few coins in your purse, you are one of 8 of the privileged few amongst the 100 people in the world.

80 would live in poverty
70 would be illiterate
50 would suffer from hunger and malnutrition
1 would be dying
1 would be being born
1 would own a computer
1 (yes, only one) would have a university degree

If your parents are still alive and still married, you’re a rare individual.

If we looked at the world in this way, the need for acceptance and understanding would be obvious.

But, consider again the following :

If you woke up this morning in good health, you have more luck than one million people, who won’t live through the week.

If you have never experienced the horror of war, the solitude of prison, the pain of torture, were not close to death from starvation, then you are better off than 500 million people.

If you can go to your place of worship without fear that Someone will assault or kill you, then you are luckier than 3 billion (that’s right) people.

If you have a full fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are wealthier than 75% of the world’s population.

Wasp , i like the perception, well done! it should allow some to stop winging awile and think how furtunate they really are,

Laugh about your 100 people

What the heck, where is the dilapidated slum owners thread?

Agreed, not sure multi-culturalism is working though? Intergration seemed to work better, but only time will tell.

I'm not sure how current this is but it's topical

Yes and there would be:

1. 14 Rifles

2. 2 Machetes

3.1 spear

4. And a fragment of an Atlantic treaty in the pocket of one of the Europeans

CHISEL;)

Back