Porch Tiles

At the last inspection my tenant complained that the porch tiles were cracked and coming off, so I got my PM to arrange to have them replaced ( cost about $600) The next inspection report has just come through and the tenants are complaining that the new tiles are slippery and dangerous. They have not said what they want done about it but I am a bit annoyed as I replaced the tiles promptly as I didn't want them slipping or getting hurt.

Haven't had a chance to speak to the PM yet but not sure what to do next. Sure as hell am not going to replace the tiles again.

Did you have any say in the tiles that were chosen?

If not I would suggest that the issue may between the PM and who she contracted to tile the patio?

Surely they would not have been silly enough to lay slippery tiles, though it sounds like this is just what they have done.

I'd be telling the PM to sort this out with the contractor. There may be a coating or something that can be applied to prevent the slipperiness.

Of course if the tiles were chosen by yourself, I would have thought you would be either up for the coating or the replacement.

There appear to be products such as this
http://www.magicseal-antislip.com.au/flyer.html
that claim to do the job.

All the best,

No - I had no say in the tiles. The PM got their guy out to have a look, quote and then do the job. I approved the quote but from memory there was no description of the tiles. Quote read - retile front porch, $600 or similar. I'll talk to the PM tomorrow and see what they can propose.

Queried the tiles with the property manager and apparently the tenants that are complaining are not my tenants, but their kids who are now living there, the original tenants having moved out so....
1. Will not be even worrying about the tiles
2. Will be looking for new tenants

If the tiles are in an ourdoor area, they MUST be non-slip ones to prevent accidents. If indoor tiles have been used then I would suggest taking the matter up with your PM as you will be responsible if a tenant slips and injures themselves, and for your own protection will have to be replaced.

And it does not matter who is slipping - you are still responsible.

We had to re-tile an oudoor, covered patio in an IP, and found that the non-slip tiles were noticeably more expensive than the indoor tiles the salesman first showed us.

Queried the tiles with the property manager and apparently the tenants that are complaining are not my tenants, but their kids who are now living there, the original tenants having moved out

Then these people ARE your tenants if they are residing in your property. I suggest you get your PM to clarify the matter, and prepare a new lease if the residents have changed.

Marg

Get the tiles replaced to non-slip ASAP. Don't rely on coatings either, they wear off.

A work colleage of mine allowed an owner to tile the front verandah and steps of a building he built 15 years ago in Queensland. He has recently been pursued for $85,000 as a lady entering the building slipped and broke her hip. After investigation it was found the Owner didn't use non-slip tiles and because the work was completed by the Owner while the house was being built the court deemed the builder as responsible.

Now that you know of the problem with the tiles, it's in your best interest to get them changed. The tiling doesn't comply to Australian Standards so the original tiler should be made to rectify at his/her cost.

Back