Possible Future Scenarios-

Hi all,

I thought I would start this thread in response to Sim closing the thread on the average Joe becoming a millionaire in 10 years. Yes he was right, with 270 posts the thread had gone all over the place, so hopefully we can start here where we left off.

I often get accused of being too negative, especially when I ask some hard questions. I rarely get the answers to the hard questions. So before we go any further, I will reiterate some posts that I have made in the past about what I see as positive investment.

For property.... This is what I posted several months ago..

"I am a fan of Jan's method of time in the market as proposed in the book "More Wealth from Residential Property".

But there is more to it than just buying and holding, it's in the book!!

With apologies to Jan, the quick summary goes as follows.
1/ Save deposit, buy PPOR.
2/ Accelerate payments to pay off loan in short period of time.
3/ Buy IP (when you can afford it!!)while continuing to pay same % of wage off loans.
HINT HINT HINT "If you have paid off your PPOR, guess which loan now gets paid off!!!"
4/ Buy further IP (when you can afford it!!!). Keep putting in % of your wage to reduce debt.

If prices go nowhere for 5 years, your equity has still increased by reducing your loans. Eventually even with stagnant prices, due to inflation, rents will rise and so will your wage. The property/ies will become/go even further cashflow positive. You will then be able to purchase further property as you can afford it.

The only timing involved is when you can afford it!!"

For shares.....
1/ Get yourself educated as to what works, this will involve lots of reading and studying.
2/ Look for value.
3/ Buy what is going up in price, not down.
4/ Have an "uncle point" where you will get out of a losing situation.

That is my style of investing in a nutshell that I have learned from both experience and research. The experience comes from first investing in shares and commodities in 1981, and investment property in the 80's. As I was a slow learner I made plenty of mistakes that cost a lot of money over the years.

I have actually learnt from my mistakes. The best lessons I have learnt are probably best summed up as...

1/ Have a "margin of safety".
2/ Cut your losses.

Both are in just about every investment book you read, but most people tend to ignore one or both because of a "special situation".

Anyway, too much about me, I'm already off topic :eek: I hope Sim doesn't close the thread down so soon. :p

The topic.
We get various "experts" from time to time on this forum who make all types of claims about how you can get rich. They they trot out numbers from the immediate past and then project them for the next x years.

We also get the opposite, people who claim there is all doom and gloom, property is overpriced, it's going to fall 50% in the next x years as there is no value in it, get out while you can.

To the gloom and doomers, I seem like an all out bull. To the the get rich quick and easy merchants, I am just a negative doom and gloomer. I don't have any trouble being the inquisitive one.

So, down to some specific questions.

1/ Does anyone see any problems created by having a large(and growing)proportion of the population moving into "retirement"? Something that we have not experienced in the past. With respect as to how this will affect investment markets.

2/ Can cap growth in the average residential property continue to grow at 8% pa while inflation stays low? Will yields continue to fall to say 2% in 10 years and then 1% in 20 years??

3/ If yields rise in the next 10 years will this be due to higher inflation, lower cap growth or a combination of both?? Perhaps by some other mechanism??

Questions 2+3 were what I was asking of Peter Spann in the other thread, in response to some numbers that he produced, perhaps he could post his answer here.

Astro boy, Am I leading people to ruin?? please explain??

Brenda,
You have done brilliantly well, you saw value and took great advantage of the situation. The type of property you bought, at the prices you paid, will leave you well off no matter what happens. If we get inflation your rental returns will go up rapidly, and your ability to cope with the corresponding increases in interest rates will be easy.
If we continue to get the high cap growth with low inflation as some suggest, then the property that you may have bought for $60k, that is now worth $150k, could go to $300k in 10 years. And yes if from this level with a very low yield(because of the low inflation), the price could "collapse" say back to $150k.

Acey, "You're long on opinion but short on facts.

I suggest you - and everyone reading the thread - review my post on what happened during the Japanese bubble (http://www.somersoft.com/forums/sho...highlight=Japan)

We don't have anywhere near the same situation in Australia, nor are we at the start of a run-up like that."

Do you not see that if we continue to have high cap growth while yields fall, that we are heading in that direction?? Because this country has huge foreign debts compared to the Japanese surplus, I agree we wont get anywhere near that level. It probably also means that the pullback/crash that we suffer would not be as great.

TGP, I'm no guru. I'm not trying to sell anything. My advice to everyone is always to get yourself educated, read lots, and don't expect any path to riches to be as easy as is too often portrayed. And always ask the hard questions.
And thanks for the encouragement.

I'm always happy to answer questions, so fire away. But I would prefer some answers to questions.

bye

Bill.L,
I don't believe you are leading anyone to ruin, and I did go back to that post last night to try and edit the "failure" line, I don't really agree with that and sometimes I type and send without engaging my brain, surely you would have seen evidence of this in the past. ;) :D
You style works for you and that is what is important, I tend to look at things a little differently and don't like to dwell too much on what may go wrong in the future. I let this type of thinking hold me back way too long earlier in my life.
My point was Peter had a dream, beleived in it and actively pursued it. You will be amazed at what can happen when you open your mind to this kind of thinking.
astroboy

Fine line

Hi Bill,

I for one enjoy reading debated opinions on Somersoft. I feel these posts don't need to develop into flame wars however, if the points aren't getting through then I think people should 'agree to disagree' and then move on. Hopefully this thread will be in that vein.

I have had concerns with the assumption that CG will tend to outstrip inflation by a few % with residential property. If there are no other factors involved then the yield with just keep getting lower, also assuming that rents are roughly tied to inflation. I'm thinking the answer might have something to do with the changing use of property, if a house grows a large amount in value and the yield is very low then isn't it likely that the land will be changed to higher use? Duplex's and blocks of flats are being built in the suburbs close to the Brisbane CBD on blocks of land that used to have the typical low yield/high value house. This 'higher use' will allow the yields to be maintained at decent levels.

With regards to the boomers moving into retirement, I think any doom scenarios are likely to encounter similar results as to those predicted with the y2k bug. I'm thinking that there will be as many opportunities created by the changing flow of money as there are taken away. One smart investment fund manager I met has a sizable investment in a caravan making company as the retiring boomers are set to make this a growth industry. Also there will be great demand for retirement housing and smaller units in property in the future I think.

I can also see a situation where the government will increase immigration of younger people allowing for a larger tax base. Our population is not so large by the regions standards (Indonesia 200mill). Germany is one European country that has used this model.

On another matter Bill I'm interested in your point about a lot of people losing money in unlisted property funds in the 80's and early 90's. What exactly happened there? Was it just a case of dodgy operators?

WaySolid

Bill - I think you do ask some very pertinent questions, and now that you've started your own topic, I don't have an excuse for closing the thread :p

I'm not going to attempt to answer any of your questions - sorry (mostly because I simply don't know, not being old enough to have the experience, and my crystal ball isn't working very well either)

However, there's a couple points I'd like to make to nobody in particular.

1. I consider myself to be a pretty conservative investor - the only reason I can get away with doing what some people would consider to be high risk (eg high LVR, or investing in risky asset classes) is that I am young (and hence have time to get over mistakes), and I currently have a high level of surplus income.

2. I don't think there's terribly much value in getting caught up with "what might be" - you don't know what will happen, significant world events tend to change people's attitudes quickly, and even things like a change of government can have an impact (good or bad) on the economy that may impact on you investments, as can many other factors.

3. I think it's a better idea to A) invest in fundamentals (as opposed to "promises"), and B) invest in the here-and-now (as opposed to the "what-might-be").

Too many people will look at what has happened in the immediate past and use that as the basis for what will happen in the immediate future - that's a very foolish approach in my opinion.

Some people will look at historical trends and try and apply that to what will happen in the future - that to me is a foolish strategy too.

Some people will come up with analysis models based on a variety of indicators and try and use that to predict market sentiment and work out what will happen in the future - to me, this is also foolish.

Why is all this foolish ? Because they all try to predict the future. Let me tell you a fact. You cannot predict the future. If you could, you wouldn't be here would you ? You'd already be sunbaking on one of your tropical islands. Nobody can predict the future, and in my opinion it is foolish to try.

What you should do is understand the fundamentals, invest in fundamentals, make sure you have an exit strategy, make sure you have a safety net, only take gambles that you can afford to lose, don't bet it all on "red", and most importantly, make decisions based on what IS happening, not on what MIGHT happen.

I liken my strategy to the way Steve Navra's managed fund works - he doesn't use any type of analysis to work out what will go up in value ... he trades on what has happened, not on what might happen. That's the only way you can be sure.

Just my opinions.

Sim said:
Too many people will look at what has happened in the immediate past and use that as the basis for what will happen in the immediate future - that's a very foolish approach in my opinion.

Some people will look at historical trends and try and apply that to what will happen in the future - that to me is a foolish strategy too.

Some people will come up with analysis models based on a variety of indicators and try and use that to predict market sentiment and work out what will happen in the future - to me, this is also foolish.

Why is all this foolish ? Because they all try to predict the future. Let me tell you a fact. You cannot predict the future. If you could, you wouldn't be here would you ? You'd already be sunbaking on one of your tropical islands. Nobody can predict the future, and in my opinion it is foolish to try.

One of my recurring themes in somersoft is borrowing concepts that are used in Shares and apply them to Property.

I'd disagree with your statment that you can't predict the future. Now I'm not saying I can predict " the future " , but I feel that in certain situations in property I can identify potential investments which have a high probability of proving correct.

The reason I mentioned shares is that in shares there's an acceptance ( amongst some people ) that you can be fairly accurate in predicting the immediate future. What brings people undone is when they think they can predict a longer term future.

I felt pretty damn confident when I've bought property in the last 2 1/2 years that those properties would go up significantly in the short term and todate I've been right. I feel confident in my ability to recognise a certain combination of events in the furute , and that combination will lead to a further increase in prices in the short time. This is what I think I can do with short term predicting. This has nothing to do with fundamental analysis and has everything to so with watching what the herd is doing.

Some may say that everyone who bought property two - three years ago did the same , but the reality is that , at the time there were plenty of people predicting those investments would fail and there were even more who wern't confident in there own ability to chose the correct investment and did nothing.

A couple of people have asked me when I'm going to start buying in Sydney , and I've said I've got no idea. I will wait untill I see the right conditions, and at that time I'll buy . If I wasn't concerned about immediate returns I know exactly which suburb in Sydney I'd be buying of the basis of fundamentals .
Personally I think I can do better investing my money elsewhere in the mean time and when I think the conditions are right , I'll start buying.

See Change

Hi all,

Sim,
Some great answers for someone for someone not trying to answer :D

A bit of housekeeping. How come some people can reply to a closed thread, who neither started the thread, nor are moderators, while other people can't??

On your post you mention your investment decisions are based on what is happening. Do you not see a conflict with the Navra fund you mentioned that is based on what is happening now(a share price retreat) will stop and reverse(expectation).

Funny you should mention the "You'd already be sunbaking on one of your tropical islands."
A friend and myself were at one of those weekend motivational seminars(run by a MLM) a few years ago. The typical start was along the lines of "Imagine your in your dream house, living exactly where you want to live and doing exactly what you want to do". We looked at each other and stated "but we are already doing those things".
I'm afraid I'd find the sunbaking a bit boring in a very short period of time.

Waysolid,
Those property trusts of the late 80's. The problems with the unlisted PT's were that there was a liquidity problem. When redemptions began to grow(at the end of the boom) they initially paid them out of reserves, but redemptions began to grow too large for the trusts. Property(office,industrial and commercial) had to be sold to pay out the redemptions. The market was flooded with this type of property that led to a decline in price(redemptions were frozen, ie you became locked into your investment, and I think some laws were passed allowing the UPT to do this.) The geared trusts found their equity disappearing into thin air. A combination of high interest rates, initial redemptions paid out at inflated values(and often with borrowings), and declining prices, along with higher vacancies due to the "recession we had to have." , was a recipe for disaster. Anyone remember Armstrong Jones?
Perhaps this article explains a little more.

http://www.moneymanagement.com.au/articles/40/0C018840.asp

or perhaps this article can help give an insight as to what happens in a trust.

http://www.pierpont.com.au/eco_Archives/default.cfm?behaviour=view_article&id=3009

Astroboy(that was my favourite cartoon in the 60's),
Yes we all tend to put our foot in our mouths at times. Your "don't like to dwell too much on what may go wrong in the future." is where I have made mistakes in the past. By not allowing for things to go wrong I have let risk become disproportionate. If you have been lucky enough to invest in boom times only when great risk did not matter, of course the attitude would be to go out on a limb for that dream.

bye

see_change said:
I'd disagree with your statment that you can't predict the future. Now I'm not saying I can predict " the future " , but I feel that in certain situations in property I can identify potential investments which have a high probability of proving correct.

That was kind of my point. You cannot predict the future, but you can take measured risks based on what you see here and now - which is what I saw you doing with your real estate purchases - you looked at what the "herd" was doing, you looked for instances where you thought the "herd" would move to, and you got there before them. You might have been wrong - the market may have changed dramatically overnight due to unforseen external events - but you took the chance knowing that it was more likely than not to work the way you wanted. A measured risk, not a hopeful gamble.

Buying in those areas 5 years ago would have been a much greater risk because the demand wasn't there yet - and there was more time for external influences to prevent that demand from building to the required point (for example, a couple of extra rate rises earlier than those we did get - which might have scared investors away completely).

Bill.L said:
A bit of housekeeping. How come some people can reply to a closed thread, who neither started the thread, nor are moderators, while other people can't??

They can't unless a moderator opens the thread temporarily. I wanted to get a bit more of a cleaner closure to that thread than we had originally.

Bill.L said:
On your post you mention your investment decisions are based on what is happening. Do you not see a conflict with the Navra fund you mentioned that is based on what is happening now(a share price retreat) will stop and reverse(expectation).

That's the key with Steve's fund - it trades volatility. Shares trending down also go up again for short periods of time before resuming their downwards trend, thus allowing the trading system to make money in the "peaks and troughs" of the share price no matter which direction the trend is heading. More the point, other shares might be going up while those shares are going down. They make money on the changes in share price that actually happen, not on a prediction of whether the shares will go up or down.

These threads are just too much fun to pass up on, aint they? :)

I'll add a more thoughtful post later, but for now I would like to qualify Sim's statement that you can't predict the future. That's true of course but some can see the present with greater clarity (and sooner, if that makes sense) than others. It's like sailing a yacht, maybe. You can keep your eyes on the set of the sails and the wind over the deck and sail fast! or you can keep your eyes on the horizon and pick windshifts, avoid shoals etc and maybe win the race.

Of course you are allowed more than one set of eyes on a boat and by writing here we can call wind shifts and squalls to each other. Beats the heck out of doing it alone!

Thommo

Hi Sim,

Interesting how people can look at the same data set and see different things happening. You "see" volatility happening, I "see" lower share price happening.(Looking at individual stocks that is)

Thommo, I like the sailing analogy. I'm sure there will be lots of "wind" in this thread, as long as it's not all "hot air". :D

bye

Bill.L said:
Hi Sim,

Interesting how people can look at the same data set and see different things happening. You "see" volatility happening, I "see" lower share price happening.(Looking at individual stocks that is)

Thommo, I like the sailing analogy. I'm sure there will be lots of "wind" in this thread, as long as it's not all "hot air". :D

bye

I think Sim is referring to the noise of a share price on the way down or for that matter up. The price has an overall direction but i think the Navra 'black box' trades on the small variations within that general direction.

Bill.L said:
Hi Sim,

bye

As with everything the proof's in the results. According to the NavraInvest web site the year to date results are 2.95% outperformance, i.e. the relevant index has done 4.72% and the fund has done 7.67%. On the assumption that the fund operates by buying when prices fall and selling as they rise then I guess by implication there's been enough "volatility" for the fund :rolleyes: . As I understand it the fund can make money even on a falling share price though.

Cheers
N.

NavraInvest fund

Sim, NigelW

You are over simplifying the NavraInvest fund strategy. Yes, the fund trades the irrational behavior (i.e. volatility), and yes it buys when the price go down and sells when the price goes up. There is a complex (I assume) algorithm to workout when to buy and when to sell. If the fund strategy description left as is without further explanations it sounds like a disaster. Why? Because it is a dangerous practice to buy into the falling share price as you just don’t know where/when and if it is going to stop. However, Steve is very clearly explained that fundamental analyses plays huge role in selection and ongoing monitoring of the stocks selected for the portfolio. The “black box” trades these stokes and there is an expectation/belief that these companies are solid and every price fall eventually will be corrected with equal or greater price rise.

The fund can make money on the falling market. It doesn’t mean you will make money too. To make money the fund must to outperform ASX 200. So if ASX 200 dives 20%, but the fund looses 13% there is a handsome profit to the fund and still 13% loss to you.

M.

Sim said:
That was kind of my point. You cannot predict the future, but you can take measured risks based on what you see here and now - which is what I saw you doing with your real estate purchases - you looked at what the "herd" was doing, you looked for instances where you thought the "herd" would move to, and you got there before them. You might have been wrong - the market may have changed dramatically overnight due to unforseen external events - but you took the chance knowing that it was more likely than not to work the way you wanted. A measured risk, not a hopeful gamble.

Sim ,the reason why I disagreed with you was because of these particular statements

Sim said:

Why is all this foolish ? Because they all try to predict the future.
I did all of the above in my assessment of where and when to buy and I believe they are all valid tools. I found they worked and they will be part of my ongoing property investment toolbox.

So by your definition I was trying to predicting the future.

It was interesting to see how things unfolded.

We had a massive external shock which fundamentally changed the geopolitical landscape ( 911 ) and logan still more than doubled in two years ( along with the rest of the Eastern Seaboard ), and despite interest rate rises which have stopped the rest of the market, Rockhampton and the rest of North Queensland have followed their Historical pattern of moving after the rest of the East Coast.

Obviously it was important to look at the specific places involved to make sure there was no fundament reason why they wouldn't follow the historical patterns , but I couldn't find any . :)

My only frustration is that I should have got into Townsville earlier.

See Change

Last edited:
Mikhaila said:
Sim, NigelW

You are over simplifying the NavraInvest fund strategy. Yes, the fund trades the irrational behavior (i.e. volatility), and yes it buys when the price go down and sells when the price goes up. There is a complex (I assume) algorithm to workout when to buy and when to sell. If the fund strategy description left as is without further explanations it sounds like a disaster. Why? Because it is a dangerous practice to buy into the falling share price as you just don’t know where/when and if it is going to stop. However, Steve is very clearly explained that fundamental analyses plays huge role in selection and ongoing monitoring of the stocks selected for the portfolio. The “black box” trades these stokes and there is an expectation/belief that these companies are solid and every price fall eventually will be corrected with equal or greater price rise.

The fund can make money on the falling market. It doesn’t mean you will make money too. To make money the fund must to outperform ASX 200. So if ASX 200 dives 20%, but the fund looses 13% there is a handsome profit to the fund and still 13% loss to you.

M.

Hi Mikh

Apologies for my "oversimplification". :rolleyes: I just wanted to pick up on Bill's comment that one man's volatility is another man's prediction for meltdown :eek: (and yes I know that's not exactly what Bill said :D )

You're correct that the manager can still take a fee if the return is negative - but less negative than the index...but that's investment risk in equities ! On a glass is half full analysis, the manager has SAVED you from several percentage points of loss...

I guess I assumed most people on the forum are broadly aware of how the fund works...for those who aren't there is quite a lot of detail on the website www.navrainvest.com.au

Sorry to sound like an infomercial (and no it wasn't a dorothy dixer from Mikhaila)! :D

Sim said:
You cannot predict the future. If you could, you wouldn't be here would you ? You'd already be sunbaking on one of your tropical islands. Nobody can predict the future, and in my opinion it is foolish to try.

So then why are we all here?

Are you advocating that we sell our investments and spend each dollar as fast as we earn it?

Sim said:
What you should do is understand the fundamentals, invest in fundamentals, make sure you have an exit strategy, make sure you have a safety net, only take gambles that you can afford to lose, don't bet it all on "red", and most importantly, make decisions based on what IS happening, not on what MIGHT happen.

I liken my strategy to the way Steve Navra's managed fund works - he doesn't use any type of analysis to work out what will go up in value ... he trades on what has happened, not on what might happen. That's the only way you can be sure.

You cannot be certain of anything.

You have basically said that any other investment strategy other than the one you approve of is crap. While I have only been in this game for 6 minutes now (not 5), one thing I do know is that there are plenty of ways to skin the proverbial cat. There is not one "right way".

If we all thought the same we would all get the same results.

Thank goodness for diversity I say - of opinions and of investing strategies.

Mark

Pitt St said:
So then why are we all here?

Are you advocating that we sell our investments and spend each dollar as fast as we earn it?

Did I say that Mark ? I don't think I said that.

I was responding to Bill's concerns about what might happen - I was trying to explain that getting caught up in "what might be" at the expense of "what is" is not going to achieve much.

We invest in real estate (over the long term) because we have a belief that the fundamental demand for shelter is going to lead to an increase in asset value / and or income, and not because we think this house is going to double in value next week (that's called speculation, and is not, by my personal definition, investing). Same argument with shares.

Pitt St said:
You cannot be certain of anything.

Of course you can. You can be sure of what has already happened (assuming you understand what's actually going on and aren't "blind" to the facts).

Pitt St said:
You have basically said that any other investment strategy other than the one you approve of is crap. While I have only been in this game for 6 minutes now (not 5), one thing I do know is that there are plenty of ways to skin the proverbial cat. There is not one "right way".

If we all thought the same we would all get the same results.

Thank goodness for diversity I say - of opinions and of investing strategies.

Sorry Mark, I really don't understand what you are saying here. I think you have misinterpreted my posts.

I was not so much advocating an "investment strategy" as such, more a way of dealing with risk and of "what might be", in response to Bill's post.

I was telling Bill that the concerns he has are valid, yet since we cannot predict what the future will actually bring, to wait until we actually see what's happening, and then make our decisions based on that reality rather than the one we envisioned in our heads. Just make sure you have the exit plans and safety nets in place for those unforseen realities and keep moving forwards.

Last edited:
Here's a post from another thread.

Top 100

My greatest success for the last 12 months was buying resource stocks back before May. After reading a zillion tech analysis books, and ending up ga ga, I just fell back onto simpler strategies...in this case, is demand for Aussie coal and fuel going up, and are there limitations on an equitable increase in supply? Answer... yes, esp in China.....

Further, with coal stocks, a lot of sale contracts were coming up for renewal, at a higher cost of course....

therefore I bought FLX, MCC, SRL, WPL, and HDR. Have now started to trade these on resistance and support levels. Currently ahead 180% pre tax.

Bruce has done well, so did he foresee the future, or was he just lucky?

Neither, of course. He read the day's news on the day it was published. But obviously read it well. Wasn't rocket science though. Anyone who read my posts (and others, notably Acey on oil) over the last six months or more with an open mind could have joined the gold/oil/nickle/uranium rush. If you have an open mind now It's still not too late .

It's not what you look at, it's what you see! :D

Thommo

There are things that I believe can be learnt from the past.

There's a solid historic record of what happens when certain situations occur & people have reacted in a certain way.

It's useful to know what people think about the lessons of the past as it does, rightly or wrongly, shape their choices in the present. For example, there is no guarantee that the sun will rise tomorrow - however almost everyone assumes it will & acts accordingly. In fact one of the best ways to change people's views & decisions enmasse in the present is to change their perceptions of the past (as the media does quite well).

I find reviewing the past a very useful guide to how people will react in the present given certain expectations of the future. This is marginally useful for making specific investment decisions but is VERY useful in assessing the risks in different investment asset classes. ie: I don't use it to decide which house to buy, but I do use it to decide whether property or shares is likely to offer the best return for the risks.

When I make my investment decisisions they are strongly based in what is happening now & reacting to current event - in a similar way to which Steve Navra's software operates (I'm told).

I use the knowledge of what happened in similar past situations to assess the level of risk of loss...if it happened once it can happen again.

However the past situations must be similar or they are useless for this risk assessment. Aka: comparing Australia now with Japan thirty years ago - I don't see the comparison as valid for risk assessment purposes due to the huge difference in the situations if you actually look into them in depth.

Dealing with your specific questions Bill:

1) An aging population does raise challenges. Everyone seems to be aware of these challenges. Hence I believe we will move to address these challenges - importing young people to care & pay for the welfare of the old. Wealth will change hands in a generally orderly fashion & life will go on.

2) Can CG continue at 8% with inflation so low.....Bill, I don't know, maybe it can. However a year to year comparison is irrelevant - more relevant is the 10+ years timeframe. Can CG continue at an 8% or better level in major metros over the longer term - there are strong indications that a country growing from our level of population to 30 million over the next half century can sustain this, based on the experiences of other countries. Why can't it happen here?

If it's not sustained frankly it's not important. What is important is that it grows at a rate faster than inflation. Is that plausible? Historically yes.....and people seem to believe that it is.

Note that we are in a period of slower CG right now that may last for some time. Even if it lasts for another 5 years at only 1-2% per year that barely changes property's 50 year average CG. Interestingly a similar thing occurs in the share market - shares go up on average 9% or so on average per year through a decade.....but there are usually a number of years in any decade when the prices go down.

3) Why would yields increase in the next ten years - who knows. I'd expect factors that applied in the past to remain a big cause and there's likely to be new unthought of factors that come into play as well.

Whether CG or Yields they are up or down though is irrelevant. What's important is how prepared people are to respond to the movements when they occur.

Personally I'm not putting a lot of funds into property atm and really haven't done much more than renovate existing properties to maximise CG for the last 12 months. We've shifted our focus into other areas just as we shifted our investment focus into property when that market started moving.

This is because I'm responding to what is happening, not what I hope or fear will happen.

The issue I have with your comments Bill is that where you are concerned that others have too much hope for the future you fall into the trap of having too much fear about the past.

I hope this all made sense - I'll try and summarise my thoughts later :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back