Possible to replace just a kitchen bench?

The rest of the kitchen is in great shape, just the bench is worn.

My concern is how hard it will be to remove the stove top (which sits atop part of the bench and connects to the oven underneath it) and the sink without destroying them? I'd hire a pro obviously but if it's really tricky I assume it'll be expensive too so I might just delay it.

Is this relatively straight forward or is it generally advisable to replace the whole kitchen at the same time?

Thanks

Your sink will be held in with clips fixed by screws. Very easy to get out.
The cooktop I just put into a kitchen is held in by gravity. Even easier to get out. I got the cooktop from a kitchen that was being demolished - whoever put it in there used gravity, too.
You will likely find the benchtop is fixed to the top of the cupboards with a handful of screws. They will be obvious.
The only tricky bit is if there are tiles sitting on top of the bench.

A new benchtop is a cheap and easy way of making a big impact.

Scott

That's awesome thanks guys. All this time I thought I'd have to wait until the rest of the kitchen wore out and replace the whole lot in one go!

Is the stove top replaceable too or do they tend to be made specifically for the ovens brands / models they came with? I'm hoping there is an industry standard so I can slowly replace bit at a time instead of all at once.

Also what's the best bench too material for a rental that I intend on moving into in the future? Granite? Marble? I'd like something hard wearing and classy but won't be easily destroyed by tenants. Is there a type I can polish up etc every few years?

The hole in the bench is made to the template for the stove. Stove tops are fitted to a hole.

You may find that the stovetop won't fit an existing cutout in the bench as the hole may have been for an imperial size or just different make of stove.

The other thing to consider when replacing a benchtop is that you may have to remove/replace or repair the splashback tiles as well.

The best benchtop for a rental - depends on the area/house/amount of rent. You may want to put caesarstone into your rundown fibro 2 bedder in Frankston or Elizabeth which gets $250/wk but it might be better to put a laminated top in and still get $250/wk (for a lot less capital contribution).

Last edited:
The hole in the bench is made to the template for the store. Stove tops are fitted to a hole.

You may find that the stovetop won't fit an existing cutout in the bench as the hole may have been for an imperial size or just different make of stove.

Hum this bit is a little confusing. You say it's cut to fit, then the second sentence you say it's pre-cut. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Got a photo, Jerry?
Cooktops are usually separate from ovens (though often mounted above them).
A hole is made in the bench and cooktop drops into it.
So if you keep the existing cooktop, you just need to make the hole in the new bench the same size.
If you need a new cooktop, get it first and work out what size hole you need.

I just picked up a Smeg cooktop for $100 from eBay for a kitchen reno. I have another one in my shed if needed. They look good and need the same size hole.

Scott

Separate unit, I reckon. But you might need to slide the oven out to get at any screws securing the cooktop.
Oven are usually just held into the cabinet by a couple of screws. They're easy to get out.
Turn the power off, of course, before you do any of this stuff. The stove and cooktop should be on their own circuit.

Hum this bit is a little confusing. You say it's cut to fit, then the second sentence you say it's pre-cut. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Breathe in.

The hole in the benchtop is cut to suit a template of the stovetop. If you are replacing the stove, it may not fit the existing cutout (may be slightly bigger or smaller than the old appliance).

I have nothing to do with the company but I have used Granite Transformations a couple of times during unit restorations and been happy with the results.

Breathe in.

The hole in the benchtop is cut to suit a template of the stovetop. If you are replacing the stove, it may not fit the existing cutout (may be slightly bigger or smaller than the old appliance).
This is true. Sinks and stoves are not standard sizes. I am replacing a stove where I live. It is a 70cm gas stove. The new one is slightly narrower and slightly deeper, so will need a bigger cut out in the bench. I'm also replacing the stove at the Cloverdale IP. That one is 90cm and the new one is also narrower and deeper. PITA.

To answer the OP's questions: sinks and stoves can be removed without damaging them. Depending on the type of stove, you might need an electrician (for electric stoves) or plumber (for gas stoves) to disconnect the services. Same goes for the sink. It may need the services disconnected by a plumber.

For installation, you install the stove yourself but may need a plumber or electrician to connect the gas or power (depending on what type you install) and same for the sink.

In the IP, I installed a gumtree kitchen with an existing older gas cooktop, which has now carked it. I installed the cupboards, installed the bench, cut out the recess for the cook top and sink and installed both of them. Then I got a plumber to connect the water for the sink and the gas for the stove. I got the plumber to set the sink up so that I can replace taps or the sink myself next time.

For the cook top though, he will need to come back to disconnect the existing cook top. I will then remove the cook top, install the new cook top and get him to connect it back up. Should be fun! :)

Breathe in.

But this is all about replacing the benchtop... Now's the time to swap out his stove if he wants to as he can cut any size hole he likes in the new benchtop he sources... :D

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah makes sense now, I just misread what he said and confused myself.

You're right, it looks like changing the bench is a good time to refresh the stove too.

What about sinks, are they a standard size or do they come in all shapes and sizes?

What about sinks, are they a standard size or do they come in all shapes and sizes?
All shapes and sizes. As far as I know, there are no standard sizes. For my IP, I bought a brand new Blanco out of gumtree for $50. It's nicer than the sink in my PPoR. :D

If you are thinking of changing the sink, it would good to do at the same time as you change the bench.

Back