Possums in the roof

Hi all,
I've got some possum tenants not paying rent occupying my roof area. Having trouble evicting them, I've sent them a firm letter, with no response. Any ideas?
Do those dick smith pest & rodent silent alarms things work?
Cheers
Ant.

"Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
--Mark Twain
AntC.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

I have a possum trap for just that purpose, probably illegal, had it for decades. Half an apple and a bit of jam and they're gone. The wildlife service used to do it for you as well. I found the residential tenancy tribunal of little help being biased in the tenants favour.

Only problem is you have to block the access hole or they'll be back squatting before you know it. The possum trap aka fox/cat trap works a treat though and should be available from a rural supplier or the like.

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1

Live snakes do help against possums as well rats, if you wish to introduce one on "temporary basis". Well, it does work for some people, I was told.

Serge.

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Good one Michael,

I also heard on the radio once, while ago, talking about possums in New Zealand, how big problem is, etc. etc.

And one of the farmers rang and said - I had lunch on my property (winery (?) in Victoria) with friends and couple of chines/Asian blocks walked in and asked politely: "Can we shoot few possum Sir? We will pay 50 cents per head." Well, go for it, do not worry about money, we have hundreds of them and it is bit of problem. So, do your best.

But then he was wondering, what on earth are they going to do with those possums?

Serge.

Reply: 2

Yes I sympathise Anthony. My parents had 2 possums and they make for REALLY unreliable tenants. Also in most cases, the tribunal WILL side with the possums!!!

In my parent's case, the female was pregnant and had a 2nd guy on the side resulting in lots of squabbling!!!. Hey Sim, this post is just screaming out for one of your replies !!

Where are you??

John

Reply: 2.1

Yes, I have shared houses with possum tenants before at my parents place. Quite amazing actually given that the roof is just corrugated iron/insulation/ceiling cladding with effectively no ceiling cavity - they still find a way in.

One of my old uni friends who has just bought himself a house in the Adelaide hills was just talking the other day about the problems he has with possums.

I've been a bit busy to come up with something terribly witty about possum tenants and such (sorry to disappoint)... but I will say one thing.

In SA it is illegal to kill possums - I assume it is the same Australia wide. In fact, I believe that if you trap one, you are not supposed to relocate them any further than 50m from where you found them.

The suggested method is a trap and some fruit (like Michael described)... move them away from your property (but not too far) and then make sure you board up all access points to your roof thoroughly - they can fit through surprisingly small holes !

While I agree that the residential tenancy tribunal is not going to be very helpful in these areas (they never are to landlords), I suggest that you contact your local council or indeed the local wildlife department for advice.

Sorry to be so lacking in frivolity... I'll try harder next time ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1

We have had possums thundering across the roof for 5 years now. Make new ones every year and an enormous amount of droppings, eat the cat's food and scare the hell out of the cat. Got them in tropical roofs over caravans too.

They're here to stay - non paying guests.

Live with it.

Cathy

Reply: 2.1.1.1

When I was renting I found a shot gun quite useful for dealing with possums. Now I'm a home owner I prefer the apple and jam approach.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Have you though of "light up the roof space" so that the tenants know that they are unwanted. These tenants are really from the "dark side", so some enlightenment might help.

Run a temporary electric cable into the roof space with a few bright light bulbs(or get an electrician install a few lights and a switch). On it for a few days until there is not more action in the roof, block off the hole and hopefully problem solved.

choon

Back