Post settlement window leak

I have purchased a unit in a block of flats (Perth), after settlement I have discovered that some water comes in under/ through the windows (kitchen/lounge) when it rains. Hard to ascertain but it appears to be coming in through the frame where the window slides to open.
Is this something that the seller needs to fix?
Or rather where do I stand legally in terms of getting the seller to fix it?

It's your property, I'm afraid the problem is yours to deal with. When you bought the property it was essentially on an 'as is' basis, unless you stipluated additional conditions for the sale. The vendor has no further obligations to you post settlment.

It's probably not a difficult problem to fix. :)

unless it is brand new property coming under builder's warranty - you haven't really got a chance - you buy it as it is.

had no keys to my locks on the windows once i settled - basically told to pursue it through the vcat etc. rather than paying the fees and loss in time might as well hire a locksmith for $150 to unlock them. Too much hassles.

I have purchased a unit in a block of flats (Perth), after settlement I have discovered that some water comes in under/ through the windows (kitchen/lounge) when it rains. Hard to ascertain but it appears to be coming in through the frame where the window slides to open.
Is this something that the seller needs to fix?
Or rather where do I stand legally in terms of getting the seller to fix it?

Firstly as has been indicated you bought it it now all yours - warts and all,

As it is a unit there should be a Body corporate and strata agent involved and you can go and try and knock on their door.

Having said that windows are actually designed to leak, it really depends where.

It sounds to me that as there are a number of windows involved they face the prevailing weather and as such the water could be forced through the drains at the bottom of the aluminum sills. Maybe you just need to clear the bottom channels for water to flow as it should.

The other option is that the seals that hold the glass in the window frame have perished and need replacing.

Really need some pic's to know what the problem is.

http://www.unitcare.com.au/bp_strata_maintenance_windows.html
Common Problems - Aluminium windows.

• Drain holes blocked. Aluminium windows have small slotted drain holes in the outside face of the sliding component of the window. These can block over time, and this results the channel in which the glass slides can fill with water and can overflow into the room. To clean the drains carefully remove the sliding window, locate the slots and remove all dirt from the channel and drain slots.
  • Seals perish. The seals between the sliding and fixed parts of the window usually have a rubber and/or brush seal. This can wear over time allowing rain and air to enter the building.

Cheers

Back