Potential IP Layout - Ideas!

Hi Everyone,

Currently looking at a property that has some unique problems that I wish to solve. If I can do this cheaply enough, I could secure a nicely positive geared property. At the moment rental return is around $540 a week with the purchase price of the property being around 400k (possibly less!)

The unique issue is the fact that the toilet is located outside and the shower is located next to the kitchen bench!!! No wonder it has been up for sale for 7 months with no end near. There is potential to extend the rear of the building (3m to boundary) but this is too much initial outlay I am thinking. Plumbing can easily be ran by myself (I am plumber by trade).

See the attached photo. Both sides of the property are exactly the same. The interior walls are all double brick and I wish to keep 2 bedrooms 1 bath setup.

My idea at the moment is to turn the 'Bed 2' into a small kitchen with a bathroom seperated that has access from the lounge room. Unfortunately, there isn't much to work with!

15yi4o.jpg

Could you switch the "office and storage" and "kitchen and storage" to make a shared kitchen for both tenancies, and then you could convert the residentials combined kitchen/bathroom into a dedicated bathroom with toilet?

Commercial toilet could be the external.

I think you're option is probably the only one. Then you could convert the outside wet area into a laundry. As a plumber you would know but isn't the cost of "moving" a wet area massive? You would also have to consider whether access to the back yard would be via the new bedroom or would you knock out a new door way from the old bedroom/new kitchen?

I like the look of this one and I'm thinking there is good potential to rejig the LHS of this property which is the 2 bed residence :
1. Existing BD1 becomes the main BR
2. Existing Kitchen becomes BR2
3. Existing BD2 (the large one) get cut up as follows :
a) Bring a hallway through south to north roughly in line with the entrance path
b) off to the right of this hallway would be separate WC then shower-room
c) The remaining section of what is the existing BR2 becomes the new kitchen, which would service the existing lounge nicely.
Could even do a nice low cost timber deck all the length of the existing BD2, serviced by doors off the new kitchen and new hallway.

For the commercial half of the property you might want to fit a WC somehow into the office and storage room to service that. This allows the existing toiletblock to be re-purposed a laundry or lawn locker as suggested by OP.

Back