Potential tenant doesn't like agent

Hi guys

I am advertising my property at Gumtree and few asked whether the property is managed by property agent or not, and if not, they want to inspect. Is there something fishy I need to be aware of?

Cheers.

Yes
Agents are more likely to check bad tenant databases and do background checks then owners are. So maybe they have something to hide.

Hi DT

I will definitely do all the due diligence necessary. My requirements are as comprehensive as what property agents do. On the top of my own advertisement, an agent is also advertising for me, the property is managed by him. I just have separate inspection schedules etc.

Thanks for the information.

Is there a case where potential tenants who don't like agents, turned up to be good tenants?

I have used Gumtree to find tenants before. One of my best tenants right now came from Gumtree. She didn't like agents but was happy that all checks were done via the agent and then I took over the management. For 30 years I used to check myself (mostly just gut instinct - rarely let me down), but four years ago in the midst of a family crisis, we had three tenants leave at the end of their leases and so we asked an agent to find tenants for all three.

Since then, we do that each time now. An agent finds the tenant in return for one week's rent but I also advertise myself and send any takers to the agent. Those tenants who are looking for an "easy" target will not subject themselves to the agent checks, but those who simply don't want to deal with agants are happy to have the agent do the checks and then deal directly with me.

You will also get unsuitable tenants apply. Just keep your wits about you and do as many checks as you can as a private landlord (or pay one week's rent to an agent to do them, do the forms and entry condition reports etc).

They might.... but i highly doubt it.

But who knows they might be a nigerian prince who's currently working on a ship and needs to secure a place to live and are willing to pay you through Western Union ;)

Point is, if you're asking such questions, then i don't think you're ready to take on such tenants.

Hi guys

I am advertising my property at Gumtree and few asked whether the property is managed by property agent or not, and if not, they want to inspect. Is there something fishy I need to be aware of?

Cheers.

Not necessarily.

Depends whether you believe tenants would ever have a legitimate reason to have had a bad experience with property managers, and how often that might happen to otherwise good tenants.

Hint: Answers are "yes", and "often".

How the property is managed should be of no concern to a good and objective tenant.

A potentially serially bad tenant is going to avoid agents because they know they'll be less likely to get away with things than if the property is self managed.

It's like purchasing a property and the vendor doesn't want you to do a building inspection. Odds are they're trying to hide something.

How the property is managed should be of no concern to a good and objective tenant.

Agreed.

If they're doing the right thing than they shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Maybe they've got a dodgy TICA record that won't be picked up by a private landlord that doesn't have a subscription.

Cheers

Jamie

A potentially serially bad tenant is going to avoid agents because they know they'll be less likely to get away with things than if the property is self managed.

It's like purchasing a property and the vendor doesn't want you to do a building inspection. Odds are they're trying to hide something.

Depends on whether they are asking to avoid one particular PM or PMs in general.

I would never rent another property through my current PM and I would never allow them to touch one of mine.

Lazy, inept, unprofessional. Doesn't look after the owner nor the tenant. Just ignores everything, and sends her poor secretary out to do open houses and inspections.

If I was looking for another rental, rather than to buy, and I saw a property advertised I would enquire whether it was through this particular agency and would probably avoid.

But, in reality it is more likely that they are trying to hide something.

For sure some tenants will target privately managed IPs because they know they would never get approved by a PM and hope the private LL doesn't do all the checks.

But there are those tenants who have had bad experiences with PMs and seek out self managers.

Then there are those tenants who've had bad experiences with self managers and avoid them.

Definitely dodgy,

the only time they have a legit excuse is that they have had private arrangements in the past and have had no history, or are new into the country and have no track record

other then that its 99.9% people who have history of arrears/defaults/damage/vandalism/problems

and the excuse of not liking agents its a load of rubbish

thats like saying they need a car but dont have one because they dont want to pay for petrol!

Definitely dodgy,

the only time they have a legit excuse is that they have had private arrangements in the past and have had no history, or are new into the country and have no track record

other then that its 99.9% people who have history of arrears/defaults/damage/vandalism/problems

thats like saying they need a car but dont have one because they dont want to pay for petrol!

This is a commonly held view and a load of rubbish.

I run into tenants that hate property managers every working day, and funnily enough most of them are fine and had legitimately bad experiences. I imagine its especially bad in WA though.

D

No. It's like saying they need a car and will not buy from a dealer due to their bad experiences (or their mates bad experiences).

It all comes down to risk management.

What would owners say is the likelihood of scoring a less than satisfactory tenant and what are the possible consequences?

What are the risk treatments? Remembering that some treatments may also introduce new and additional risks.

Just to cut to the chase, a property manager is fundamental to our risk management for our small bundle of properties. Yes, that introduces the slight risk that we might miss out on prospective tenants, but on balance that is a risk we are prepared to take.

Tell them you haven't chosen an agent yet, can they recommend one that knows them or one they don't like, then you know more to follow up.? Otherwise, allow them to inspect the property subject to vetting and get an agent to do it. Sounds fishy though.
Cheers
crest133

I can understand not liking property managers- lots of them are awful. I agree that on balance its more likely that they have history, so worth checking closely.

But I can really understand not liking real estate agents & rental property managers.

I can understand not liking property managers- lots of them are awful. I agree that on balance its more likely that they have history, so worth checking closely.

But I can really understand not liking real estate agents & rental property managers.

I resemble that remark .... :)

Hi guys

Cheers.

If I was managing tenants and not going through an agent, I would only take tenants that I personally know or a friend of a friends. What you going to do when shi# hits the fan?

If I was managing tenants and not going through an agent, I would only take tenants that I personally know or a friend of a friends. What you going to do when shi# hits the fan?

I think you'll find that most people here would do the exact opposite.
Money can tear friendships apart. This is no different.

Back