Potential VIRUS - don't open Alex Ermo messages

People,

I'm not sure (I haven't even clicked on the topic) - but, I am always sceptical of 1. people I've never heard of before,
2. Anything which has "FW: " at the start
and 3. topics which say things like "Romantic screensaver".

I would strongly advise you DON'T open these. I am arranging to have them deleted.

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

G'day all,

I suspect poor Alex is just another innocent victim of today's "virus-mad" vandals. As with others before him, he is probably quite unaware that his name was chosen from "Someone else's" mailbox, and appended to the virus as the instigator.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to raise Ian Somers tonight, but have (using a specially prepared email platform that leaves NO forwarding address - otherwise any virus could come straight back at me!!) notified Alex that this problem exists.

As you know, anyone who "posts" a message on the forum CAN delete it (and, of course, the moderator of the forum can too).

Too keep you all in touch, I have left a message for Ian Somers on his answerphone, emailed him, and emailed Alex. Hopefully, one of these ways will bear fruit, and the suspicious postings will be deleted.

In the meantime, don't open them - but if you do inadvertently, DON'T open any attachment within the post (because that FOR SURE will have you propagating the virus).

This scourge of the modern day is quite beyond the likes of me - I don't know what else I can do (but I certainly HAVEN'T opened any of the FW: messages with Alex Ermo as the Sender). Keep in mind that Alex is likely to be a completely innocent party - AND, I see the number of posts from the virus continues to climb.

I am personally very happy that I don't use email to post to the forum - like I said, all of this stuff is quite beyond me, but I always think "You can't be too careful"

Be careful people - we'll get sorted as soon as possible,

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 1.1

The posts have now been deleted. I do not think that it is anything to be too afraid of. The posts certainly contained what appeared to be viruses, but these are only dangerous if they are executed. In fact it was impossible to execute them as they appeared in the body of the message in hexadecimal format (text, not binary).

Back