Power Lines

If it is worrying you, it is going to worry others, which will ultimately affect the sales price of the property....

The Y-man

A friend of ours years ago was going to buy a house. Very excited and wanted us to see it. As we got closer to the power lines my hubby said "it's not near those power lines is it?" Yep. Right next door. He went home and researched and pulled out. That was in Cherrybrook.

There are a lot of power lines there with houses very close to them.

There seemed (to us teachers working there) to be a higher than average incidence of cancer in the area (including parents and teachers). Lots of the teachers live nearby. "They" checked it out and apparently it isn't a hot spot. I'd like to see the results.

The problem with power lines is that LMI usually won't insure banks if they're within 100 metres so you're effectively limiting your market to those who have a +20% deposit

Has anyone suggestions / experience / advice concerning properties near or adjacent to overhead Power Lines? Hard to sell? Health issues? etc.
Thanks. Julie

From an investment point of view I just would not buy near overhead power lines, because it will absolutely effect re-sale and valuation.

When I was looking for a new PPOR in March there was a nice house, only 10yo or so, that backed onto an open reserve that had the huge tower structure power lines. They would have been 200m or so back.

I have since bought a PPOR, settled, moved in and been here for 3 months, and that house is still for sale with a 50k price drop and no takers.

Bargains can be had... but as an IP there was one in the same street which took about 2 months to rent after it became vacant.. same issue. People get the heeby jeebies about power lines.

Apparently there are some reports showing them to cause cancer

http://rense.com/general3/pwoerlines.htm
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...09/18/report-links-power-lines-to-cancer.aspx

Other reports say they could not find a link. Probably they did not try hard enough. Generally it takes years for power lines to change our cell structures and studies don't go that long.

Why take risk with your health. There was a house under power lines in Endeavour Hills, its asking price was 30% less than similar houses in the area. Still it didn't sell for a year or so..

Back