Power Lines

Has anyone suggestions / experience / advice concerning properties near or adjacent to overhead Power Lines? Hard to sell? Health issues? etc.
Thanks. Julie

You talking about the really big ones here?

I stay well away from them, a few too many links to health problems (confirmed or not) for my liking. If I think this way, then I'd assume there are others that think the same ...... unless I'm a total nutcase :D

I use to live in an area where big overhead powerlines go through a nearby park. In the morning where I use to go for a run, I can clear hear a low buzzing noise from the overhead coils when I am close to these giant towers.

Apart from the possible health issue, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere close to this irritating noise.

power to the people

i live close to some but have great river views to compensate
health issues, as a health professional i researched the databases and found nothing to back up the allegations.

people who are worried about power lines generally are not worried about
smoking
drinking alcohol
speeding
flying
sleeping next to their alarm clock
using mobile phones
microwave food
eating out of plastic containers
drinking fluride

etc etc etc

but as an investor you do need to consider what other people think even if they are entirely wrong

I live near power lines. Not the monster size ones. They are just a little larger than normal. Yes they where a concern when i bought but as they are over 70 meters from my property i decided to buy. People selling in my street get mixed feedback. Some are turned off. some dont care.I am at the back of the couldersack and the furthest away. The people at the start of the street are very close yet these houses sell no worries. The upside is there are no houses built there which opens the place up and gives great mountain views.

So in a nut shell there will always be people that are put off and others that dont care. depending on the size of the power lines and location of coarse.

There is a mini 90's development near Oxley and Darra that has numerous sardines side by side right under huge powerlines.

Link here

Anyway, I can not believe anyone lives here. Yes, the 50Hz buzz would be more than enough, but surely, living near these huge steel Eiffel Towers would send me loopy. A few hunder thousand volts would really turn me off...

Two houses in Rouse Hill (north-west Sydney) both backing onto huge powerlines, recently sold for $890k and $740k. We are just around the corner, about 6 houses away from same powerlines. I wouldn't like to live any closer. I am happy to be moving further away!

asides from the "buzz" that would drive me insane - having seen photographs of flouro tubes set up (unattached in a field around a pylon line) and glowing from the radiant electricity is enough to convience me that it's not worth the risk.

although sitting night after night yapping on my laptop is probably worse for me ... it's all about perception.

might mean you buy cheaper, but also means you might have to rent/sell cheaper. if i had the option i'd look for something else.

p.s. devo, it's spelt "cul de sac".

have sold a lot of properties under power lines and was very surprised how unbothered everyone was. I mean some of these places were right under major voltage!

I thought that the high voltage lines were only really a concern in built up areas, and not directly from the electric fields. From the pollution in the air, getting too close the fields, ionising (or something like that) and reforming into carcinogenic stuff. So higher density of cancer causing air particles around city based high power lines.
But I was reading about this 20 years ago, and haven't heard anything in recent times, so maybe just a bit of theory that didn't play out in the real world?

asides from the "buzz" that would drive me insane - having seen photographs of flouro tubes set up (unattached in a field around a pylon line) and glowing from the radiant electricity is enough to convience me that it's not worth the risk.

although sitting night after night yapping on my laptop is probably worse for me ... it's all about perception.

might mean you buy cheaper, but also means you might have to rent/sell cheaper. if i had the option i'd look for something else.

p.s. devo, it's spelt "cul de sac".
Dank yoo heeps for dat

but as an investor you do need to consider what other people think even if they are entirely wrong

I'm not agreeing or disagreening - I'm simply stating that scientific proof is a heavy burden to satisfy and often it is not in the interests of parties commissioning such studies to show a correlation.

The onus of scientific proof is so high that you were not allowed to state that "smoking causes cancer" for fear of legal action for many decades. In those decades many took the same view to yourself because there was "proof". And millions probably died from smoking-related illnesses.

The danger is apparently not the EMF/EMR but the concentration of positive ions emitted from high tension wires that is shown to be carcinogenic.

However, like smoking not everyone exposed to these will develop cancer. Smokers in decades past always cited the "80 year old smoker who smoked all her life" and has never had a cold.

If tenants express concern, does that make them wrong? The jury is clearly out on this one.

Valuers tend to whack a bit off if they are nearby which could be an issue if you ever need to refinance and/or if an initial valuation is required. If LMI is required the insurers also may restict LVR's as plenty of the market aren't interested in such properties (as can be demonstrated with posters above).

I personally wouldn't live nearby and would move further out of the area if price was the issue. But that's just me.

Back