Power of Attorney

Can anyone please give me feedback on whether they have used or plan to use a lawyer/solicitor for signing on their behalf.

I am an expat and getting the documents are the easy part, but getting the witness is sometimes very difficult or a practical impossibility as it needs to be witnessed by someone from the Australian embassy or consulate.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Nakal:confused:

Have you got any relative you can trust.

I've purchased property in my wife's name while she was out of the country using a Power Of Attorney. It has to be registered at teh Land TItles Office (in NSW anyway). it was simple. no problems at all. Funny thing is I sent the wrong document to the bank (ie me giving her power of Attorney) and they didn't even pick up on it.

TH

ps I don't think my wife knows about that property even now. hehehe.

Hi Nikal

I am by no means a lawyer but have are in a similar position to yourself, living off shore.

My husband and I recently discussed this question with our lawyer and he strong advised not to pass power of attorney over to anyone, except between ourselves (e.g. husband and wife). We can authorise our lawyer to do some of the paperwork for us but that will be on a case by case basis. His reasoning for this was that power of attorney can very easily be abused with very dire results. Luckily we have easy access to the Consulate so it is not too much of an issue for us.

I suggest that you seek legal advise.

Tamara

I sold a property in England about four years ago. I was resident in Australia at the time- but I went to England to clean out the house, and have it ready for sale.

I gave power to the solicitor (I don't know if it was power of attorney) to be able to sign any documents on my behalf- ONLY as pertaining to the sale of that property.

That worked really wwll for me. The solicitor has been in that place for many years, so that gave be an opportunit to trust him.

The PM however had done an awful job.

Back