PPOR - Advice on Floorplan

Hi Everyone,

We've recently purchased a new PPOR. Were deciding on a floorplan for the house before we look at going to builders/renos. I've attached a copy of the 'original' floorplan plus the 'proposed' floorplan I've come up with.

Some notes:
-Plan to add a third bedroom
-Split the main bathroom into two to make an ensuite for the master bedroom (third bedroom). Ensuite 1.2 x 2.5m and main bathroom 2.2m x 2.5m.

Some questions I'd like to throw to you:
1. What are your thoughts with the bathroom sizes? Have I shared the sqm evenly enough for an ensuite and a main bathroom?
2. Should I just keep 2 bedrooms instead of three bedrooms and have a larger kitchen to dining/lounge area?
3. What are the general renovation costs to set aside (in percentage terms) to set aside for a bath, kitchen etc?

And lastly, is there any advice you can provide on improving the floorplan?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Somersoft.jpg
    Somersoft.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 186
I think it's a good plan! Bathrooms look like good balanced sizes. And keep the third bedroom.

I'm interested to see the feedback, if any. I think you've done well.

Only thing I thought of was to move the kitchen to the long wall and have dining opposite across the width, if that makes sense. Just to get the dining area from being between family and kitchen?? Make it circular rather than long

Looks good!
I am concerned about the toilet right in front of the shower screen in the main bathroom though. It would be too cramped for me. I would put a shower over the bath to be more spacious. Or swap the location of the bath and the shower. With all the wardrobes, could you do away with the linen cupboard to make a larger bathroom and move the toilet away?

Looks good!
I am concerned about the toilet right in front of the shower screen in the main bathroom though. It would be too cramped for me. I would put a shower over the bath to be more spacious. Or swap the location of the bath and the shower. With all the wardrobes, could you do away with the linen cupboard to make a larger bathroom and move the toilet away?

Yes true, that toilet looks in the way of the shower and not practical. maybe look at swapping toilet and basin? But I'd say keep separate shower and bath as it will fit with some twerking!

Or look at removing the linen closet if needed, there is good storage in all rooms, and i would assume 10 foot ceilings?? Make them as big as possible regardless.

Last edited:
Hi,

The main issue that I see is that you've moved every single internal wall. Some of those are load bearing and if you move all of them you are looking at mega dollars.

I also can't find a laundry in your plans.

I think your master bedroom is too small at 3.2 x 3.4

I agree with the others that the main bathroom layout won't work with the toilet/shower as it is. You could swap the bath and the shower or as bob_shovel said move linen.

Personally I'd leave bed 1 where it was at the front and put the 2 bathroom combo in bed 2 location then bed 3 on the other side then carry on the plan as you have it - and add a laundry

The shower, toilet, linen looks far too cramped along one wall.

I would remove the linen press and take a section of the wardrobes in bed 1 and 2 and put two linen presses off the hallway. Around 50cm deep won't take too much off the wardrobes.

That will free up room for a decent size shower.
Marg.

The shower, toilet, linen looks far too cramped along one wall.

I would remove the linen press and take a section of the wardrobes in bed 1 and 2 and put two linen presses off the hallway. Around 50cm deep won't take too much off the wardrobes.

That will free up room for a decent size shower.
Marg.

I'm guessing this is a victorian style double brick house with 10-12ft ceilings.
While Marg's idea is nice, its going to be a very expensive exercise to do that.

Chee, I quite like your design, just beware of the roof line, it might make things harder.

Also i would definitely opt for a 3 bedroom.

My feedback would be to make the kitchen a | | shape or U shape instead of the L shape. I think this would give you back 600-1000mm, therefore making the living/dining look and feel bigger.

Hi Everyone,

We've recently purchased a new PPOR. Were deciding on a floorplan for the house before we look at going to builders/renos. I've attached a copy of the 'original' floorplan plus the 'proposed' floorplan I've come up with.

Some notes:
-Plan to add a third bedroom
-Split the main bathroom into two to make an ensuite for the master bedroom (third bedroom). Ensuite 1.2 x 2.5m and main bathroom 2.2m x 2.5m.

Some questions I'd like to throw to you:
1. What are your thoughts with the bathroom sizes? Have I shared the sqm evenly enough for an ensuite and a main bathroom?
2. Should I just keep 2 bedrooms instead of three bedrooms and have a larger kitchen to dining/lounge area?
3. What are the general renovation costs to set aside (in percentage terms) to set aside for a bath, kitchen etc?

And lastly, is there any advice you can provide on improving the floorplan?

Thank you in advance

I have a few questions:

1. Where is the laundry?
2. How do you actually get into the shower in main bath? Do you have to climb over the toilet?
3. Where are the fireplaces? Is the place heritage listed?
4. Main bed is too small, can you move the walls in the bedrooms to make the main bedroom larger?
5. Is there any window on the left side wall in the kitchen or does all the light come from the doors (I assume they are doors) at the rear of the house?

vtt
:D

I'm guessing this is a victorian style double brick house with 10-12ft ceilings.
While Marg's idea is nice, its going to be a very expensive exercise to do that.
r.

Agree. But just about every internal wall is being moved or altered. Wardrobe in front bedroom is going in where there is now a door so minimal expense there.
Marg.

Back