PPOR and Asbestos

Hi there :

Recently I bought my PPOR in auction. Just got my inspection done. The report is normal and everything looks good. However un the building inspection report, the following comment was made about the laundry section -

Walls/Ceilings : Plaster, Cement sheet that appears to contain asbestos. If renovations or alterations are to be carried out to this area, all asbestos should be removed professionally to promote a safe health environment

This concerns me a bit. I am also planning to partition the laundry and put in a new toilet. Is that going to be a big problem? What is involved?

Any help will be much appreciated as I am seriously considering the renovation bit.

Cheers!

Provided you don't need to drill into (new lights/drains/water/taps/power), cut or damage the fibro it should be fine. If it is in poor condition or you would rather replace it, call in a demolisher who is licensed to remove asbestos then resheet.

I had a chat with the inspector. He said it is well sealed and in good condition.

However to put in a new toilet looks like I need new lights, power, drains etc. So is it recommended to get someone to remove it?

Who can do all these? Is it very expensive? Any relevant information will be helpful.

Thanks a lot!

In my experience, it wasn't as expensive to remove as I had anticipated. Can't recall exact costs but to have all asbestos roof + walls removed from a shed of about 6x3x2.4m cost me approximately $1200 a few months ago in Melbourne.

The guys who did the job were complete professionals. They sealed off the area, wet everything down, removed and bagged the asbestos, vacuumed the site afterwards.

Try posting a job on serviceseeking or a similar website and getting a few quotes.

PD

Hi Dreamz,
Is prop in eastern suburbs?Reason i ask as i have a mate that does asbestos removal.
Cheers Spades.

Nah mate. It is in North.

Another thing I am wondering about is when to do it. Should I get all this done before moving in? Am thinking it is probably a big hassle to do all these when I am already there.

Also do I need council permit to do all these like partitioning laundry, putting in new toilet etc.

Cheers!

Back