PPOR - Carrum Down or Cranbourne West

Hi All,

We are planning to buy our PPOR in either CD (wattlewood estate) or CW (clarinda park) - Buy Land and Build in one of the two new estates..

What are the pros and cons of these two suburbs in terms of:-
- Capital gains
- Primary Schools
- Train station
- Socio economic backgrounds

Would appreciate your thoughts especially from people who have invested or lived in either of those two suburbs.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I hope nobody takes this personally but both areas are not that great as far as socio-economic backgrounds go, I have had a bit of verbal abuse because of the car I was driving at the time and did not feel safe when on my own especially at Cranbourne shops.

Do not get me wrong I have great friends that live in both of those areas and I do spend a lot of social time in those regions but they really aren't that nice and my friends that do live in Carrum Downs and Cranbourne West can't wait till they can afford to leave the area and I don't blame them.

If it were me I would choose Carrum Downs simply because of its closer proximity to the beach and Eastlink. Cranbourne West also has a lot more peak hour issues if you need to get onto one of the main arterials to travel for work.

To give you an idea it can sometimes take me 45 minutes to travel from Patterson Lakes to Cranbourne at peak hour which is absolutely insane, I can get to the city sometimes in that amount of time.

If you live in Carrum Downs you will need to use Seaford train station.

I wouldn't know which would have better capital gains.

Best of luck in your decision and choice.

Regards,

alicudi

Jump in your car and drive around there, go to the local shopping centres, see if people are wearing shoes or not, walk around the place to get a feel if its right for you. You'll soon find out on the types of people that live in the area and if you feel comfortable being there.

One persons opinion might be completely different to yours, I know people that hate suburbs or areas because of one reason and then heard from others the exact same reason is why they bought there.

Hi, my budget is 500K and we are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house..

I drove to both CD and CW over the weekend. Below is what I think

CD
- No train station - have to drive to Seaford (wife works in CBD)
- Close to Eastlink
- People do not wear shoes :)
- Old houses/great prices!
- Not sure about primary schools

CW
- Closest train station is lynbrook which is 15mins driving distance (wife works in CBD)
- New houses
- Peak hour traffic is shocking - However based on the master plan, there will be upgrades to nearly all roads close to CW
- New area, fairly good size land/ potential to build double storey with the budget
- Not sure about primary schools

I think the biggest issue with both suburbs is driving/train distance to the CBD and peak hour traffic...which will be improved in the long long term with planned road upgrades..

#confused

Shame you want a brand new house, 500k has a bit of power around there, Seaford? Carrum? Frankston? might sneak into Chelsea? Thats where I'd be looking if I had to commute to the CBD every day, suburbs with train stations.

500k in cranbourne or carrum downs is not really a great idea

Buy something in the areas simtr advised

Your house will be older but it will be a far better investment and a nicer place to live

A new house would be at the bottom of my priorities list.

Whilst I totally understand strongy & simtr points (I would personally prefer Chelsea), I'm really surprise how fast the land are sold in the new estates!:confused:

Whilst I totally understand strongy & simtr points (I would personally prefer Chelsea), I'm really surprise how fast the land are sold in the new estates!:confused:

It sells so fast as there's lots of people like yourselves who want shiny new things! Nothing wrong with thinking like that, we all would love new, some of us just chose to buy older for convenience factor, like access to public transport.

It sells so fast as there's lots of people like yourselves who want shiny new things! Nothing wrong with thinking like that, we all would love new, some of us just chose to buy older for convenience factor, like access to public transport.

The suburbs actually look better as well

There is nothing worse than that manicured look

I would prefer an old house as well , weatherboard is the best

Can't advise on Carrum Downs as don't know the area however I work in Cranbourne and the nature of my job I spend a lot of time in and around Cranbourne West.

There are some better pockets in Cranny West however it is the West that has a lot of old public housing and with that comes a lot of social issues which isn't always a bad thing as these areas are generally below the median price within a locality so you can pick up some good deals and the yields are generally better too- as long as you screen tenants well can be a decent investment.

The problem for me as previously mentioned in other threads is the amount of available land around the area- developers are swooping in and building new house and land packages left right and centre. The shire of Casey has strong forecasted population growth and lots of new shopping centres, proposed duplication of some of the main arterials, the upgrade of the Centro shopping centre are all pluses but I'm not convinced.

Until the demand outweighs the land supply I still think Cranbourne as a whole wont do too much, if I had to buy- I'd be buying a **** heap in Cranny West on a big block, renovate, reval, tenant and let time do it's thing

I wouldn't be advising on either! I'd go with comments earlier regarding seaford frankston area. More preferably seaford cause it's a great suburb and can pick up a great block at a good price. 500k will get you something excellent there and only 5 mins from the beach. The station has had major upgrades and the cafe lifestyle has certainly taken over.

My recommendation the Spanish bar or blue iguana caf

Berwick is 100k more for the same reason Toorak is 3 million more than Heidelberg West :)

Cranbourne, Narre, Dandenong have all moved Berwick has not really moved since 2008-2009. Berwick is usually say twice the price of Cranbourne therefore I'd use a different logic and suggest Berwick needs to play catchup to it's surrounding suburbs.

Upper Beaconsfield is another one that missed the recent boom (less than 20% growth in 5yrs). However this could be because people now desire to live in shacks on small blocks situated on train station carparks (compared to nice liveable area's only a 2min drive from a station). For example Sunshine is now equal to Berwick in price :S. Was less than half the price but now this train station fad has multi nationals sipping their lattes in detroit, as though that's classy... Therefore I have no idea for the future, using this logic if we put a train station in Heidelberg West it would probably spontaneously gentrify into a million dollar suburb.

Carrum downs maybe... years ago people preferred the burnout lifestyle there over the drug/homicide lifestyle in Frankstons' similar priced area's. But the way I see it these days people have changed from wanting a new home, and now prefer a 1960's tee pee built in a train station carpark. Therefore all the yuck homes in Frankston probably now considered trendy and since it has a beach, Carrum downs has nothing going for it.

The area of Carrum downs north of hall road and south of wedge road offers good value for $$$

3 bed 2 bath brick veneer still can be bought for $320- $350k

Older 4 bed 2 bath approx $380k

4 bed 2 bath 10-15 years old can be picked up round the $400-$420k mark.

Affordable space for young families.

New BUNNINGS almost open in "the downs" also.

We've lived in Lynbrook for 13 years.
We were thinking of moving last year into something new in the newer estates of Cranbourne. But after some research came to the conclusion that it made absolutely no (financial) sense to sell our current (bank val @ $500k) home on 750sqm to go and live in Cranbourne in a smaller home on a much smaller block and have to increase our mortgage to do it.
IMPO
For similiar money, you could pretty much buy 2 older homes on blocks around 600sqm (potential sub-division), way closer to the Shopping Centre and Train Station. And I feel it's these homes that have the better potential (down the track) to increase in value than the newer properties.
However, if you want to build in Casey (it is a great place to live) I'd be looking at the estates that sit right on the border of the surrounding suburbs of Clyde/Berwick/Pearcedale (potential for suburb name shift) or in the Livingston or Mayfield estates (closer to central Cranny and all it's great amenities).

Back