PPOR in Sydney, suburb suggestions

Yeah, I like Arncliffe too. Most of it at the moment is OTP (which we're not doing!). There are a couple though. For this one, they want $600k http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/apartment-unit-flat/nsw/arncliffe/?adid=2011723331&sp=5

Which is $65k more for it than another apartment that sold in the same building last month! http://www.domain.com.au/property/sold/apartment-unit-flat/nsw/arncliffe/?adid=2011790616&sp=4

I know it has been done up, but not $65k done up! Any idea why the strata would be different for two apartments in the same block?

We both like Bexley, but haven't seen anything big enough there. We'll keep looking though.

I lived in arncliffe for 5 years, these apartment blocks are directly across the road from masses of medium rise housing commission. Not sure it would be the best idea for a PPOR. On the other hand you would be 2 minutes to the international airport but have almost no air craft noise.

Also about a 3 minute walk to the train station.

It sounds like you have a very specific wishlist yet have a very strict and perhaps lowish budget for what you're after particularly if you need to be close to the Eastern Suburbs as well.

The market may pass you by if you are too strict on wishlist and budget. One has to give otherwise you will be spending your Saturdays for the next 2 years going to open houses before you know it.

Looking at five with my requirements within my budget today. As you said though, it's a "Wishlist". I'm happy to budge.

Thanks Logan, good to get a locals perspective. I think you're right, next to housing commission doesn't sound ideal. What are the local shops and restaurants like?

Today we're looking in Riverwood, Oatley and Mortdale. We live in Beverly Hills at the moment (so close to those areas), but apart from going to the shops at Riverwood every now and then we aren't too familiar with the areas. Anyone know if there's anything to look out for in those areas?

Looking at five with my requirements within my budget today. As you said though, it's a "Wishlist". I'm happy to budge.

Thanks Logan, good to get a locals perspective. I think you're right, next to housing commission doesn't sound ideal. What are the local shops and restaurants like?

Today we're looking in Riverwood, Oatley and Mortdale. We live in Beverly Hills at the moment (so close to those areas), but apart from going to the shops at Riverwood every now and then we aren't too familiar with the areas. Anyone know if there's anything to look out for in those areas?

There aren't any restaurants or cafe's in arncliffe just takeaway kebab and cheap pizza shops. There is a cheap veggie shop which sells a few other household items.

Arncliffe isn't really a destination but is easy to travel to other places from and is close to the inner west. There are lots of mosques in arncliffe so if you are religious in this way then it is ideal. If you are not but open minded about different religions and cultures then the presence of mosques will in no way affect you personally.

Mortdale and Oatley are very different suburbs, look at the demographics. It is more older wealthier people and young wealthy families. There are more apartments in mortdale than oatley. Penshurst nearby is also a good option as the apartment are limited by the conservation area. You could get an apartment in mortdale closer to penshurst.

There are cafes and restaurants in penshurst and mortdale. The ultra trendy 'check point charlie' right near penshurst train station is good for coffee but only a few seats inside. Worth looking at the interior. Both mortdale and penshurst have lifts at the station, oatley is getting one right now.

Let me know if you want more info on a particular street in these areas. I often go for 12+km runs in these areas and know the streets pretty well.

Thank you. We looked at an apartment in Pitt St we liked, but I think being so close to the pub it would be noisy. It's a convenient location otherwise but I think the noise would do my head in. Nothing else we saw on the weekend we liked, we'll just keep looking and I'll ask you if we like something in a particular street.

You might find something reasonable in Canterbury or Wiley Park (still keenly priced & on rail/near M5). If you're set on Arncliffe, then Tempe, Undercliffe could suit too.

We're looking for a 2 bedroom unit, but a big one. 100sqm+ would be good. Also want a courtyard or at least a decent balcony.

I work in South-Western Sydney and my husband in the Eastern suburbs. So no where north. Budget is $650k max. Don't really want to go over that.

We've looked a bit around Rockdale and Allawah but want to broaden our minds so we have more options. Ideas?

Before reading your last paragraph the suburb of Allawah totally came to mind. You will be able to achieve what you are after there and it's a nice little suburb that is accessible for both your and hubby's work. Carlton (right next door) is also good but has a lot less unit stock so may be a bit more tricky.

I would say avoid avoid avoid both Rockdale and Hurstville. These two suburbs are already overrun with units - unless you fancy buying a unit with a lovely outlook that 12 months later changes to a view of your new neighbour's bathroom I would stay well away.

Another suburb that may be worth exploring is Monterey. It has it's fair share of apartments but most are less than 4 storeys and well established. There looks to be some good buying there at present.

Good luck!
vtt

Plan for affordable PPoR close to city CBD.

Basically the points he already mentioned. Location, transport links, proximity to CBD and relative price. You have units over at Fairfield, 15km further away selling at similar prices.

Cool, thanks for the affirmation mate,
I'll focus my search on Hurlstone Park, Canterbury and Wiley Park for future capital growth.

Regarding the 'Mosque' in arncliffe.. Its actually a school. A school for middle eastern kids, any more details than that i dont know. so dont be fooled by wot u see on the train going past.

Let me tell u one thing, and a very important one.. there are NO, and i mean NO, bin laden bearded super muslim men wearing sheets or wotever they wear around here. most lebanese blokes around here and in trades, pavers, civil etc.

they are shiitte muslims here.. the muslims u dont want to live near are the sunni ones of lakemba, greenacre, bankstown etc. crazy beards, gowns and bad heads

there is also alot of christian lebanese around.

all are fine and ive never had any trouble or seen any once.

there troubles are within there own circles.

Regarding the 'Mosque' in arncliffe.. Its actually a school. A school for middle eastern kids, any more details than that i dont know. so dont be fooled by wot u see on the train going past.

Let me tell u one thing, and a very important one.. there are NO, and i mean NO, bin laden bearded super muslim men wearing sheets or wotever they wear around here. most lebanese blokes around here and in trades, pavers, civil etc.

they are shiitte muslims here.. the muslims u dont want to live near are the sunni ones of lakemba, greenacre, bankstown etc. crazy beards, gowns and bad heads

there is also alot of christian lebanese around.

all are fine and ive never had any trouble or seen any once.

there troubles are within there own circles.

ok, thanks for the sharing mate :)

Yes, thank you for asking. We ended up buying in Belfield, which is a bit crap from a public transport POV, but I hate public transport anyway. We wanted to buy in Beverly Hills but there haven't been any units up for sale for a while, and the rental we're living in (in Beverly Hills) is falling apart and people keep throwing rubbish in our front yard, hooning around in their cars, having fights, etc. and when someone crashed into my parked car and didn't leave a note I got jack of it and decided we needed to buy soon. We're very happy with the place we bought even if it is a bit further from work. People not knowing where Belfield is makes it easier to buy as well I think.

It was a bit further north than I wanted, but I do love Strathfield (for restaurants), and it's very close to there.

Back