PPOR Stamp Duty, then Move Out

Hi All

Quick one

If you move into a house as PPOR, so dont pay Investment stamp duty, then circumstances change & you move into one of your IP's shortly after, say 3 months, & start renting the house out, would you need to declare to the ATO that you have moved? This is in relation to the extra investment property stamp duty of $7175.00.

Asking this because you need to reside in a house for 12 months usually to be eligible for PPOR stamp duty. However thats a foresite thing, circumstances can change. What would you do?

Cheers, Brett

my problem was i had purchased a place last year as my ppor, i am getting stamp duty excemption however due to circumstances (job change) we move to other city and rent our ppor out after living there for 8 months. we thought it's ok since we originally thought we have lived there for minimum 6 months in 12 months (we confuse that with FHOG) but now we found out it really is 12months out of 12 months we were shocked, and now facing having to pay few thousand dollars for that little mistake :(

i know its our fault for not really asking around before moving out but is there anyway i can appeal for this?

You can contact OSR and seek waiver of the requirement, worth a try but don't expect to get one (just speaking from experience here), or you could not say anything and hope they don't find out, but I wouldn't count on that either....

You can contact OSR and seek waiver of the requirement, worth a try but don't expect to get one (just speaking from experience here), or you could not say anything and hope they don't find out, but I wouldn't count on that either....
hi porp did you have to pay the difference in full at one go? 7k is a lot of money to be paid at one go!!

Back