PPOR - Where in Melboure - Park Orchards?

We are slowly coming to the conclusion that we should downsize.:p Only problem is to decide where to move.:confused: All suggestions are welcomed. Ultimate wish list is the following:

1. at least 1/2 acre preferably an acre of land
2. eastern side of Yarra
3. easy access to freeways and/or public transport
4. no swimming pool (can compromise if otherwise good)
5. no tennis court
6. large garage or room and access to put one in
7. low maintenance garden
8. long distance views or otherwise nice outlook from windows, privite,
9. price below $1m

Someone mentioned Park Orchards as possibility, however we do not know anything about it. So all information about the surburb or any other possible surburbs that generally fill requirements are more than welcomed. We are just starting 'area' hunting... All help, pros, cons. and general information is highly appreciated :D

Next to no public transport if that is important to you - but access to city by car is quite good via the Eastern Fwy.

Not sure about the long distance views - unless you end up under one of the big 500KV power transmission lines - as there are still a lot of trees in the area. :)

The Y-man

How far out of town is it?

Also, take a drive round the area. Often best way to get feel for the area. Especially if for PPOR.

If you want excellent public transport, consider Warrandyte. Direct freeway buses run into the city every 15 minutes. Also buses to Ringwood and Eltham.

We are slowly coming to the conclusion that we should downsize.:p Only problem is to decide where to move.:confused: All suggestions are welcomed. Ultimate wish list is the following:

1. at least 1/2 acre preferably an acre of land
2. eastern side of Yarra
3. easy access to freeways and/or public transport
4. no swimming pool (can compromise if otherwise good)
5. no tennis court
6. large garage or room and access to put one in
7. low maintenance garden
8. long distance views or otherwise nice outlook from windows, privite,
9. price below $1m

Someone mentioned Park Orchards as possibility, however we do not know anything about it. So all information about the surburb or any other possible surburbs that generally fill requirements are more than welcomed. We are just starting 'area' hunting... All help, pros, cons. and general information is highly appreciated :D

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-park+orchards-110175965

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-park+orchards-110150497

Here you go.

The Y-man

Thank you for the replies. On Saturday we will head to Park Orchards and check some houses. Also the couple that Y-man linked, thanks! Also we are planning to drive generally around the area and test the breakfast in the local cafe somewhere. Can not wait :D

And Y-man I checked from the map and indeed it is on the south side of Yarra, not East. So I shall be corrected :D

Anyone here who lived or has lived there or Donvale? All comments are welcome. Are the suburbs quiet and peaceful (read: safe and boring :D )with good walking tracks etc. What about shopping etc? Ringwood and Eastland do not look like to be far and Doncaster shopping centre also in the same side of the city.

Both Donvale and Park Orchards looks like to be close to Eastern Freeway and Eastlink but the map does not tell truth about the peak hour traffic conditions. Might has to awake early in the morning drive there and try to get work from there and see how I go.

The Suburb hunting is now officially kicked off, so please start sending me the suggestions about the different areas that could fit to our requirements. I'll also start investigating Warrandyte. Spiderman's comment about good public transport was suprising. I always thought that Warrandyte has poor connections (no train line). :confused: So excatly the reason to ask advise here from the experts.

. Spiderman's comment about good public transport was suprising. I always thought that Warrandyte has poor connections (no train line). :confused: So excatly the reason to ask advise here from the experts.

...and you thought there were trains in Donvale and Park Orchards? :eek::)

The Y-man

Both Donvale and Park Orchards looks like to be close to Eastern Freeway and Eastlink but the map does not tell truth about the peak hour traffic conditions. Might has to awake early in the morning drive there and try to get work from there and see how I go.

You need to pick up a random stranger from a bus stop on the way so you can use the transit lane. :D

You may find it better to drive to a station or bus stop (the Freeway buses are ok - they have bus lanes up to the CBD edge).

The Y-man

Also we are planning to drive generally around the area and test the breakfast in the local cafe somewhere. Can not wait :D

Suggest Warrandyte for that - I am not sure if they have invented Cafe's in Park Orchards..... although I know some people that swear by a cafe in Tunstall Square.

The Y-man

Are the suburbs quiet and peaceful (read: safe and boring :D )with good walking tracks etc.

We have had a rogue kangaroo go hopping down our street, and a wombat trying to dig it's way under our neighbours fence.

Cockatoos are extremely noisy in the morning.

Footpaths have not been invented in many areas of Park Orchards and Donvale.... but some good walking tracks on which you are likely to be run down by a bicycle or an over-friendly dog that someone has unleashed on you.

One of the biggest dangers driving the streets near here is that the kids play on the streets (guess the parent feel it is safe), as well as getting families of local duck crossing the road.

What about shopping etc? Ringwood and Eastland do not look like to be far and Doncaster shopping centre also in the same side of the city.

Also the Warrandyte Village (Specialty shops, IGA), Tunstall Square (Coles), The Pines (Coles, Aldi, Woolies, Target, DSE etc), Devon Plaza (Woolies), Jackson Crt (Dan Murphy).

Some very popular schools in the area too.

The Y-man

Suggest Warrandyte for that - I am not sure if they have invented Cafe's in Park Orchards..... although I know some people that swear by a cafe in Tunstall Square.

The Y-man

LOL @ Y-man, too true, Park Orchards a very sleepy hollow, Warrandyte however has many excellent cafes, Stonehouse being a favorite of mine.

Walking tracks everywhere, Yarra river trail is flat, has off lead area for dogs, walk to Bakery cafe which has great kids play area, great market 1st Sat every month right on the Yarra. Walking tracks through the many state parks are steep dotted with lots of old mines.

Warrandyte is no metropolis but that is it's attraction, however still has many good quality resturants and a pub :) Very much a 'country town' feel but still very accessible to major shopping centres, Eastlink to the Peninsular, and Eastern freeway to the city and only 15 mins to Yarra Valley and all it's great wineries.

Entry level property is very sought after as is usually young families wanting to raise their kids in safe close knit environment, quite a few properties above 600K up to over a mil have been on the market for 3 months plus !

If you are visiting Warrandyte please drive carefully, as my kids as well as many local kids are usually riding there ponies about, usually to the fish & chip shop and skate park to hang out with friends while they are out hooning their ponies, and you might even see me riding through the local bottle shop after a stroll down the river trail :)

Lovely place to live!

WhooHoo, my 1st post having been a lurker for sometime, haven't been brave enough to post as didn't want to sound like a nuff nuff as using this forum to educate myself and feel totally out of my depth, but Warrandyte, now theres a topic I know alot about, so Hi to all SS forumites.

Park Orchards is absolutely lovely area.:D Large blocks, established houses and gardens with a lot of trees, especially pine trees. Reminds me about Europe. We also loved Warrandyte with a river and bush setting with a beautiful village atmosphere.

As mentioned previously we were planning to do only 'suburb hunting' because we have not yet sold our house. But of course I found my dream house :D but unfortunately we do not have afford to buy it before selling our current PPOR :(

It makes me sad :( and also mad :mad:, because I think that this could be a fantastic deal. The house has been on the market since November and the asking price has already been dropped by $250k, however according to REA the vendor is happy to consider all offers even below the current asking price. But of course we are not in the situation to make offers before our house is sold and we know what we get for it. So might have to let this one go. Annoying...

Warrandyte

LOL @ Y-man, too true, Park Orchards a very sleepy hollow, Warrandyte however has many excellent cafes, Stonehouse being a favorite of mine.

Stonehouse! That's where we ended up having our breakfast yesterday. :D Lovely place! The service was a bit slow, but we were not in hurry. You were also right it was not easy to choose where to go in Warrandyte. There were many cafes to choose from. Absolutely wonderful experience! No wonder that you love to live in the area.

The Warrandyte Hotel Bistro is also great. I was going to say try Warrandyte but Y-Man beat me to it!!!!

Park Orchards is great but don't forget Eltham, Kangaroo Ground and Hurstbridge are all wonderful areas.

Chris

WOW Tillie, I'm impressed with your research, it was one thing I was going to add in previous post but forgot, the bridge crossing at the roundabout in Warrandyte is horendous at peak hour, hence I personally wouldn't live over the bridge. Warrandyte was in the path of Black Saturday fires and we were saved probably only by an hour by wind change, has made everyone very aware of escape routes, if god forbid we are ever threatened by fire again.
Many community meetings and emergenciy plans still havent solved the problem, residents north of the bridge are very vunerable and many have installed bunkers on their properties.
I was at Stonehouse yesterday! Unfortunately not for breakie, was taking down an electric fence as my kids ponies were there for a few months to eat the grass down in the paddocks you can see from the balcony:)

Back