PPOR Wishlists: what do you like/wish for/fantastic ideas etc

What product/idea/concept/room etc would you put on your PPOR wish list.

I have a meeting with my builder on Monday about building our PPOR to talk design brief blah blah.

I have a wishlist of desires but I'm sure there are a million things that people have found, gadgets, concepts etc that they can share with me.

So far on my wish list:

- passive solar design (excellent North orientation available)
- solar panels
- solar hot water with gas instantaneous back up
- Viridian Hushlam glazing in windows (low E and sound deadening)
- 8 NaBers star rating

- scullery/butlers pantry
- kitchen-scullery-laundry all in line. I love my laundry off my kitchen
- mud room (common in US - an ante room where you store shoes/boots and in my case school bags, coats, wellies etc)
- workshop capable for putting in a car hoist
- a walk through shower in my ensuite (I'd happily never see another glass screen again!)
- a kickarse central room for living/dining. Double sided fireplace :)
- big alfresco area
- pool

Questions
- is wireless replacing all those home cbus systems or are they still a good idea. Is there a new technology to replace this?
-

My (first) recommendation:

tss_1389699488_11.jpg

:D

I have a room in my house (games/lounge or theatre I guess). It can be closed off from the rest of the house. It has a large internal window. Great for sleepovers/movie nights/kids parties or people who want to watch TV late at night without disturbing anyone.

My friend has a little secret room off her lounge room. It just looks like a cupboard but it's really an ironIng room. Place to hide ironing board and piles of clean washing.

Where do I start.... :D I have a folder on my computer titled 'forever home' where I put pictures of all my likes and wants.

I'm on my phone now and only have one pic handy at the moment but I love this:

nb6ekz.png

(I'd happily never see another glass screen again!)
-
One thing I have done in a few places is add a 1/2 height brick wall for side of shower and only have glass on top half. Also means you end up with a nice shelf. I know they are all the fad but not a fan of glass doors either so went with just a curtain.
- is wireless replacing all those home cbus systems or are they still a good idea.
-
Depends on what you want to achieve.
If you want to spend a fortune on being able to set lights to custom brightness and a few other fancy things its a ok system but can be complicated to adjust. Often from what I have seen people would have been better off with a couple dimmers and saving their money.

If by wireless your referring to computer networks there are plenty of systems around. Starserve(clipsal), Hills Home Hub, etc.
I just ordered another Amtex setup for my place.Amtex system Can create a nice little cheap home network and patchable TV system to suit what your needs are.

One thing I have done in a few places is add a 1/2 height brick wall for side of shower and only have glass on top half. Also means you end up with a nice shelf. I know they are all the fad but not a fan of glass doors either so went with just a curtain.

Depends on what you want to achieve.
If you want to spend a fortune on being able to set lights to custom brightness and a few other fancy things its a ok system but can be complicated to adjust. Often from what I have seen people would have been better off with a couple dimmers and saving their money.

If by wireless your referring to computer networks there are plenty of systems around. Starserve(clipsal), Hills Home Hub, etc.
I just ordered another Amtex setup for my place.Amtex system Can create a nice little cheap home network and patchable TV system to suit what your needs are.

Computer networks and such. I'm quite happy flicking lightswitches myself ;)

DH and I work from home so like to be on cat5 and teenage son likes cat5 for faster gaming. Wifi just doesn't cut it in CoD. Wifi for printing and iPads.

Can't beat having wired home network for LAN cables. Some might not appreciate it, but it will drive the first person who wants it and can't get it crazy. It will only be a matter of time until a long blue cable is stapled to the hallway roof. :p

helicopter pad

Just kidding, though I would love a helicopter.

Our list includes the mandatory man cave, would have to be bigger than the one he already has. For me, an air conditioned gym and a lap pool. Are pools easier to keep clean when indoors? We already have an underground wine cellar in the cave. Our next home if we build it ourselves will have a central open part in the roof to let out the hot air. The builder of this house thought we were nuts wanting vents in the roof so we snuck in a couple after we moved in.

After all the episodes of grand designs I've watched, i want a concrete house - solid concrete walls and polished concrete floors with lots of floor to ceiling windows. None of this gyprock.
Cheers, nat

Myf, I'm very envious, Congratulations again hopefully one day I can be in your position designing our dream home!
For me it would be a poolroom setup that has a GF style (Double bedroom and en suit for when people stay over) with a huge gym overlooking the pool and some man cave stuff..... Don't think i would have a lot of say in the rest of the house!

Have you though about engaging an architect? Just to get that "Flow and feeling" right and get it all drawn up in CAD? I have been to houses that have some amazing features in there own right would be absolutely fantastic but for some reason it feels a bit patchy and doesn't have a consistent style!

I think its a very hard thing to get right, no matter how many nights you lay up thinking about it !

Back