PPOR Wishlists: what do you like/wish for/fantastic ideas etc

A note on cabling. Don't get anything less than Cat 6 or 6e.

Various sales people have been claiming that for 4+ years. Mostly hype.
Cat5e does gigabyte which unless you are transferring huge amount of files constantly between beefed up file servers is quite adequate. For most PC's its the harddrive limiting the file transfer not network.
Cable and fittings about 1/3 cheaper.

Gigabyte switch ie Netgear 8port around $50 compared to around $900 for 10 gigabit. So it still got a long way to go before coming into affordable to average user.

That said if you want to look into the really long term its not a great cost.

My PPOR I am building.
1 to Bedrooms.
2 to Master (1 Data, 1 phone)
4 media room
4 Office (3 Data, 1 phone)
1 Lounge(TV)
1 Kitchen area. (Phone)

Main incoming phone line lands on a some (2 for me) patchable ports after being filtered by ADSL filter. 1 extra is used by ADSL unfiltered. All the phones run on cat5e so that if I ever switch to VOIP or heaven forbid NBN gets here its a plug and play swap over.

My PPOR I am building in 2-3 yrs will have a swim up bar into the kitchen -- sit in the pool and help yourself to stuff on the bench; from standing in the kitchen I must be able to jump right into the pool. The pool must be built before the house, Ive already started plans :)

My PPOR must also be in a fantastic location close to beach, walk to schools. I do not want a garage, waste of space.

Various sales people have been claiming that for 4+ years. Mostly hype.
Cat5e does gigabyte which unless you are transferring huge amount of files constantly between beefed up file servers is quite adequate.

I respectfully disagree for a few reasons - single SSDs easily transfer way faster than Gigabit ethernet, as do RAID spinning disks, and technology gets faster and cheaper at an accelerating rate. Also, faster networks mean less latency and less contention, you never know how much data you want to trunk between the network hubs you haven't even dreamed of yet. Video is another bandwidth hog too, get a few of those going around the house and contention can become an issue, particularly with the growing popularity of DLNA and other such things.

Also, Cat5e does gigabit (max is about 83MB/s) - Gigabyte is closer to 10Gb (with overheads)

In any case, whatever you run make sure you leave conduit with mouse lines so you can run in more / new cables and even fibre (yes, I'm serious) at a later date. The future is coming, be ready.

Last edited:
Some great ideas. I really liked the stepped up section in the theatre room, ill be doing that for sure.

The things im looking forward to most in the ppor im building is the games room with bar, pool table, and adjacent lounge with the theare room next door and the french doors opening out to a deck with inbuilt swim spa. Upstairs the full wrap around deck in the canopy of the surrounding trees will be awesome, and the little basketball court out the back. Also looking forward to making an awesome tree house with thatched roof too. Oh and the fireplace in the main bedroom should be really nice. Having a sunroom and walk in robe and the archways and breezeways throughout the main bed should be good too.

Lots to look forward to but also lots of work to build it first...

Progress on our new PPOR today... :)

140722_She_s_down_sm.jpg

Some great ideas. I really liked the stepped up section in the theatre room, ill be doing that for sure.

The things im looking forward to most in the ppor im building is the games room with bar, pool table, and adjacent lounge with the theare room next door and the french doors opening out to a deck with inbuilt swim spa. Upstairs the full wrap around deck in the canopy of the surrounding trees will be awesome, and the little basketball court out the back. Also looking forward to making an awesome tree house with thatched roof too. Oh and the fireplace in the main bedroom should be really nice. Having a sunroom and walk in robe and the archways and breezeways throughout the main bed should be good too.

Lots to look forward to but also lots of work to build it first...

Mr Westminster has vetod the theatre idea - he'd prefer a more multi purpose room and I'm not fussed either. We have a room labled 'games room' and it will end up being something like a theatre/gaming ummm anything else room.

We definitely have full verandahs all the way around which I love. I'm jealous that you'll be at canopy level!

Our kids have a treehouse on the list. Why thatched roof out of curiosity? I haven't really thought about what ours will be made of but DD6 has VERY big plans for it ;)

Myf - my tuppence worth...
1. Library. Mine has all my books and old National Geo mags, Pseudo antique globe ( couldnt find the real thing !) , retro recliner chair + ottoman, retro lamps and furniture etc. Relaxing in it right now with a glass of red as I write this.
2. Wow fish tank- big. Ours is > 3 m long and its floor forms part of the ceiiling of a downstairs bathroom. One can sit on the throne and see marine life swimming above!

Did we design it? Never in a million years. We would not have had the imagination or courage to come even close. If you fall into this category, get a good architect. Good luck and have fun....

..probably go for a heated granite pool with a underwater stereo

• heated granite pool with a underwater stereo
  • two-lane bowling alley
  • full bar and disco
  • rock climbing wall
  • full spa facility
  • The "recreation pavilion", features a skateboarder's halfpipe
100064245-Halsey-Lane-Bridgehampton-Extravagant-Home-1-Percent-CNBC.600x400.jpeg

The Sandcastle House

Price: $43,500,000
Bedrooms: 10
Bathrooms: N/A
Square footage: 31,000

Whenever we get around to designing our own PPOR, on top of some of the items on your own wish list (kitchen/laundry etc in line) being top of my list :) I also want to have a bathroom placed near the pool like a wet room with sliding doors directly into it, so kids can go straight into it...at the mo they waltz through dripping wet no matter how often I get on their backs about it!! And a separate powder room for guests so it can stay clean!

Though if I had acreage I would want a pool house with swim up bar!!

And a BIG laundry, one where I can have a pull down ironing board in a wall recess and lots of shelves and hanging rails....I don't do ironing but I might someday ;) and with 4 girls the amount of washing/folding etc is a nightmare!

Very exciting times for you and hubby, enjoy!

Whenever we get around to designing our own PPOR, on top of some of the items on your own wish list (kitchen/laundry etc in line) being top of my list :) I also want to have a bathroom placed near the pool like a wet room with sliding doors directly into it, so kids can go straight into it...at the mo they waltz through dripping wet no matter how often I get on their backs about it!! And a separate powder room for guests so it can stay clean!

Though if I had acreage I would want a pool house with swim up bar!!

And a BIG laundry, one where I can have a pull down ironing board in a wall recess and lots of shelves and hanging rails....I don't do ironing but I might someday ;) and with 4 girls the amount of washing/folding etc is a nightmare!

Very exciting times for you and hubby, enjoy!

Totally hear you on the bathroom near the pool and powder room. At least with 4 girls you don't have pee all over your toilets like I do!

This might be my dream laundry with a basket for each person underneath the folding table (for Mt Everest washing pile)

796e232ce4c9157a10f440e9ca0533c0.jpg

A PPoR wish List

How about a Maid :D

Pool & Home Gym

Mmm Forget that Spa, put in a Lap Pool

Maid would be nice - I wonder if I can put it into the HIA Home Contract so that builder supplies? On second thoughts this might happen ..........

31qJDSKjkjL.jpg

• heated granite pool with a underwater stereo
  • two-lane bowling alley
  • full bar and disco
  • rock climbing wall
  • full spa facility
  • The "recreation pavilion", features a skateboarder's halfpipe

The Sandcastle House

Price: $43,500,000
Bedrooms: 10
Bathrooms: N/A
Square footage: 31,000

I just realised that what I thought was the house is probably the 'recreation pavillion' lol!

Back