PPOR Wishlists: what do you like/wish for/fantastic ideas etc

Our new PPOR - breaking dirt next week, yahoo! - is going to have a feature I've wanted for a long time: chutes direct from the kitchen to the rubbish and recycling wheely bins outside. No rubbish bin in the kitchen, creating an eyesore or having to be emptied. (I know you can have them in cabinetry, that's what I had last time, but I still prefer not to have bins at all.)

Oodles of power points. They cost next to nothing to install during a build, but most houses don't seem to have nearly enough. They're obviously much more costly to install later.

We're having a built-in dining booth next to the kitchen. Don't know about you, but every time we dine out, if there's a booth, we always want the booth. So we're having one at home, to hopefully add a "little something" to intimate family dinners. e.g.

images

We've having a pavilion-style home, with 3 pavilions arranged around a central covered deck, which all rooms open onto. e.g.

e387ee17d7ef3d6459abb1ed8df91fad.jpg

We're having a two-way main bathroom that's shared by the kids and guests. In order that one person in the bath, shower, or toilet doesn't prevent anybody else from using the space, we've got the toilet in a cubicle, and the bath/shower forming a separate wet room.

140702_bathroom.jpg

Ok adding to list

- gym (DH and I will be pretty far from any gym) and overlooking pool yes!!
- theatre/games room
- guest accommodation is taken care of if we keep the 2 x 1 on the block
- attic

Thankfully we have 10 acres for this grand design and single storey to keep costs down. At this rate the house will be 4-500sqm!!

Pool ideas - a friend has one of those jets at one end for swimming against rather than doing laps. I'd love an infinity edge.

Perp congrats on new house!!!!
I see you've been thinking long and hard on this too.

Love the bin chutes what a friggin awesome idea.

Perp congrats on new house!!!!
I see you've been thinking long and hard on this too.

Love the bin chutes what a friggin awesome idea.
Thank you. Yes, we were flooded in Jan 11 and it took us nearly 3 years to win the fight with our insurer to convince them that the structural damage was caused by the floods. (Thank you, Ombudsman.) Then we've been nearly a year in design stage - argh! but more important to get it right than do it quick - and now we're finally starting.

We hope to be moving back into our new home around the 4th anniversary of the floods. :)

Decent games room / man cave with bar

Home cinema with steps

Attachments

• Man Cave.jpg
    Man Cave.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Home Cinema.jpg
    Home Cinema.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 95
I have a room in my house (games/lounge or theatre I guess). It can be closed off from the rest of the house. It has a large internal window. Great for sleepovers/movie nights/kids parties or people who want to watch TV late at night without disturbing anyone.

My friend has a little secret room off her lounge room. It just looks like a cupboard but it's really an ironIng room. Place to hide ironing board and piles of clean washing.

You mean the Mt Everest of clean washing? I hidey hole would be a good idea.

Does he need a man cave AND a car workshop? His 'little' workshop currently has a beer fridge, toilet, tv and trough!

New workshop needs a 5m ceiling for a hoist. It will be about 100sqm shed with mezzanine too. Plenty of room for a pool table if he wants

BTW that isn't Mr Westminster - I'm just collecting pictures for the wishlist

85685dbc9cc2cfdc8aa7b4158d27ca6d.jpg

Computer networks and such. I'm quite happy flicking lightswitches myself ;)

DH and I work from home so like to be on cat5 and teenage son likes cat5 for faster gaming. Wifi just doesn't cut it in CoD. Wifi for printing and iPads.

A note on cabling. Don't get anything less than Cat 6 or 6e. Cat 5 is on the way out if not already out. Wiring up a home network after the walls are up is a pain and wireless is still not good enough even with the faster speeds now available.

I'd also add a home theatre with a projector and screen if you are into movies.

A note on cabling. Don't get anything less than Cat 6 or 6e. Cat 5 is on the way out if not already out. Wiring up a home network after the walls are up is a pain and wireless is still not good enough even with the faster speeds now available.

I'd also add a home theatre with a projector and screen if you are into movies.

Thanks for the news. Googling now. I'm sooooo old school I used to crimp tool my own Cat5

Myf, I'm very envious, Congratulations again hopefully one day I can be in your position designing our dream home!
For me it would be a poolroom setup that has a GF style (Double bedroom and en suit for when people stay over) with a huge gym overlooking the pool and some man cave stuff..... Don't think i would have a lot of say in the rest of the house!

Have you though about engaging an architect? Just to get that "Flow and feeling" right and get it all drawn up in CAD? I have been to houses that have some amazing features in there own right would be absolutely fantastic but for some reason it feels a bit patchy and doesn't have a consistent style!

I think its a very hard thing to get right, no matter how many nights you lay up thinking about it !

We meet with the designer on Monday. He's worked for a number of high end builders so hopefully we gel on ideas and he can take my doodles, ideas, wishlist and turn it into something amazing.

Now tell me more about this poolroom. Mr Westminster has also mentioned this but he has no clear vision.

I'm guessing it's like a room overlooking the pool which you can lounge in but unlike an alfresco you can close it off from the elements.

Does he need a man cave AND a car workshop? His 'little' workshop currently has a beer fridge, toilet, tv and trough!

New workshop needs a 5m ceiling for a hoist. It will be about 100sqm shed with mezzanine too. Plenty of room for a pool table if he wants

Yes he needs both and the workshop needs to be separate from the garage. Don't wont to have to move the toys out of the workshop even time he pulls out the angle grinder.

Don't forget the full length, full height pit, the gantry beam setup (block and tackle hanging from the ceiling that can be moved around the workshop) and goes without saying 3 phase power. May as well do it properly.

I have a pit in mine & gantry bean setup and both are really handy.

Also don't forget insulation in the workshop, mine is brick and colourbond roof and it is an oven in summer. Was looking at replacing the roof with this stuff.

http://stratco.com.au/products/roofing_walling/types/cooldek/cooldek.asp

-- I spend a lot of time at a desk / computer so a really decent home office setup (for two people) would be an absolute must in my dream home.

-- Since I seem to have many (hundreds of) books, I would also want to either line the office walls with bookcases, or have a separate library/reading room elsewhere. My preference would be to combine the library with the office, though. A separate entrance to outside would be great, too; bonus points for an outdoor courtyard-y area with reading chairs/table for use in good weather.

-- I hate shoes inside (especially with wooden floorboards, another love of mine) so would want an entry area, Japanese-style, with a shoe/coat/etc cupboard (have had it in previous houses and it was fabulous).

-- Powder room is a must.

-- Would want a full granny flat for visiting friends / rellies. At the very least, a separate sitting area off the visitor bedroom, for when either of us need our own space. :)

-- Would love a scullery / butler's pantry

... I know there's more but I can't think of them at the moment....

:eek: trading an older model in?? :D

Nah Mr Westminster's a keeper. Providing he let's me get my way lots with the new house :p

-- I spend a lot of time at a desk / computer so a really decent home office setup (for two people) would be an absolute must in my dream home.

-- Since I seem to have many (hundreds of) books, I would also want to either line the office walls with bookcases, or have a separate library/reading room elsewhere. My preference would be to combine the library with the office, though. A separate entrance to outside would be great, too; bonus points for an outdoor courtyard-y area with reading chairs/table for use in good weather.

-- I hate shoes inside (especially with wooden floorboards, another love of mine) so would want an entry area, Japanese-style, with a shoe/coat/etc cupboard (have had it in previous houses and it was fabulous).

-- Powder room is a must.

-- Would want a full granny flat for visiting friends / rellies. At the very least, a separate sitting area off the visitor bedroom, for when either of us need our own space.

-- Would love a scullery / butler's pantry

... I know there's more but I can't think of them at the moment....

Hobo - we have very similar wants.

I'd like a wall of these in my study/office with french doors onto the verandah

99551dc81813adefb928723b93ab308c.jpg

My no shoes area will be thanks to a whole room like this

78aac40e87c5f43d93c0d4aac5c0443d.jpg

Also personally if it came to cost I would give the car hoist a miss and do a pit plus air conditioning. Reverse cycle not evaporate as rc would blow the dust around less and less wind to affect welding.

In saying that I am not sure if pits are still allowed, heard somewhere that they have been banned.

Also personally if it came to cost I would give the car hoist a miss and do a pit plus air conditioning. Reverse cycle not evaporate as rc would blow the dust around less and less wind to affect welding.

In saying that I am not sure if pits are still allowed, heard somewhere that they have been banned.

I was just going to say that we'd heard they'd been banned too which is why we are going hoist.

Aircon?!?!? I hadn't even considered that. See this is why people's wishlists help.

The hoist still have to meet Aust standards and have safety features.

I think pits are banned because gases can build up and then kaboom.

I have *so* many office/study/desk setup pics saved, it's crazy. Mostly grand places that I am unlikely to ever actually create, but some slightly more realistic ones as well.

(In first one, imagine an office in lower level space):

7881368067607474_w_Dgia0_Cw_c.jpg

105130972520988167_Wh_KIDf_ZA_c.jpg

bookshelves10_Img0010.jpg

Office_01_cwd14.jpg

chf_image02.jpg

As you can see, fairly different in styles, but I like different aspects of them all.

Similar, but not limited too

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...=+hamptons+pool/guest+house&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

I still think these guys http://www.strongbuild.com.au/ really hit the mark... love the kitchens!

Be careful with hoists, you can get some cheap (6-10K) ones from china.... but i have heard horror stories!!

Don't go c-bus lighting, its crap!

Loving the ideas ... I think a lot of it is in the detail which takes years to build/accumulate/weather in

Gotcha I think I understand the pool house now.

I have so many pictures from StrongBuild in my 'love this' folder it's not funny. Thanks so much for pointing them out to me

Back