PPR Extension - What is cheaper (not bang for buck)

I'm looking at extending my existing house.

Its currently a 3 bed + 1 Bath free standing house and it will either become a
- 5 bed + 2 bath (going up)
- 4 bed + 2 bath (going out)

It is an older Victorian house with an extension already.
If I extend up, it will be sitting on top of the existing extension (concrete slab)
If I extend out, it will be an extension of 3m of the existing extension.

My question is, what is cheaper?

I was always under the impression that its cheaper to go out than to go up.

But a colleague at work who's currently extending their house (going up), has said its cheaper to go up than out.

It would be cheaper to go out than up. Think by going out you will have one less room which will be cheaper plus if you go up you have to allow for an internal staircase that get a bit pricey.

4 Bed is sufficient. 5 is not necessary. Hence why i was thinking of going out. But after talking to a colleague i got confused....

They were saying by going up you wouldn't need to do new foundations because the walls were already there.

Whereas going out, you would need new foundations for the extended part and that was where the costs were.

Sounded kinda feasible, but still didn't sound right. I asked him about the builder checking his existing foundation could support the weight and he wasn't sure. Maybe he was basing it on his situation where his land slopes a lot, whereas mine is flat.

With extensions, who would i go to? Draftsman? Architect?

Also, if extending out, is it expensive to remove the existing roof of the extension (currently flat roof) and increase the height from 2.4 to 2.7.

The current gradient of the extension is virtually flat, probably 3 degrees. I could lie down and I wouldn't roll off.

Marg, I would assume so. But that's simply based off that the extension is on a concrete slab and is double brick.

Also, if extending out, is it expensive to remove the existing roof of the extension (currently flat roof) and increase the height from 2.4 to 2.7.

I'd be very interested to know if this is a big job (to raise the height of a ceiling) for Nek's concrete slab ceiling and also a aluminium ceiling.)

I'm looking at extending my existing house.

Its currently a 3 bed + 1 Bath free standing house and it will either become a
- 5 bed + 2 bath (going up)
- 4 bed + 2 bath (going out)

It is an older Victorian house with an extension already.
If I extend up, it will be sitting on top of the existing extension (concrete slab)
If I extend out, it will be an extension of 3m of the existing extension.

My question is, what is cheaper?

I was always under the impression that its cheaper to go out than to go up.

But a colleague at work who's currently extending their house (going up), has said its cheaper to go up than out.

Would depend on a few items,is the property on a slab or above ground?.
on a slab it may be more cost effective to go up depending on the engineering required,if it's above ground then it may be better to go out,but then you have the problem of the fall,box gutters,you can either step it up or down to get the legal heights,plus it's cheaper per sqm's to glass as much as you can rather then frame it all in..imho..

Marg, I would assume so. But that's simply based off that the extension is on a concrete slab and is double brick.

Would highly doubt the tack on extension would have foundations and structural strength to handle a second story.

Go out far cheaper, unless you are trying to lessen the footprint of your house on the back yard.

Back