Prahran or South Yarra to live - any streets to avoid?

Hi,

Moved to Melbourne 18 months ago and been living in Port Melbourne, it's a great area and been pretty happy living here. Been renting up until now and looking at buying something to live in for the next 5 years that can then become an investment property when/if we move back to Adelaide.

Ideally been looking at getting a 3 bedroom townhouse (depending on price) as all the fees etc. that come with owning an apartment don't appeal. Checked out a few here in Port Melbourne but some have come across our radar in Prahran and South Yarra.

Pt Melb seems a bit quieter (even though we live off bay st) but just wanted to know if there are any pockets in those suburbs we should avoid, Chapel st gets pretty rowdy on the weekends so I assume we should avoid being to close to Chapel, any other tips from Prahran insiders?

Also it looks like prices seemed to come off a bit for the higher end inner city, noticed places seem to be on market a bit longer or being passed in at auction...just an observation not sure if it is correct.

Any comments appreciated...

Cheers
OG

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere near the Housing Commission flats off Chapel Street in South Yarra. Where to live in South Yarra? Depends on your budget - the best area is anywhere above Toorak Road. But then you'll have to pay big money for it.

Dont exactly know what your requirements are...but in general, id avoid chapel st, as you correctly pointed out.

Prahran, South Yarra, are good long term plays.

Toorak ( if you can get in) is good.

Inner city suburbs such as southbank are also good plays in my opinion. As you correctly pointed out, those have been discounted and on the market for a while. Vendors are willing to negotiate. Could really get a bargain.

• Forest Hill behind Melbourne High School
  • Darling Gardens area (Domain Road, Darling Street, Caroline Street)
  • Any area behind Como Park or Como House

Thanks for the feedback and the clarification Y-Man ;-)

How about the area between High and Greville?

Southbank seems to have a lot of choice but trying to stay away from apartments, just seems to be new towers/blocks going up lately. With a townhouse on land they can't easily add to the supply in the inner city areas, of course you have to pay for it!

Cheers
OG

Agreed with most people. I hate the bit behind Jam Factory with the housing commission. Also too many cars roam around that area looking for parking everyday between 2pm and 12am, myself included.

I also like the areas off Toorak Rd, but more towards the city end (as far as townhouses go)... ideally between Toorak Rd and Domain Rd and maybe within walking distance to the running tracks of Alexander Ave. The streets there are wider, it's quieter and generally more serene with a few nice cafes and up market shops around. The Anderson St part is obviously nice, but that's more $3m+ houses than townhouses. Failing that anywhere off Toorak Rd between Chapel St and Punt Rd is okay, but the streets are narrow and there's lots of weirdos hanging out at some of the parks and it's actually quite rowdy at times and I don't like bogan 20 year olds getting drunk and yelling at me.

Greville St area is okay - but is a bit hip for me sometimes. However being good to the Prahan Market is somewhat cool - and that spot is less rowdy than the Toorak Rd area.

Re Southbank, I like St Kilda Rd bit across from the fountain next to the Art Center. That's about it. The rest is ugly and remote especially the bit where the BMW dealership is or where IPL's and HWT's HQs are. Not to mention those bridges that cross all over the place is horrendous feng shui...

I used to work near Chapel St back when I lived in Melbourne. Loved the area. Spent a lot of time there.

I also would avoid the housing commission area and behind the Jam Factory.

If you want CHEAPER, you could stretch the area to Windsor maybe? Down south of High Street? If you want even CHEAPER, you could go on Dandenong Road...

I like the Greville Street area, but I wouldn't want to live right near the train station (Prahran). Weirdos there. Loud people. Pubs very close. And clubs.

Just pick any of the side streets really, near Chapel all the way along from north of South Yarra to around High Street...side streets that branch off from other side streets that run parallel to Chapel...

would depend on your lifestyle or investment.
prahan would be better than downtown south yarra -traffic all around on chapel street. Used to live down there at one stage.

southbank yeah - if you know to pick a good bargain (plenty around) still would tops sqm footage over other small places around melbourne for price Vs sqm. 490K for a 33rd storey 2 bedroom 2 bath 98sqm apartment.

For me personally, would avoid places with too much traffic and stay to quieter suburbs like south melbourne, albert park, middle park, east melbourne.Port melbourne - would be much better as in the place you are living right now compare to south yarra.

I think that the best part of South Yarra is the section bounded by Toorak Rd, Punt Rd, Commercial Rd and the Sandringham Rail line.

It is close to all the amenities of Chapel St, Prahran market, Toorak Rd, South Yarra Station and the Botanical Gardens area.

It is also very quiet. Nice streets made up mostly of cute cottages and houses.

Along way from the commission flats near Surrey Rd.

Traffic not bad either. Easy access to Punt Rd, Toorak Rd, Commerical Rd, and Alexandra Ave.

Alexandra Ave is often not that crowded if Toorak Rd is busy.

Cheers again for all the useful info!

Put an offer for a townhouse in South Yarra. In the pocket of Punt, Commercial and Toorak. Probably a bit closer to Punt rd than would of liked but within walking distance to work so pretty happy with the location.

Hopefully it gets accepted.

Back