Pre finished flooring

Hi all, looking at installing some timber flooring at our PPOR.

I want to stay away from engineered or floating floors and want the 'real' stuff.

I learnt yesterday about pre finished timber flooring. In other words ... it's the real stuff however no sanding or finishing required.

Anyone had any experience with laying this type of flooring ?

This company in Sydney looks good ... http://www.countrytimber.com.au/

I've got it at my PPOR. It is prefinished 19mm thick jarrah.

The reason why we bought it was purely price. We wanted real timber but couldn't afford the price to lay, sand and polish the real stuff.

Pros:
- looks good
- real timber, can be later sanded back and polished if needed
- price
- sounds solid, ie no clicking/clacking.

Cons:
- as each piece is prefinished there is a tiny gap between each so you have to be very careful mopping - slightly damp water/metho mix only
- f-cking painful when the dishwasher pipe bursts and it got soaked. It swelled and caused massive issue and we took out 8 boards. True this would be an issue with anywood so keep some spare boards (we did not :mad:)
- the varnish/finish on ours is *****, and scratches soooo easily. We put felt on the bottom of everything and still have major scratches under dining chairs, desk areas etc

Cheers Westminster ... I will think over pros and cons over the weekend.

Agree with you on that clicking/clacking sound ... we have a small room where we installed these engineered floors and noise drives me nuts !

Hi all, looking at installing some timber flooring at our PPOR.

I want to stay away from engineered or floating floors and want the 'real' stuff.

I learnt yesterday about pre finished timber flooring. In other words ... it's the real stuff however no sanding or finishing required.

Anyone had any experience with laying this type of flooring ?

This company in Sydney looks good ... http://www.countrytimber.com.au/

Engineered has its advantages... solid timber needs to be installed on battens on the subfloor which will reduce overall headroom in a 2400 high ceiling. Or where you have an uneven subfloor.

As for the company you linked to... I checked out their products in my timber floor hunting, its rubbish quality and some of the most unprofessional people to deal with.

Engineered has its advantages... solid timber needs to be installed on battens on the subfloor which will reduce overall headroom in a 2400 high ceiling. Or where you have an uneven subfloor.

As for the company you linked to... I checked out their products in my timber floor hunting, its rubbish quality and some of the most unprofessional people to deal with.

Our solid is glued and nailed to the concrete, so it's very quiet and didn't reduce the height.

float allows for more floor imperfections

just spent 10s of hours removing a poorly glued floor which wasnt properly leveled.

many high quality engineered products have a square join on the short side of the board,which looks great and makes for a near waterproof floor, BUT needs to have the floors leveled with a leveller unless the floor is unusually well finished to start with

ta

rolf

Back