Pre Paid Mobile Phone ? My SIM Card ?

My mobile died and I dont want to have to enter into a new 24 month $20 plan contract cos it will cost me $270 for the brand new contract and new phone. So I'm thinking of buying a pre paid mobile phone.

Does anyone here know if you can pull out the sim card provided for you in the new pre paid phone and then insert your own sim card? I'd be happy to be able to pick one up for around $60 or $70. Will it recognise my own phone number and sim card.

thanks

Yes Kim, but you need to make sure that the prepaid phone you buy either isn't locked to a network or that the one you buy is the same network as yours.

i.e. if you have a Telstra plan, buy a Telstra prepaid phone OR another phone that isn't locked to say Optus or whatever.

Does that make sense?

Yes Kim, but you need to make sure that the prepaid phone you buy either isn't locked to a network or that the one you buy is the same network as yours.

i.e. if you have a Telstra plan, buy a Telstra prepaid phone OR another phone that isn't locked to say Optus or whatever.

Does that make sense?

Ok, yep thanks

I was thinking about just nipping down to the local australia post shop during my lunch break.

Anyway gotta go, rafters is on

seeya

:)

If you're out of contract you could just port your number to any network, although just buying a pre-paid of the same carrier.

You will have to setup a new pre-paid account though if you want to go on pre-paid. Otherwise your contract will probably just continue.

My mobile phone was stolen recently.

As I am with Vodafone, I simply went to the vodafone shop and bought a basic mobile - a Nokia for $79. This included a new SIM card with my number on it.

I don't have a contract, never have. I simply have a "pay as you go" where if I don't use it for months I don't pay anything.

Kim, go to your phone carrier's shop and ask them to buy a mobile phone - they will have heaps of different models.
Marg

Does anyone here know if you can pull out the sim card provided for you in the new pre paid phone and then insert your own sim card? I'd be happy to be able to pick one up for around $60 or $70. Will it recognise my own phone number and sim card.

thanks

As already indicated as long as the new phone is on the same network as your SIM or the new phone is not locked to a different network then you will have no problems using your SIM in a new phone.

We have done this for years as generally our phones have only lasted from as short as 6 months through to 5 years (my wife's). I would think that over the years we have used about 10 different phones. Mind you we don't use the latest and greatest model:eek::D

Cheers

Back