Pre-purchase property inspections

I've been told a few stories over the past couple of days of people that have paid good money for pre-purchase inspections to be done with some companies not even bothering to turn up & others doing such a rushed job they failed to even notice that the basic utilities were not connected. Are there any reputable pre-purchase inspections/pest inspection mobs out there or am I playing Russian roulette here? (located in Melbourne). What does the average pre-purchase inspection cost & how thorough should they be?

PS: can't do a search for "inspections" or anything similar due to too many listings...

I've been told a few stories over the past couple of days of people that have paid good money for pre-purchase inspections to be done with some companies not even bothering to turn up & others doing such a rushed job they failed to even notice that the basic utilities were not connected. Are there any reputable pre-purchase inspections/pest inspection mobs out there or am I playing Russian roulette here? (located in Melbourne). What does the average pre-purchase inspection cost & how thorough should they be?

PS: can't do a search for "inspections" or anything similar due to too many listings...

During these pre purchase inspections, I find it paramount in being there at the inspection. Even if you need to hop on a plane and travel to the location. It is a small price to pay for something that you are prepared to pay alot of money for.

I gain so much from walking around the inspection with these guys.... Alot of the info doesn't get recorded on the report, as some of my questions are general and also delve into other areas.

You will see that when you get a report back that they don't give too much away, and generally the companies indemnify themselves with regards to the observations undertaken.

For example........ I went to a duplex pre purchase inspection and ran through with both the building and pest guys and after an hour, they advised me on a couple of things of what to rectify, and what to look out for.....so all good. Once the report came, it read quite differently, and I was worried that the house was going to fall down. After calling them and discussing it with the actual inspectors, they advised me that it had to be written that way (wrt legislation and indemnificatioin)..... I see this happening in alot for 'advice giving' companies.

Also, you will find that the pre purchase inspections don't require inspectors to comment / or inspect on electrical and plumbing items. Most inspectors are builders, and can only provide advice on the dwellings structural integrity, and of course the pest guys on pest and termites.

Depending on who you get, you may get an inspector who flicks a switch every now and again, but if you want to be certain, a sparkie should be organised to run through and check any concerns with circuit testing and fuse box issues.

F

During these pre purchase inspections, I find it paramount in being there at the inspection. Even if you need to hop on a plane and travel to the location. It is a small price to pay for something that you are prepared to pay alot of money for.

I gain so much from walking around the inspection with these guys.... Alot of the info doesn't get recorded on the report, as some of my questions are general and also delve into other areas.

You will see that when you get a report back that they don't give too much away, and generally the companies indemnify themselves with regards to the observations undertaken.

For example........ I went to a duplex pre purchase inspection and ran through with both the building and pest guys and after an hour, they advised me on a couple of things of what to rectify, and what to look out for.....so all good. Once the report came, it read quite differently, and I was worried that the house was going to fall down. After calling them and discussing it with the actual inspectors, they advised me that it had to be written that way (wrt legislation and indemnificatioin)..... I see this happening in alot for 'advice giving' companies.

Also, you will find that the pre purchase inspections don't require inspectors to comment / or inspect on electrical and plumbing items. Most inspectors are builders, and can only provide advice on the dwellings structural integrity, and of course the pest guys on pest and termites.

Depending on who you get, you may get an inspector who flicks a switch every now and again, but if you want to be certain, a sparkie should be organised to run through and check any concerns with circuit testing and fuse box issues.

F

Our last inspection, the guy actually had a powerpoint tester and tested every powerpoint in the house. Thought that was pretty cool. And agree with being there - so much easier to talk through things, get opinions on important of certain issues, even advice on repairs!

Our last property we purchased unseen, and didn't end up going to the inspection. Wasn't a problem, but I realised how much info I missed out on by not being there.

Good explanation and advice.

I agree be present at the inspection. This also helps if they pick up an issue they can give you a quick estimate of the cost to fix it.

If you are truly finding it difficult to find a referral from someone you trust then check out Archicentre. Their prices have come down a lot and are comparable now. PLUS they also offer a guarantee on their inspection and a $50,000 12 month guarantee. I have had heaps of inspections done and never seen a guarantee like that before - and believe me it would of been nice.

Hope this helps
Jane Slack-Smith

F

Excellent post Fudge......

It might be a good idea to put a checklist up on my site for those who might be interested in seeing what is inspected..

Back