Preferred dwelling type

Dwelling choice - what is yours?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ideo, please. These "cars" you do up. Golfs, MX5's etc. lol :D

I reckon the Golf could take 95% of cars on.

12.4s quarter mile. Good fuel efficiency. Comfortable.

The MX5 was slow, and I'm about to sell it, but I built it up to get more practice at tarmac/circuit racing and hillclimbs. Much better to have something you can learn with, rather than cheating and just getting an EVO straight off the shelf which does everything for you.

So just ignoring the fact that I managed to do something you said was impossible then?

Oh - also managed to do fit an upgraded intercooler, intake and catch can on my Golf.

Didn't do the dump pipe - that goes in the pay people to do it for me even when I have the room category.

Lies. :)

Do you have 3+ cars, or do restorations? A lot of the car related hobbies can be quite spatially intensive - this is what I'm getting at.

What was absolutist about this?

Sorry that car enthusiasts are relegated to dropping out springs, or putting some tape around their wires of small-med cars. ;)

BTW, I'm still waiting for the explanation of what 2/3's of Australians are meant to do with their pets, if we *should* move to apartment living. Particularly when of the remaining 1/3, research has shown that half of those people want a pet in the future too?

No BBQ's, no childhood pet dog, pool parties, trampolines for the kids - because we need to pack ourselves like sardines in a country with 2.9 people per square km.

The same thing that every inhabitant of apartments with pets throughout Europe does? It's not as if Australia is somehow unique in having people owning pets.

More details of the cars - for interests sake.

I don't have the skills nor time to do restorations. Maybe eventually. But there is no need to be condescending about the cars I work on and enjoy.

Besides - I used to get around with a group of car enthusiasts in the UK. A lot of them only had one off street parking place or on-street parking only. Lockups and were cheap and readily available which is what they used for doing full on restorations and rebuilds. Including re-shelling TVRs.

The same thing that every inhabitant of apartments with pets throughout Europe does? It's not as if Australia is somehow unique in having people owning pets.

And unsurprisingly in Europe only 23% of households have a pet, compared to 63% in Australia. Bit hard having a Collie x Kelpie, or any reasonable size dog in an apartment - let alone the ethical considerations. Cats and the like can obviously be accommodated much easier.

As I said earlier, if we have the space available to provide full suburban living, why should people live in medium/high density?

And if the concern is based upon inner suburb living and 'sprawl', satellite CBD's cope with this concern just fine without resorting to a subpar living standard for a large amount of lifestyles.

But the new land release areas are not full suburban living. They are large houses crammed on to tiny blocks of land.

I live on 180sqm of land - moved from an apartment to a semi. I have more private outdoor space than most new land release areas in Western Sydney. A much smaller front setback, but no one uses that area of land.

It is not the size of the land that is the issue. It is how inefficient that land is used, and most of that is down to Australia having the largest new builds in the world. Cram it in, 900mm from the side boundary, 3m from the rear fence, chuck in another story, there's only 3 of us, but we "need" a theatre, a games room, a formal and informal living area and dining area and 5 bedrooms - and then we will complain about how much energy costs.

But the new land release areas are not full suburban living. They are large houses crammed on to tiny blocks of land.

I live on 180sqm of land - moved from an apartment to a semi. I have more private outdoor space than most new land release areas in Western Sydney. A much smaller front setback, but no one uses that area of land.

It is not the size of the land that is the issue. It is how inefficient that land is used, and most of that is down to Australia having the largest new builds in the world. Cram it in, 900mm from the side boundary, 3m from the rear fence, chuck in another story, there's only 3 of us, but we "need" a theatre, a games room, a formal and informal living area and dining area and 5 bedrooms - and then we will complain about how much energy costs.

Which is more of a discussion regarding councils regs allowing tiny subdivisions to be put in place. 300sqm blocks (and much less) out in the sticks is impractical, focused on $$$ squeezing than planning or functionality.

If people want to build Mc Mansions, I don't have an issue with this as I don't have to live there. :) My concern is when people blindly state that Australians need to change to live within a certain type of housing style, without thinking of the impact that a household type can play upon so many factors of ones life. I do doubt in a lot of cases that sufficient study is being put in place for some developments - the ones that I have seen in any case.

Back to the thread at hand, my preference comes due to the versatility of character homes and their relatively larger blocks of land. They can provide sufficient space for family and friends for entertaining, privacy and space for multiple age groups and plenty of room for hobbies and recreational activities.

With the option of an apartment next to the CBD or an outer suburb larger block, I'd choose the larger block every time. :)

Ours is currently a 900 sqm block with house, pool and garden and 15-25mins from CBD. It is currently not ideal for us though as we need more garage space (cough car nuts cough).

Garaging is encroaching on our lifestyle and we'd like more trees and lawn for the mini-mes

But it can't be too far from their school or the CBD so I can get to work.

I think 2.5-5 acres would give us what we want and still be close enough - considering Swan Valley way at the moment.

PS for the car nuts the collection is
1. '90 Subaru Legacy - fastest 1/4 mile in Australia and clocked at 269 kph at RaceWars WA 2013
2. GT Subaru - another fanger
3. HJ Landcruiser - another huge fanger - did have a Camaro engine, as of last week a LS2
4. SLR5000 Torana - new toy
5. '62 Karmann Ghia - my new toy arrived this week
6. Mazda CX-9 - the only car everyone fits in :)

Last edited:
What was absolutist about this?

Sorry that car enthusiasts are relegated to dropping out springs, or putting some tape around their wires of small-med cars. ;)

BTW, I'm still waiting for the explanation of what 2/3's of Australians are meant to do with their pets, if we *should* move to apartment living. Particularly when of the remaining 1/3, research has shown that half of those people want a pet in the future too?

No BBQ's, no childhood pet dog, pool parties, trampolines for the kids - because we need to pack ourselves like sardines in a country with 2.9 people per square km.
The apartment complex we lived in in L.A (a very nice one too) allowed pets. No probs while we were there.

I think the culture will change as the dwelling type changes.

The apartment complex we lived in in L.A (a very nice one too) allowed pets. No probs while we were there.

I think the culture will change as the dwelling type changes.

In Ontario, Canada pets are permitted unless the landlord can prove there is a good reason why they shouldn't be there.
Landlords don't have the option of saying no.

As I said earlier, if we have the space available to provide full suburban living, why should people live in medium/high density?

I don't have the will to type another long post so I'll let Wikipedia do the talking :p

Health and environmental impact[edit]Urban sprawl is associated with a number of negative environmental and public health outcomes, with the primary result being increased dependence on automobiles.

Increased pollution and reliance on fossil fuel[edit]In the years following World War II, when vehicle ownership was becoming widespread, public health officials recommended the health benefits of suburbs due to soot and industrial fumes in the city center. However, air in modern suburbs is not necessarily cleaner than air in urban neighborhoods.[37] In fact, the most polluted air is on crowded highways, where people in suburbs tend to spend more time. On average, suburban residents generate more per capita pollution and carbon emissions than their urban counterparts because of their increased driving.[2][38]

Increase in traffic and traffic-related fatalities[edit]A heavy reliance on automobiles increases traffic throughout the city as well as automobile crashes, pedestrian injuries, and air pollution.[40] Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for Americans between the ages of five and twenty-four and is the leading accident-related cause for all age groups.[41] Residents of more sprawling areas are at greater risk of dying in a car crash.[42]

Delays in emergency medical services response and fire department response times[edit]Research covered in the Journal of Economic Issues and State and Local Government Review shows a link between sprawl and emergency medical services response and fire department response delays.[43][44][45]

Increased obesity[edit]The American Journal of Public Health and the American Journal of Health Promotion, have both stated that there is a significant connection between sprawl, obesity, and hypertension.[46] Many urbanists argue that this is due to less walking in sprawl-type developments. Living in a car centered culture forces inhabitants to drive everywhere, thus walking far less than their urban (and generally healthier) counterparts.[47]

Decrease in social capital[edit]Urban sprawl may be partly responsible for the decline in social capital in the United States. Compact neighborhoods can foster casual social interactions among neighbors, while sprawl creates barriers. Sprawl tends to replace public spaces with private spaces such as fenced-in backyards.[4]

Decrease in land and water quantity and quality[edit]See also: Urban runoff
Due to the larger area consumed by sprawling suburbs compared to urban neighborhoods, more farmland and wildlife habitats are displaced per resident. As forest cover is cleared and covered with impervious surfaces (concrete and asphalt) in the suburbs, rainfall is less effectively absorbed into the ground water aquifers.[2] This threatens both the quality and quantity of water supplies. Sprawl increases water pollution as rain water picks up gasoline, motor oil, heavy metals, and other pollutants in runoff from parking lots and roads. Sprawl fragments the land, which increases the risk of invasive species spreading into the remaining forest.

Increased infrastructure costs[edit]Living in larger, more spread out spaces generally makes public services more expensive. Since car usage becomes endemic and public transport often becomes significantly more expensive, city planners are forced to build highway and parking infrastructure, which in turn decreases taxable land and revenue, and decreases the desirability of the area adjacent to such structures. Providing services such as water, sewers, and electricity is also more expensive per household in less dense areas.[48]

Increased personal transportation costs[edit]Residents of low-density areas spend a higher proportion of their income on transportation than residents of high density areas.[49] The RAC estimates that the average cost of operating a car in the UK is ?5,000 a year, most of which stems from financing costs and depreciation.[50] In comparison, a yearly underground ticket for a suburban commuter in London (where the average wage is higher than the national average[51]) costs ?1,000-1,500.

Neighborhood quality[edit]Critics of sprawl maintain that sprawl erodes quality of life. Duany and Plater-Zyberk believe that in traditional neighborhoods the nearness of the workplace to retail and restaurant space that provides cafes and convenience stores with daytime customers is an essential component to the successful balance of urban life. Furthermore, they state that the closeness of the workplace to homes also gives people the option of walking or riding a bicycle to work or school and that without this kind of interaction between the different components of life the urban pattern quickly falls apart. (Duany Plater-Zyberk 6, 28). James Howard Kunstler has argued that poor aesthetics in suburban environments make them "places not worth caring about", and that they lack a sense of history and identity.

Groups that oppose sprawl[edit]The American Institute of Architects and the American Planning Association recommend against sprawl and instead endorses smart, mixed-use development, including buildings in close proximity to one another that cut down on automobile use, save energy, and promote walkable, healthy, well-designed neighborhoods.[57] The Sierra Club, the San Francisco Bay Area's Greenbelt Alliance, 1000 Friends of Oregon and counterpart organizations nationwide, and other environmental organizations oppose sprawl and support investment in existing communities.[58][59]

In Ontario, Canada pets are permitted unless the landlord can prove there is a good reason why they shouldn't be there.
Landlords don't have the option of saying no.
It was a hoot at our joint; an endless process of pretentious young would-be stars, and their "handbag dogs". The view was excellent though ;) One was Heid Montag from "The Hills" fame... a very nice girl as well as stunning.

Why she had "work" done on herself is beyond me....flawless, she was.

A few larger dogs in the complex too, though, and of course; cats and birds....

We had a goldfish called "Max" (Maxwell Smart).

The advantage of apartments is location and views, the same thing costs many multiples more if you want the luxury of a house. I?ve lived in apartments in 5 countries over the last 20 years, friends with houses invariably live a long way out of town. I prefer the convenience and views (you can get good altitude with an apartment) to a house in the sticks. Also didn?t need to own a car for 17 years (have one now though).

The advantage of apartments is location and views, the same thing costs many multiples more if you want the luxury of a house. I?ve lived in apartments in 5 countries over the last 20 years, friends with houses invariably live a long way out of town. I prefer the convenience and views (you can get good altitude with an apartment) to a house in the sticks. Also didn?t need to own a car for 17 years (have one now though).
A house doesn't need to be in the sticks to get all of the above, but it will be more expensive for sure.

Location and views are subjective. (I still might move to that villa up on the cliffs in Greece if this bloody Melb weather doesn't improve :D)

There is also a downside to apartments due to neighbors' proximity to you in terms of noise etc,

If money is little/no hurdle, and you could get a house with no/distant neighbors, but with great views and good location to amenities, would you still choose an apartment?

Edit: Ok; no answer, so I will - you wouldn't.

Last edited:
Noise is relative ... I live on 27 acres - surrounded by 100 acre properties - and could still hear some doof doof in the distance while trying to get to sleep last night.

What needs to happen is units should be built properly soundproofed rather than cheaply flung together.

Maybe they think these buyers don't cook at home.
Seems many people don't.

My tower (Melbourne Docklands) is about 500 units. Gas to cooktops isn't individually metered but charged to the OC. Total cost is about $4000 a year, or $8 each = not many people cooking!

And how do you know that people aren't cooking because the kitchens are not conducive to cooking rather than the apartments being intentionally made that way because no one that lives in an apartment cooks? I'd wager on the latter.

Noise is relative ... I live on 27 acres - surrounded by 100 acre properties - and could still hear some doof doof in the distance while trying to get to sleep last night.

Our block is a tiny 350sqm suburban block and I was woken up by cows :)

It's funny I see this thread now.

I went for a drive into the suburbs this afternoon and thought I'd entered into a third world country.. It reminded me just how nice we have it a little further out with a few acres, We'd never move in again unless something drastic happened. To me smaller houses are where people live who either don't know what they're missing or want to live closer to work and or sniff corks with the Jones'

It was horrible for me! But everyone's different too I spose

@investor2009

Everyone is different I suppose. I came from a very densely populated city, house without garden and an apartment is not a big issue.

Some friends live in a MacMansion sized house. I will hate that size if it's only me and my partner, or even a small family. Prefer smaller house with decent sized garden (or acres of land I don't need to maintain). Unfortunately currently proximity to work is important. So, yeah. Hopefully can get there though investing :rolleyes:

Back