Price estimate for an upper storey extension

Hi
I have been giving a rough price estimate of:
$1000/square meter to build a second storey (Newcastle)- cladded to match the existing house; and I assume all trimmings will be of basic standard.
on top of this, we need:
$8000 for an ensuite
$3000 for staircase
$5000 for plan and approval

I understand the fees are standard and non-negotiable; the ensuite will be too.

Is $1000/square meter a fair price?
MKP

No its not enough, $1500/m2 would be average for standard construction, plus all the other bits that can pump the price up to 2000.

I'll never forget one addition that i did and it worked out to be $2000/m2 and i hardly made any money on it.

Im a builder and have done many of these in NSW.

Hmm, does it mean the lower price estimate is to get the business and add later?
I will wait for further news about inclusions and exclusions; at this stage is only a rough extimate with basic materials (pine staircase; cladded wall).

MK

No its not enough, $1500/m2 would be average for standard construction, plus all the other bits that can pump the price up to 2000.

I'll never forget one addition that i did and it worked out to be $2000/m2 and i hardly made any money on it.

Hi Veseli,
You are right; the price estimate was given excludes floor covering, painting drains to the wet bar and GST.
By the time I added the cost to the above the price becomes very close to your $1500/m2.

The quotation allows $3000 for staircase, made of pine or board. Will this be sufficient or will I need to top up even if I stay with the above material?
Thanks

have a look at one of the quantity surveyor websites as they will give budget rates for construction work.

a pine board staircase will require carpet & paint. can you justify going to timber if you are going to cover it?

Extensions are more than double the cost for new construction then add the degree of difficulty ie materials handling for upstairs, temporary waterproofing etc.

Back