Price guide above xxx,000

I have noticed in Sydney some agents have the above commentary when marketing price. Is this equivalent to the Melb practice of saying xxx,000 plus? With the plus supposedly being 10%.

Or is this used in practice so differently between agents that it's pointless to assume.

Given its the first real time I am looking at Syd property, I am yet to understand different agents practices as I am used to Melbournes.

Sydney agents commonly use above, over, from or plus in their listing but generally refer to the same thing, though I have not come across an agent saying 'hoping to get 10% more than asking'..

It is not uncommon for Agent to give you some indicator over the phone where vendor sweet spots are or hoping to get . eg, listing is "above $1.2m", vendor might indicate to you vendor would consider offers only in $1.4m etc.

I also find Sydney agent will disclose the purchase price even its under 5 day cooling period, but in Brisbane I haven't come across one that will disclose until its settled. Not sure about Melb..

I also find Sydney agent will disclose the purchase price even its under 5 day cooling period, but in Brisbane I haven't come across one that will disclose until its settled. Not sure about Melb..

Generally I've found Brisbane agents will disclose the selling price once the contract goes unconditional.

I just sent an email to an agent in Brisbane about the old family house being resold and what price it got. Didn't know the agent and he told me the sale price $500,000 and even went through further detail saying there was an issue with the retaining wall that came out which reduce the price and the original offer was higher (I didn't ask but assume 5-10k more).

Melbourne I think are fine, end of the day I think it is an individual case not a general thing.

Back