"Princess" tenant and her needs and wants

never realised the extent of how picky/generally just a pain in the **** people could be.

Cheers
Greg

Nah! Just tell 'em they rented it "as is" and if they want improvements your are happy to do them, but then the rental will have to be higher.:D This stops them most times.:cool:

I've always known of the problems of bad tenants, trashing the place, damaging things etc
The ones here before we bought it smashed the glass out of the lounge window so their (large) dogs could come and go at will, ripped the oven out of the wall leaving dangling live wires, burnt a hole in the kitchen floor, left 10 truckloads of rubbish, didn't pay rent, and got an order to improve slapped on the property AFTER they trashed it.

When we bought the place the bank had removed all the rubbish and the doggysmelly carpets (apparently it stank so bad you couldn't just walk in without gagging) and replaced the glass on the window. By the time we got it it didn't smell of anything, thankfully.

Makes requests about possums and taller hedges look tame.

Doors fell off hinges, things broke, some things (like no fly screens) weren't ideal, yet I didn't ask for a single thing. Anything that broke, I fixed, anything that wasn't ideal I tolerated. I almost feel foolish! :)

i was the same when i rented 10 years ago. having always owned before that, and not yet been a landlord, i thought that if the security door fell off i had to fix it - so i did.

She has probably watched one of those exposes about evil landlords making people live in substandard houses and is feeling persecuted....poor baby!:rolleyes: I have one too....drive you nuts.

We arent exactly possum lovers in this household. Just as well. There was a recent thunderstorm and we thought it blacked our house out and the neighbours, but only those two houses. Our power came back on, but not our neighbours. In fact, all her electrical items blew out - fridge, TV and the like. Anyway, the next day the neighbour called the electric authority as she still had no power. They didnt arrive until I got home and was standing near the power light with their truck when a very dead and stiff possum fell right next to me. Kind of Monty Pythonesque. It bounced a couple of times (it was very stiff). Seems it had chewed through the power line, electrocuted itself and totally wrecked the neighbours power.

As expected...... we had a few hot days and the tenant has asked for air-con in the very hot room she chose as her office. She particularly asked that the room be air-conditioned but that she didn't wish to pay any more rent :D.

Mum suggested she buy a portable air-con and take it with her when she leaves :p.

As expected...... we had a few hot days and the tenant has asked for air-con in the very hot room she chose as her office. She particularly asked that the room be air-conditioned but that she didn't wish to pay any more rent :D.
Aww, you big meanie.......why don't you put ducted in for her? We all know that landlords are rich.:rolleyes:

Geeze makes me realise what a good tenant I was when I rented for 18 months before buying the current PPOR. I used to pay an extra $10 per week to cover when the water rates came in and the PM rang me up after 6 months and requested I only pay the nominated rent cause I was "causing her accounting package to go haywire" because I was paying extra.

Also gave the LL access whenever he wanted after I spotted termites starting to extend their nest out of the wall above our bed one morning. I e-mailed the PM to tell her the house had termites and phone rang immediatly. LL was nearly wetting himself with excitement at the thought of termites as he had just done a TAFE course on DIY termite treatment and could practice nuking the little buggers.

Hubbie wasn't happy about the treatment though as our baby was only 9 months old at the time. Went shopping for a PPOR shortly after.

I have been told that possums are not likely to chew wiring. Rats, on the other hand, are much more of a problem. We also have rats in our ceiling. It is a real menagerie up there :p. We have had rats chew through a wire already in our ceiling, so we know they are a danger regarding fires.

About a fortnight ago, we had our pest chap put baits in the ceiling for the rats in little boxes that he says the possums cannot get into. We don't want to harm the possums.

I would be interested to know whether possums do, in fact, bother chewing wiring. He said not likely, but I am curious to hear the opinions of anyone who has experience in this regard.

I am not keen to ban the possums but, of course, the safety of our family must come first. It is just that as far as I know possums are not likely to chew wiring.
Wylie,
In my capacity as a professional possum remover, I have seen occasions where possums have chewed through wires and data cables but it's usually only when the wires are in their way and obstruct their path to where they're trying to go. As a general rule though they don't seek out wires just to have a chew. Your pest guy was right, that is more the habit of rats.
I my experience the only thing that keeps possums out of your roof 100% of the time is to find the hole and block it up properly.
www.mrpossum.com

Back