Privacy breach? - election campaign

Does anyone know who I contact re: a possible breach of privacy by a Federal politician campaigning for his party's position in the Qld election?

ECQ website has no info on how to make a complaint.

Fed pollie has sent us a letter that can not have come from the ECQ voter details. Looks to us like he has accessed a federal database which has only my husband's name but recognises that a wife is in the picture.

Additionally the Fed database must be a fairly restricted one, ie not everyone has an entry like ATO would.

Anyone?

Registered political parties are excluded from the definition of an organisation and so are not subject to the private sector provisions. The Privacy Act defines a registered political party as one that is registered under Part XI of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918. The acts and practices of political representatives are also not subject to the Privacy Act.....

Read more at: http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/priv...exemptions-from-the-private-sector-provisions

This information didn't come from the voter roll, that was in my post. This info can only have come from a dataset that is limited and should be private.

We can only think of one source it could have come from and a Fed senator should not be accessing it for purposes of campaigning for his party in a State election.

We can only think of one source it could have come from and a Fed senator should not be accessing it for purposes of campaigning for his party in a State election.

Doesn't matter, it's not against the law as politicians specifically exempted themselves from the legislation.

Just do what everyone else does; screw it up and chuck it in the bin.

I still want to know how a Federal senator got access to a super fund's membership details.
Not about the politics and yes we dump the rest of them. But when it comes to an address that can only have come from a super fund, we want to know more.

No Marg, it's the current address alright.

It's the way I am named that rang alarms bells. A name generated as a computer field. Only one place he could have got that - not from Qld, and an income stream my husband has had for 3 decades. All above board, but private information.

What we want to know is how a (C'th) senator accessed this particular small select database. And is using it for (State) electioneering which is NOT a secondary use under the Privacy Act.

We have ref'ed it to the AOIC.

I still want to know how a Federal senator got access to a super fund's membership details.
Not about the politics and yes we dump the rest of them. But when it comes to an address that can only have come from a super fund, we want to know more.

Then ring the Senator's office.

Actually Marg you're right. It's my husband's *old* address, he's had it for 30 years, but this is a recent marriage and it's a *new* address for me.

Senator's office not answering the question.

At this stage we want to find out where they got the info. We keep putting our names on the "do not call" regs which politicians are exempt from, but this is a bit more serious than that. If we can get confirmation as to who provided it to him, we will look at options.

I am a bit confused. Are you saying you don't exist in a legal sense in any way that they could address a letter to you? You aren't registered to vote, don't pay tax, have a medicare card? Do you receive any mail in your own name? Are you in witness protection? :cool:
You haven't had any of your mail redirected, seeing it's a "new" address for you?

Is it a Labor senator and an Industry Super fund? Isn't the first time the union trustees of an industry fund have done that.

The AEC has confirmed that the mailing details definitely did NOT come from them. They are asking the ECQ to investigate further.

I did get a long winded explanation from the Senator's office as to how the 'mix up' occurred but it involved several unrelated events, each of which was a long shot, so astronomically remote chance

Liberal Senator and a C'th govt super fund.

joanmc it's a new address for me, as in only several years old. Decades old for my husband, as per Marg's suggestion of an outdated database.

Thanks for the link Terry-w, yes that will be our next step. Now we have confirmation from the AEC that it didn't come from them.

Hi Tigger. I just wanted to say I support you in this, I too would be very concerned and angry if this same thing happened to me. The rate at which our privacy is being eroded is shocking.

Please keep us posted and good luck.

Back