Pro-painter - Painting 101 Help?

I'm planning to do DIY painting to save some reno cost. Any SS pro-painter here can give tips on how to start?

I have never paint before (apart from as a kid helping mum paint directly onto the wall). So can I confirm that the process goes like this for interior wall?
1. Sand the wall (do I need to wash it with sugar soap first?)
2. Primer/ Undercoat
3. Top Coat

How about exterior wall? What kind of paint do I need to use? What kind of brushes? :confused:

The list of items to buy below, anything I missed?
Painting-Supplies.png

You usually only need the undercoat/primers if you're painting onto a raw surface, not if you're putting a new coat onto an existing surface. In most cases a light sand or a wash with sugar soap will do (depends on the surface and existing paint).

Add masking tape to the list to tape around the edges of fixtures and fittings. A drop sheet or two (the $2 plastic ones are fine) to ensure the you don't splatter the surface below where you're painting.

I'll also add, once sanded begin painting from the top down, meaning the roof first then the walls followed by the t trims (if you have any). I like to use water based paint for all painting but prefer oil based for trims & doors as they don't chip as easy.

You usually only need the undercoat/primers if you're painting onto a raw surface, not if you're putting a new coat onto an existing surface. In most cases a light sand or a wash with sugar soap will do (depends on the surface and existing paint).

Add masking tape to the list to tape around the edges of fixtures and fittings. A drop sheet or two (the $2 plastic ones are fine) to ensure the you don't splatter the surface below where you're painting.

It will be a place with existing paint, so sand it and paint top coat directly?
I'm planning to rip the carpet off and change flooring (but that's another post), do I still need plastic?

Masking taps is no issue, can get a really good deal (know a supplier) with blue painting masking tape.
As for paint product, Wash & Wear (normal type) or Wash & Wear Plus?

I'll also add, once sanded begin painting from the top down, meaning the roof first then the walls followed by the t trims (if you have any). I like to use water based paint for all painting but prefer oil based for trims & doors as they don't chip as easy.

Cool, ok will do :)

It will be a place with existing paint, so sand it and paint top coat directly?
I'm planning to rip the carpet off and change flooring (but that's another post), do I still need

if you doing flooring straight after painting may as well get rip it out now, access everything easily and drop sheet as mentioned- painting skirts with the carpet in is a PITA. Check your walls current finish is ok to paint over by scoring crosshatch with blade, masking tape over top and see if it lifts, if so you need to prep and prime before painting over.

Doing all this now myself, have fun!

if you doing flooring straight after painting may as well get rip it out now, access everything easily and drop sheet as mentioned- painting skirts with the carpet in is a PITA. Check your walls current finish is ok to paint over by scoring crosshatch with blade, masking tape over top and see if it lifts, if so you need to prep and prime before painting over.

Like this? http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets...resampled/ResizedImage273290-11-Comparing.jpg

Doing all this now myself, have fun!
I'm actually quite excited hahaha...might not be so once I started :p

When in doubt, YouTube!!
http://youtu.be/vGxmPNPKj5M

If you're painting the ceiling, I'd recommend getting a one coat paint because I found that to be the most back breaking area to paint (2.8m ceiling). Doing some back stretches before hand might be handy if you're not an active person. I became stiff like an old man after I was done. One coat paints are thick and harder to apply but it beats painting the ceiling with two/three coats especially if its a large area.

Get some eyewear to protect your eyes from paint splattering. Bunnings also has disposal overalls that are cheap and useful to protect your clothes. Oh and gloves too.

Painting is easy but the preparation before painting can be very time consuming, especially if you're a perfectionist like me.

Before painting, fill out cracks and gaps. I used a sand block for uneven areas, didn't need the sand paper. Didn't need sugar soap either but that depends on the condition of the walls. Didn't need primer either and was able to get cream walls to white with just two coats of Dulux wash and wear.

Painting the exterior was the same (used weathershield paints) but I have no experience with painting the roof. I'd say if you're going to do that, turn off the mains before climbing up there.

There are test patches to check if the existing paint is oil based or water based. You'll need to buy your paint accordingly to paint over.

I used one angled brush for corners and skirtings and of course cutting in, and about 4 rollers. 3 came in a pack with the tray and the fourth one was a little more expensive but was of good quality. In the end, that high quality roller was what I used mostly.

Send us some before and after pics :)

Go for it-painting is actually pretty forgiving Reno project, you'll be right. Your spreadsheet looks to have some pretty cheapie bunnings roller sleeves etc, if I'm stuck using these I wrap the sleeve in masking tape and then peel off tape prior to use- pulls all the little loose fibres off rather than let them gunk up your wall.

Go for it-painting is actually pretty forgiving Reno project, you'll be right. Your spreadsheet looks to have some pretty cheapie bunnings roller sleeves etc, if I'm stuck using these I wrap the sleeve in masking tape and then peel off tape prior to use- pulls all the little loose fibres off rather than let them gunk up your wall.

Thank you Techie and Fritto

I'm hoping to get access within 2-3 weeks (problem tenants). The plan is hubby and I will be doing it over the weekend, he'll drive and I'll do most prep (hopefully) before he come help for final paint. I'm no perfectionist, but he is, so nothing start until he's happy :rolleyes:
Will post pic when this is done :)

Re roller sleeves, there are better quality ones? Brand? :confused:

About the undercoat - my painter used it, and my handyman recommended that I use it, when I told him I was going to paint my own bathroom.
So, I think you might want to use it as well.
You might need to plaster, spackle and no-more-gap cracks etc as well.
About the one-coat ceiling paint. Not that I've ever used it, but I'm guessing a thick paint may be harder to use (as an amateur) than a thinner paint. It might end up blobby and drippy. My professional painters used 2 coats of paint, not sure if it was 'ceiling' paint. They did have to spackle, sand and plaster the ceiling too (despite the fact that there weren't any cracks or flakes there, not that I could see). To my untrained eyes, the only thing wrong with the ceiling paint was stains from years of cooking/smoke etc.
About the carpet - you can trim a gap all around the edges with a stanley knife, so you can paint the walls all the way to the bottom.
Then you won't need to mess with drop sheets. I don't like drop sheets because I trip all over them.

Quick comments

Have painted several rooms, and entire new houses (My IP's, my GF builds etc) plenty of times. So, am not a painter by trade, but have a fair bit of painting experience.

- Its boring. Bring a radio/ipod with lots of your favourite tunes.
- It hurts. Cutting in and doing the trim where you have to stand on a step ladder/shelf and hold a brush above your head for hours really gets to your shoulder! It pays to be a 2-handed painter.
- forget the tape. Its a complete waste of time trying to be Michelangelo. You can spend so long taping areas to ensure you dont make a mistake. You can get an equally good result without tape - just have a damp cloth handy to wipe away any imperfections as you go.
- Paint the trim at the same time as you're cutting in the wall. You'll need 2 brushes/2 colours at once obviously. Doubles your efficiency.

All in all its not what you'd call a "fun" job. Every time I'm doing DIY (tiling/sheeting/plastering etc) I think to myself "I am SO glad I'm not a tiler/carpenter/plasterer". Painting is no exception. On the bright side, its very satisfying once you're finished!

How many rooms are you painting?
Will it be worth it?
A single room should cost $500 or so for a pro to do it.

Miss green eyes, it's a 3bed house and floor space about 80sqm, so a pro will be quite expensive considering the limited $5k budget and the amount of things I want/should do, including retailing the bathroom, change floor and refresh kitchen :(

All in all its not what you'd call a "fun" job. Every time I'm doing DIY (tiling/sheeting/plastering etc) I think to myself "I am SO glad I'm not a tiler/carpenter/plasterer". Painting is no exception. On the bright side, its very satisfying once you're finished!
Yes, I am pretty sure I'd regret starting after a couple of hours haha
Both hubby and I do have back pain (his worse) so we need to be careful, music should be covered I think (and I have phone to browse when resting ;)

Just Finished painting one of our IP's. A few things we found or will do differently
- Forget the tapes just buy good quality cutting in brushes. Very frustrating when it brings up chips even though it can be $15 a roll
- Talk to your paint shop and figure out what the existing paint is. If it's oil based and your looking at using wash and wear which is water based, you will need to prep coat.
- get some no more gaps or spak filler, you will definitely need it to cover up any fine cracks or larger ones along the skirtings.
- Sugar soap prior to painting, especially doors and trim. you will be supprised how much dirt and grease is on the walls
- How ever long you think it will take, double it.
- Painting the doors and trim is a huge pain in the ****.

Yes, I am pretty sure I'd regret starting after a couple of hours haha
Both hubby and I do have back pain (his worse) so we need to be careful, music should be covered I think (and I have phone to browse when resting ;)

I just got my 3 bedroom IP painted for under 1000 (excl paints) incl skirting, ceiling and window frames in Sydney.
I did not do it myself. Got a tradie (with 2 of his mates) to do it.
Was better than a DIY job.

At least, I am walking with head high and back straight ;)

I just got my 3 bedroom IP painted for under 1000 (excl paints) incl skirting, ceiling and window frames in Sydney.
I did not do it myself. Got a tradie (with 2 of his mates) to do it.
Was better than a DIY job.

At least, I am walking with head high and back straight ;)

Will your tradie travel to Rutherford for me? :D:p

Back