Problem "owner" in strata complex

Sounds like he has waaay too much time on his hands. Doesn't he have anything better to do with his time?!

Doesn't look like it Jen. There is a lot of huff and a lot of puff due to the two investment properties the husband and wife own, combined :D It makes them "landlords"

I wouldn't pay attention too him. Don't waste your time taking it further, it will just lead to further aggravation.

It sounds like as long as you don't park your car in the visitor parking, he has no reason to trouble you? I think that?s your answer.

Also as mentioned, you need to follow the by-laws regardless of what others are doing.

Don't waste time trying to think of technicalities you may or may not be able to ping him on, he'll probably just enjoy the fight or enjoy finding a way around the problem.

Don't waste time trying to think of technicalities you may or may not be able to ping him on, he'll probably just enjoy the fight or enjoy finding a way around the problem.

Good advice bumskin. He enjoys it...ideally we don't want him around the complex. But he will definitely enjoying any further confrontation.

Do not take crap from this guy. Either use every legal avenue available or get a boyfriend who can fight. They only harass you because they can, like all bullys when confronted with superior force they back off.

in victoria, you can lodge an intervention order with the magistrates court which is free. at the hearing they will assess the nature of issue, whether your evidence is substantial enough to grant you the order. if it is, the police would then issue it to the person. After that, he has to abide by it and failing to do so is a criminal offence which could land him in trouble.

there are many kind of bullies like these in the world, the only solution to these kind of ppl is by taking action against them. good luck

Thanks guys.

I did ask police. They said we can go to the court directly HOWEVER, it will involve a lot of court visits etc. I am just wary of the impact of all this on work commitments, which we cannot neglect.

Evidence should not be hard to collate though, we just need to drop by the strata management company and look at all past records/his interactions with previous owners. At least we could collect the evidence and possibly ask our solicitor to write something up for us with effect of an AVO will be forthcoming in the future on the back of the xyz evidence..

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

I did ask police. They said we can go to the court directly HOWEVER, it will involve a lot of court visits etc. I am just wary of the impact of all this on work commitments, which we cannot neglect.

Evidence should not be hard to collate though, we just need to drop by the strata management company and look at all past records/his interactions with previous owners. At least we could collect the evidence and possibly ask our solicitor to write something up for us with effect of an AVO will be forthcoming in the future on the back of the xyz evidence..

Thoughts?

I imagine the AVO grounds more relate to in-person physical and verbal abuse, rather than strata level disputes.

If its anything like the WA system (and I know its similar), then bringing up other civil disputes probably weakens your case for an AVO.

I think you need to take time to calm down and decide what you think you will achieve by court action. If you feel physically threatened then it may be worth considering. If you just want a type of moral victory over this person then you are on shaky ground.

AVOs are given in an attempt to prevent violence, and there is little evidence of this in your posts. If he has been physically violent (towards YOU, not anyone else) then you will need good evidence that will stand up in court, probably police reports and medical evidence of injuries.

Once you instigate court action, you can be held liable for costs. As the other person (or his spouse) owns a unit in the complex, this will make your task more difficult as this person has good reason to be on the premises. Many married couples put assets in a single name for various reasons but are still considered assets of both.

The fact that in the first place you broke the by-laws and this person had cause to remonstrate with you will also be a factor.

Should you choose to go to court, you must consider the possibility that you may lose, which could turn a difficult situation into an impossible one.

I think the previous advice to simply ignore this person, obey the by laws and defuse the situation is worth serious consideration.

And yes, I know of people who have been awarded AVOs and it is not an easy process and required significant actual evidence.
Marg

Thanks for the post marg. I'm confused. Someone whose a bully thrives on resistance and friction and we have decided to not give him the satisfaction by retaliating for now. However we do know that in the past he has backed off when people put their foot down. Will definitely be engaging police if we are approached again. He needs to get a life...Although he'd like this conversation to continue, we are going to wash it away for now...he won't be happy.

Wonder how his life really is outside strata? Pretty miserable I'd imagine and I can only offer empathy and hope one day he'd go see a psychiatrist or a psychologist to work through his issues with his PRIMARY caregiver which in turn helped develop a bully :)...

This is why compassionate parenting is SO important.

Back