Problem tenants!

Hi David. If only you could see our tenants with the dogs...I think it would be fair to say that these 2 dogs are like surrogate children to the couple whose names are on the lease, and to even ask them to move them outside where the pet annexure allows would almost certainly be a deal breaker. Unfortunately the other couple, who as you suggest may well be annoyed, aren't even on the lease so their objections would be somewhat diluted.

I'll keep the mowing idea for our next tenants. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

How about this order then?

1. Get others names on lease.

Then

2. Insist dogs are kept outside as per lease or they'll all be evicted.

Include a bunnings snip out of a cheap kennel.

How about this order then?

1. Get others names on lease.

Then

2. Insist dogs are kept outside as per lease or they'll all be evicted.

Include a bunnings snip out of a cheap kennel.

Certainly an option...and I like the bunnings idea. :D
Will wait to review the tenant file and make a final decision.

Certainly an option...and I like the bunnings idea. :D
Will wait to review the tenant file and make a final decision.

It won't work.
If they are used to having the dogs inside, they will continue.
They will lie and say they will keep them outside, but you know they won't.Well...maybe for a day or two.

They will wait until you evict them, then move onto to the next property.
Just increase their rent. The place is already dirty.
Who's to say the next tenants will be any better.

It won't work.
If they are used to having the dogs inside, they will continue.
They will lie and say they will keep them outside, but you know they won't.Well...maybe for a day or two.

Totally agree! The real question is whether we are willing to accept this scenario and turn a blind eye.

They will wait until you evict them, then move onto to the next property.
Just increase their rent. The place is already dirty.
Who's to say the next tenants will be any better.

True, although if it was just dirty it may not be so bad. However the downstairs area is really getting knocked around with dogs inside and the build up of smell could be a challenge to remove long term.

Hi,

I registered just to post a response here. I suppose my input isn't really qualified because I don't have any IPs (yet) or even own my own residence (yet). I'm currently renting and I'm a damn fine tenant! I'm constantly amazed at how many bad tenants there are out there and how they get away with such disgusting behavior, then again, I could say the same for landlords.

So I may sound way off-base but am I crazy or are we talking about a house you bought with your hard-earned money? I am all for tenants rights. And I completely realise that you have to put the whole concept of the way things "should" be and simply deal with the reality of the situation at hand in a consequence and action style. But I also believe very strongly in taking a business approach. You can't control how they're going to react and I agree with an ounce of prevention being better than a pound of the cure but I'd be evicting them and getting rid of the problem.

In their minds the precedent has been set that the rules are theirs to take or leave. Besides, I don't count on people to change for the better, it's the whole "Give an inch and they'll take a mile" princple. And they cost of cleaning the carpet will increase exponentially over time and not in a linnear way.

I'd be diplomatic, give them a non-judgmental reason for wanting them to leave and then make sure they're out when they're supposed to be. Clean up and find new tenants. Besides, it'll just stress you out until you do and it's good to start with a clean slate and strong ground rules.

Again, you both know the rules, they're breaking them and you should be within your grounds to tell them to shape up or ship out. Or maybe I'm way off here.

Back