Problems with my new roof.

Today our new roof was finished, I got up on the roof to have a look and found a few issues but I'm not sure what are really issues that I should be pushing the roofer to fix and what things are me just being too picky.
I dont think the roof should be wavy like that, also wondering if the white pipe going through the tin like that is normal, obviously the screw is not normal, which I could fix myself but it one of the issues.

Attachments

• DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN0518.jpg
    DSCN0518.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN0515.jpg
    DSCN0515.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 113
The flashing on this corner looks pretty rough, the roof is a bit wavy on the front as well. None of the cut edges have been painted, is that normal?

Attachments

• DSCN0513.jpg
    DSCN0513.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0519.jpg
    DSCN0519.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0521.jpg
    DSCN0521.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 96
From the pics I am assuming this was an older house that has been re-roofed?
Tile or tin originally?

The white pipe looks pretty standard and I've never seen a cut edge painted.

As for the wave effect. Either the sheets have been put down too tight and screwed at edges first or the timber underneath is bowed.
With older houses that is common but normally you would put a new steel roof batten along the fixing point to even that out.

The only thing I could pick would be the single screw not fixed in, don't know why they left it like that?

Everything else seems passable, but it's a pretty rough/budget job, not much attention to detail shown.
Seems like the existing roof timbers must have been pretty warped looking at the ridge pic.

Thanks for the replies, I thought the timber may have been warped although the orginal tin roof was full of holes and rust but was reasonably straight or at least straighter than the one thats on it now. I did some research into the cutting of the edges and colorbond say its not necessary to paint as the zinc in the metal allows it to "self heal" at the edges to prevent rust.

Attachments

• DSCN0479A.jpg
    DSCN0479A.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
Looking at that warped ridge pic again.
It seems one screwis much higher than all others.

It may not be warped timbers, maybe the sheet/ridge wasn't held down when the screw was fixed down.
The sheet/ridge may have ridden up the hi grip section of the screw.

You could try taking it out, pushing the sheet down and put the screw back in.

Neighbour came to see me today and says "just thought I'd let you know when the roofers pulled the barge capping off there was a large birds nest under there but they didnt pull it out, just laid the insulation straight over top of it" so it looks like the roofers really couldn't give a #### about doing a good job. Maybe I should do them the same courtesy when it comes to paying the bill.

just curious.. did you run with the cheapest quote?

Got four quotes, one was dearer and 2 were cheaper than the one we chose. Chose him because he looked to be the most professional, vehicle painted to match company letter head, clear and itemised quote, etc. Unfortunately we had no other way to choose as we dont know any roofers or anyone who'd had a roof replaced locally.
Incidentally all the quotes were within $1500 of each other.

Seems a quick rough job overall.....
Screws look offline and not spaced evenly.

Is it the lowest tenderer.....?

Some roofers use other workers to actually instal the roof and watch from the ground.....not well finished.

Your original roof looked straight so I am wondering why the wavy roof panels - unless they are overtightened?

What does the roofer reckon?....does he stand by his work?

Say it is not well finished and ask for a discount......show him the pictures.

What does the roofer reckon?....does he stand by his work?

Say it is not well finished and ask for a discount......show him the pictures.

I have sent him an e-mail with pics but dont expect a response until monday. My wife is going to call him on monday and make sure he got the e-mail and to mention some other issues.
I'm not really after a discount, just want him to do the job I properly. I will report back with his response.

Back