Problems????

I came across the following quote, that I thought was quite revealing.

I think it tells us why many people wont take the first step into something new eg property investing. They want it to be perfect and have every contingency covered. They are waiting for the perfect time eg I am just waiting for the market to ......?

"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
- Theodore Rubin

What do you think?

Geekay

Garry,

True, but I don't think it's the main reason many people don't take the first step into new things.

I believe the main reasons are that

a) People don't see the opportunity because they are tuned by society the wrong way.

b) Even if they see the opportunity they do not do the numbers objectively & automatically fall on the risk-adverse side.

c) People have difficulty leaving their comfort zone - even when their comfort zone is uncomfortable!

It's once someone starts preparing to objectively look at opportunities outside their comfort zone that they start inventorying all the problems & then feeling that having these problems will be a problem.

In my humble experience, most people are poor decision-makers. They make decisions at the wrong times and for the wrong reasons. Thus they can be paralysed by too much analysis or worried about making things perfect.

Good decision-making is the art of knowing exactly when to stop delaying and go, even if you only have 90% of the facts - because good decision-makers know that all decisions can be revisited, adjusted and amended after the fact :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Well said AceyDacey :)
I particularly agree with what you said about revisiting your decisions and adjusting them. If you can do this and learn from hindsight then that's a wonderful thing.
The most educated and wise people in this world are those who are not afraid to admit their mistakes.

Hi all,

A quote that always comes to mind is one from Robert Kiyosaki (even tho i dont like him much) "If you find yourself in a [financial] hole, stop digging"

-Regards

Dave

Hi
Read some interesting info years ago on how the original 'guided missiles' worked. (probably different now with lazers, etc.)
They select a target, and move forward. When the target path is offline to a certain degree, the direction is corrected, and continues moving forward. Corrects. Moves forward. etc. Basically worked on the sytem of making mistakes and correcting them while moving forward and refinng the mistakes.
!!!!Sounds like a good system.
Not a good system to have an unalterable plan

Agree that education, or lack of it (financial), and "comfort zone" are biggies on this topic

"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
- Theodore Rubin

"There are no problems, only opportunities for solutions" :rolleyes:
jahn

Back