Properties near/around Gold Coast

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum for this, but I was wondering if any of the members here could tell me what are some of the affordable suburbs near/around the Gold Coast area. I will be relocating from VIC to QLD for work and need to find a good suburb to raise a family, close to good public schools, close to public transport (because I have to commute to Brisbane CDB for work).

I am hoping to buy a house up to $500,000 mark with 3 bedrooms.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Andy

You'd want to be at the north end of the Gold Coast if you are going to commute to Brisbane. Have a look at Upper Coomera, Oxenford or Helensvale, plenty of choices at that price range.

Helensvale and Coomera have train stations, Oxenford does not.

Is there a reason you want to live on (or near) the coast and commute to the CBD? I reckon you will spend a LOT of time in your car.

Is there a reason you want to live on (or near) the coast and commute to the CBD? I reckon you will spend a LOT of time in your car.

Well I am hoping to use public transport so ideally a suburb that has a train station would be good.

I don't mind the commute. I already travel about 40mins each day from where I live to the Melbourne CBD.

Think about Ormeau, older places around Pascoe Rd have larger lots, or around Eggersdorf Rd. The newest estates average about 450m2.

Misread your response, and was probably unhelpful.

Commuting still sucks. There is lots to enjoy in Brisbane of an afternoon rather than a 45min+ train ride, but perhaps you need to be on the Coast.

Last edited:
You would be crazy to consider Coomera or anywhere near it.
Coomera is full of little more than native NZer's from lower socio economic backgrounds with too many children and not enough money. They like to tell their cuzzies back home that they are living on the Gold Coast but they really aren't.
Might as well live in South Auckland.
If you really want to live the Gold Coast lifestlye and are willing to stretch just a little bit more and have access to decent schools away from the riff raff, then Mudgeeraba would be a far better choice.
Rent 1st then you will know whether you are willing to put up with the commute on a long term basis.

Well I am hoping to use public transport so ideally a suburb that has a train station would be good.

I don't mind the commute. I already travel about 40mins each day from where I live to the Melbourne CBD.

If you board a train north of Nerang after 7.30am I doubt you will get a seat.

I lived at the GC (Southport) for 6 months and did the commute to Brisbane. It took approx. 1.5hours door to door on the train. Lucky to get a seat on the train by Helensvale, probably worse now. The drive sucked balls, traffic backed up from at least Springwood, sometimes as soon as you crossed the Logan River. Drive was 1.5hours with crappy traffic too. I would recommend moving closer to Brisbane for sure. Although I did like living near the beaches. But can't see the point if you're not going to be near the beach.

I have never head a positive comment in my entire life about state schools on the Gold Coast. Ever wondered why there are so many private schools there?

I lived at the GC (Southport) for 6 months and did the commute to Brisbane. It took approx. 1.5hours door to door on the train. Lucky to get a seat on the train by Helensvale, probably worse now. The drive sucked balls, traffic backed up from at least Springwood, sometimes as soon as you crossed the Logan River. Drive was 1.5hours with crappy traffic too. I would recommend moving closer to Brisbane for sure. Although I did like living near the beaches. But can't see the point if you're not going to be near the beach.

I agree with this. Move to the beach, or stay in Brisbane. Living half way between seems crazy to me (especially if you have to commute both ways).

I agree with this. Move to the beach, or stay in Brisbane. Living half way between seems crazy to me (especially if you have to commute both ways).

yup.
I would also think living halfway will deliver worse % yields and/or CG than either the GC/beach or Brisbane.

On another note, how's the GC market going in particular south of Broadbeach to the border?

Market is improving oc1. It had a lot of catch up to unfold since the GFC. This coincidently coincided with the pinnacle of the apartment over supply occurring 2008 to 2011. The over supply and the stronger AUD played havoc with the tourism industry here. Overseas numbers fell as it was considerably more expensive to travel here and local Aussie holiday makers took advantage of a strong AUD to go overseas for their travel to USA, Europe, etc. The over-supply has now been absorbed.

I am not actively looking however in my travels I see very few properties for sale and the property insert in The Bulletin is very lean these days. Rentals are also tight. I don't follow the northern end much at all. Anything beach-front or beach side within 5-10 minutes walk to the beach is moving well.

Back